U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 01:32 AM

1,061 posts, read 1,705,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Just curious, but how do they sleep in the sleepers if the motor cuts off after 10 minutes?

Been awhile since I worked with truckers, but they all slept with their motors running. I sat in truck stops last year in my U-Haul and saw many running for an hour to power their air conditioners (I suspect).

Used to be funny in Aroostook county many years ago. Southern semi drivers would turn their diesels off at -40 and stay in a motel. Next morning their truck engine was a brick (along with their fuel) and they had to be towed into a heated garage to thaw out.

Other then that observation, I think you'd be crazy to use anything but gasoline. I haven't had to use a generator (other than to test it) for, at least, five years. Gas goes bad, but I use stabel and burn it through my lawn tractor every summer. Nothing goes to waste. I always have gas around for my tractor and snowblower, so don't need to keep different things around. Gasoline generators are very cheap, but I don't know the cost of a diesel generator (haven't seen one in Sam's Club lately).
Everybody I know used to put that stabil gas preservative in their boats' gas tanks when they stored their boats for the winter.

But if I remember correctly, gasoline sold prior to the 1970's had a much longer "shelf-life" than the gas sold since, and was OK to use without additives, even if it sat for as long as nine months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 07:16 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,628,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
Everybody I know used to put that stabil gas preservative in their boats' gas tanks when they stored their boats for the winter.

But if I remember correctly, gasoline sold prior to the 1970's had a much longer "shelf-life" than the gas sold since, and was OK to use without additives, even if it sat for as long as nine months.
Gas has always lacquered up over the winter. The corn-gas will actually spoil in your tank. This happened in my VMax and trashed the carbs.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:18 AM

5,516 posts, read 6,491,413 times
Quote:
Just curious, but how do they sleep in the sleepers if the motor cuts off after 10 minutes?

Been awhile since I worked with truckers, but they all slept with their motors running. I sat in truck stops last year in my U-Haul and saw many running for an hour to power their air conditioners (I suspect).

Used to be funny in Aroostook county many years ago. Southern semi drivers would turn their diesels off at -40 and stay in a motel. Next morning their truck engine was a brick (along with their fuel) and they had to be towed into a heated garage to thaw out.

Other then that observation, I think you'd be crazy to use anything but gasoline. I haven't had to use a generator (other than to test it) for, at least, five years. Gas goes bad, but I use stabel and burn it through my lawn tractor every summer. Nothing goes to waste. I always have gas around for my tractor and snowblower, so don't need to keep different things around. Gasoline generators are very cheap, but I don't know the cost of a diesel generator (haven't seen one in Sam's Club lately).
Not all have the auto-shutdown, and I suspect that some that do have been disabled. I *think* that some have smaller auxiliary motors but I don't know for sure, just got the idea from random comments heard on the CB channels.

We don't have any trucks with sleepers. I get ticked off at the auto-shutdown because sometimes I have a reason for leaving it running- one is that I don't like to waste time waiting for air pressure to build up, sometimes it gets depleted (air suspension, air-ride seats, lots of braking in short trips in the yard and backing into the docks), and 2, in Winter I want all of the trucks WARM when I'm spending a couple of hours jumping from truck to truck in sub-freezing temperatures to get them all loaded, and then lined up in the correct order according to the drivers' departure times. 10 minutes is more than sufficient to re-build air pressure so I suppose that it is mostly a matter of convenience to me, especially when it's cold- aside from wanting to be able to jump into a warm truck, leaving trucks running saves time in starting and getting them into the docks...and the faster I can get them loaded, the sooner I can get 15 guys off the clock, which makes the Big Boss happier (and he gets very UNhappy if those guys are standing around being paid for doing nothing, waiting on *me*).

Quote:
Gas has always lacquered up over the winter. The corn-gas will actually spoil in your tank. This happened in my VMax and trashed the carbs.
Yeah, I think that maybe I forgot to add some Stabil to the wife's Virago last Fall and when I tried to start it while she was in the hospital I had gas spewing out of somewhere. I haven't torn it apart yet to see what's trashed, she isn't ready to ride yet...could be a line chewed by a critter...and my gas trimmer seems to be having a carb problem- it will fire if I take out the plug and put a couple of drops in the cylinder but, otherwise, no joy. I usually make my mix in smaller cans from a larger one with Stabil already added to it, but C may have got some of the gas at some point, and she wouldn't have done it. (And recently, I have been occasionally pondering the viability of a [class-action?] lawsuit regarding mandated use of E-gas despite the knowledge of the problems it causes.)

Old 08-04-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Yeah, I think that maybe I forgot to add some Stabil to the wife's Virago last Fall and when I tried to start it while she was in the hospital I had gas spewing out of somewhere. I haven't torn it apart yet to see what's trashed, she isn't ready to ride yet...could be a line chewed by a critter...and my gas trimmer seems to be having a carb problem- it will fire if I take out the plug and put a couple of drops in the cylinder but, otherwise, no joy. I usually make my mix in smaller cans from a larger one with Stabil already added to it, but C may have got some of the gas at some point, and she wouldn't have done it. (And recently, I have been occasionally pondering the viability of a [class-action?] lawsuit regarding mandated use of E-gas despite the knowledge of the problems it causes.)
I've begun to store my stuff with tanks and carbs dry now. I pump out the gas tank and run them dry. This corn fuel can spoil in a month in warm weather. Depending on the complexity of your carbs, they can get so clogged that they can't be fixed (at least not economically).

Old 08-04-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
What's corn-gas?

Old 08-04-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:

What's corn-gas?
Gasoline + Ethanol

Old 08-04-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I don't know what a Virago is, but if it is a car that has carbs with mechanical floats, the first place I'd look is to see if the gas is overflowing the float containers.

If it is, probably means the float valve has gummy gasoline residue on it and is stuck and needs to be cleaned or replaced. Normally this is easy to fix on the old cars I'm familiar with.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:36 PM

5,516 posts, read 6,491,413 times
Quote:
I don't know what a Virago is, but if it is a car that has carbs with mechanical floats, the first place I'd look is to see if the gas is overflowing the float containers.

If it is, probably means the float valve has gummy gasoline residue on it and is stuck and needs to be cleaned or replaced. Normally this is easy to fix on the old cars I'm familiar with.
It's a Yamaha motorcycle, V-twin cruiser.

It wasn't coming from the carbs.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I've read that it takes more than a gallon of fossil fuel to make a gallon of ethanol (planting, harvesting, distilling) but I don't know just how accurate that statement is.

What I *do* know for sure, is that in my mileage tests using straight gas vs. 10% ethanol and 15% ethanol blends, the mpg decreased correspondingly with the increase in ethanol. The extent of the decrease was such that my calculations produced the result that I was actually using more gasoline (when combined with ethanol) to travel the same number of miles than I would have using straight gas.

It might be interesting to run a test on a generator to see how the output and fuel consumption might vary with ethanol blend vs. straight gas (trying to stay on-topic and not go off on a rant about how the ethanol addition makes the problem *worse* instead of doing anything to alleviate it).

Old 08-06-2011, 10:29 PM

63 posts, read 115,826 times
Quote:
I've read that it takes more than a gallon of fossil fuel to make a gallon of ethanol (planting, harvesting, distilling) but I don't know just how accurate that statement is.

What I *do* know for sure, is that in my mileage tests using straight gas vs. 10% ethanol and 15% ethanol blends, the mpg decreased correspondingly with the increase in ethanol. The extent of the decrease was such that my calculations produced the result that I was actually using more gasoline (when combined with ethanol) to travel the same number of miles than I would have using straight.
hmmm...that is interesting...going to have to try this myself

Old 08-06-2011, 10:58 PM

29,885 posts, read 47,859,771 times
Quote:
... I've read that it takes more than a gallon of fossil fuel to make a gallon of ethanol (planting, harvesting, distilling) but I don't know just how accurate that statement is....
It depends a great deal upon one's culture.

In our culture, where we do everything using petroleum. It has been shown that production of ethanol does use a great deal of petroleum.

However in other cultures [Brazil] where they do things differently, and do not use petroleum in the same manner. They produce ethanol without using any petroleum.

It depends mostly on your world-view.

There was actually a film and discussion on this topic this evening in Orono, comparing these two worldviews. I was invited, but I declined as I had rode that merry-go-round previously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine