U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 03:24 PM

885 posts, read 1,189,197 times

Advertisements

I woke this morning and stumbled into my 1st floor bathroom to find hundreds of ants all over the floor. BIG ones. Winged black ants and big black ones without wings and some small ones too. I have been spraying raid and vacuuming all day. They seem to have slowed but are still there. I also noticed some small( about 1/16 by 1/4 inch) tannish things at one spot, kind of paperish. Is it possible they are hatching? This bathroom is an addition on my place and is only on posts so I have been spraying outside as well.
Any ideas, cures?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 03:29 PM

4,218 posts, read 4,437,218 times
I moved to a first floor apt. and never in my life saw so many ants at one time. They came in July too. I tried everything natural as I have pets. NOTHING worked EXCEPT TERRO. It is a mixture of boric acid and sugar water (or something sweet that attracts them) they eat it and bring it back to the queen.

They were gone in about 3 days. All of them. You can get it at hardware stores.
Likely you have a queen near by with all those ants. Good luck!

Last edited by brava4; 07-23-2011 at 04:37 PM..

Old 07-23-2011, 03:48 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,611,107 times
How big are they? Are they carpenter ants? Carpenter Ants

Old 07-23-2011, 05:00 PM

7,728 posts, read 10,813,696 times
Carpenter Ants. You can get a large container of boric acid at family dollar or walmart for under $5. Apply it to any cracks/crevises (you can use a small brush or broom to sweep it into the cracks. It's no-toxic and will get rid of them.

Old 07-23-2011, 06:43 PM

468 posts, read 611,460 times
I had the same thing happen to me when living in MA. The house was slab constructed and one July night I woke up in my first floor bedroom to find hundreds of winged ants crawling up the wall behind my bed. They were crawling out of the crack between the foundation and floor slab hiding under the wall to wall carpet. Along with those ants were a few *thousand* more under the carpet when I peeled it back. Though these ants were the small, brown ants commonly called "pavement ants", I think the phenomenon is the same as with your larger, black ants. The nest's population had grown so much that the nest was swarming. Ants have a few different kinds of members even within a nest. Some have wings, some don't. I think the winged ones fly off to start new nests, queens I think, but I haven't researched this.

In any case I vacuumed up all the ants and laid down some of that boric acid/sugar mix in all the cracks as msina says. The ants carry it back and the problem is largely solved for some time. It took a few years to suffer another swarm event and that one wasn't as large.

Slab houses have a bit more of a problem with ants as one is living closer to the soil where ants live (obviously.)

Namder1, I don't think it's a mere coincidence that you and I both suffered swarms in July as I think the population level of an ant colony is calendar dependent to a goodly extent.

Good luck!

Old 07-23-2011, 07:53 PM

393 posts, read 789,795 times
if they aren't carpenter ants, I find that Terro gel works every time. You can get it at the hardware store or Home Depot or Lowes.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:01 AM

885 posts, read 1,189,197 times
I would say they are carpenter ants. My local hardware store is closed today but I will get something there tomorrow after work!

Old 07-24-2011, 07:05 PM

5,487 posts, read 6,428,655 times
Cheap solution- Boraxo (the 20 mule team) and hot cocoa mix. Mix Boraxo and the cocoa mix and sprinkle it around (back edges of counter tops, walls, where-ever they are coming in or where-ever you see them). When they walk in it it will cling to them and they will carry it back to the nest, it will kill off the nest. When they are gone, just wipe up the powder.

Old 07-25-2011, 07:51 AM

7,728 posts, read 10,813,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Cheap solution- Boraxo (the 20 mule team) and hot cocoa mix. Mix Boraxo and the cocoa mix and sprinkle it around (back edges of counter tops, walls, where-ever they are coming in or where-ever you see them). When they walk in it it will cling to them and they will carry it back to the nest, it will kill off the nest. When they are gone, just wipe up the powder.
Boric Acid is the active ingredient in "Boraxo". Boric Acid is approx. $5 for a 1 Qt. container and works on most any insect that creeps or crawls. It disolves their ecto-skeloten and as it sticks to them they carry it back to the nest with them.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:14 AM

22 posts, read 34,345 times
I'll second the Terro. Works great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine