U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 05:31 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
854 posts, read 2,629,058 times

Advertisements

Well I apologize for posting here even though I live in Upstate NY, but I have decided to bite the proverbial bullet and get a standby generator, in the 7-10kw range.

Candles and roasting a chicken in the wood stove is great, but if anyone has any positive things to say about manufacturers, models all making me dizzy. Hooking it up does not seem to be a problem for me.

I would appreciate it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 06:08 PM

9,565 posts, read 14,399,380 times
You can find a propane generator, but unless you are married to a propane dealer and must keep peace in the family, I recommend a Diesel. They are less expensive to purchase and to operate long term. We are far more likely to have Diesel available after an economic crunch than we are propane. You can make Diesel at home if you need to. Nobody can make propane at home.

Silent Diesel Generator

You can buy generators that alternate between gasoline and propane on the same generator. They are quite a bit more expensive than straight gasoline generators.

"Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines"

(Would that be Port Leyden?)

Last edited by Northern Maine Land Man; 07-27-2011 at 06:24 PM..

Old 07-27-2011, 06:57 PM

4,496 posts, read 8,014,370 times
Propane is better for a standby generator that you rarely use.
Diesel is better for a generator that you use on a daily basis.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:16 PM

Why would anybody buy a more expensive generator with more expensive fuel for occasional use? You would be better off to buy a more efficient Diesel generator and put the savings into fuel.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:09 PM

5,693 posts, read 5,949,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines View Post
Well I apologize for posting here even though I live in Upstate NY!
Do you have a natural gas line where you live? Milbank and Generac make generators that run off the natural gas line and require a second panel to be installed. A lot of people where I live are getting them.

http://qualityelectricnepa.com/images/standby-generator-20kw-generac_3x2_a4a397ed736c81e724239409fa7b3591.jpg (broken link)

Old 07-28-2011, 05:09 AM

885 posts, read 1,197,548 times
I bought a gas 5kw unit and it works fine for me. Runs my fridge, pc, tv, and well pump as well as my pellet stove. Goes about 7 hours on a tank. When its 20 below, and you have no power, the cost factor kinda flies out the window.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:10 AM

4,496 posts, read 8,014,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Why would anybody buy a more expensive generator with more expensive fuel for occasional use?
One word.....maintenance. Who wants to deal with the maintenance and old fuel of a diesel engine that you never use. Propane is better suited for long term storage of fuel. Who cares you pay 50 cents more per gallon if you never use it.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:33 AM

Diesel doesn't get bad like the AlGore gasoline with 10% ethanol. You can also run a Diesel on home heating oil. It's essentially the same fuel. Most people in Maine have a lot of home heating oil. We are looking at three different scenarios:
1. inconvenient power interruptions from a downed tree for example.
2. Longer term disruptions like the Ice Storm of 98 when some folks were off the grid for 3 weeks.
3. Prolonged disruptions of fuel supplies due to an economic collapse and/or civil strife.

Hey; These situations motivate increasing numbers of people in our country. The average citizen thinks it can never happen. The above average citizen knows it can happen.

Last edited by Northern Maine Land Man; 07-28-2011 at 10:42 AM..

Old 07-28-2011, 02:35 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
854 posts, read 2,629,058 times
Thanks for the responses. I can see where Northern Maine Land Man is coming from, diesel was my first choice for fuel. I already have a 500 gallon propane tank, that should last easily for long outages which can last a week or more in extreme cases. But if I could make diesel alternatives then I could forget the electric company!

Saves me the hassle of making sure I have enough diesel which can be a problem when there is a severe snowstorm which may prevent me from being able to get fuel.

Now I am looking at the Briggs & Stratton 10,000 Watt standby, good price and seems fairly reviewed same price as the generac 8kw, still need to look more. Looking right now!

Thanks again any other thoughts on a brand being better than another I'd appreciate it. Thinking of getting at sears maybe because they can forklift into my truck and then there's no shipping, like 300+ savings there.

You can make Diesel at home if you need to. Nobody can make propane at home.
Well I have lots of it a mile below my property, just tough to get to

Thanks woxyroxme been looking at those...

Thanks namder1 forgot pellet stoves need electric!

Last edited by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines; 07-28-2011 at 02:48 PM..

Old 07-31-2011, 09:37 PM

8,760 posts, read 16,166,058 times
Diesel?? No way! Diesels won't start when it's cold and when it's REAL cold you have a tank of gelled fuel. Good luck getting a permit to put the tank underground. Diesel is only good for a year before it starts to go bad. Propane lasts far longer, virtually forever. Diesels are great for a construction generator or an isolated business but not for a residence. . My in-laws have a 12,000 watt back up system that runs on propane. It starts instantly when ever the power goes out and they don't even know when it's switched on. It starts itself monthly for a self check and when the fuel is low it even calls the propane company for a refill. They do NOTHING and have power all the time. Diesel generators are a WW2 throwback. I'd even prefer gasoline to diesel in this climate. Diesel would be my last choice for a backup generator. Great for a tractor, or a truck but not a backup generator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine