U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 01:09 PM

447 posts, read 419,894 times

Advertisements

I always buy local (mostly brown eggs) not only are they fresher but less likely to have hormones and antibiotics used
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 06:58 PM

5,969 posts, read 11,134,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiselover View Post
I always buy local (mostly brown eggs) not only are they fresher but less likely to have hormones and antibiotics used
Chickens aren't raised with hormones. Meat breeds were given growth hormones for a brief time. It wasn't effective and the practice was discontinued, and is now illegal. "Hormone free" is a marketing scam.

Old 07-30-2015, 03:40 AM

9,494 posts, read 14,291,662 times
What about BGH or bovine growth hormones?. Are they illegal? Honest question. I don't know the answer. However, I do know that girls are reaching puberty in he fifth grade and that sure didn't happen when I was in school.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:39 AM

29,723 posts, read 47,495,927 times
In recent decades there has been a big push for society to consume greater amounts of soy. Soy is loaded with estrogen and commonly recommended for peri-menopausal females to help regulate things. Soy may be good for older females, but not so much for any males or young females.

Soy is also a big component in chicken feed. One reason is that soy has a lot of protein, but so do all beans. Not all beans have government subsidies making them lower priced and more plentiful though. When comparing chicken feed mixtures using various beans, it appears that by using soy the hens ovulate more frequently.

I had a conversation one time with a Purina feed rep, she was insistent that Purina had tweaked the chicken feed mix to have high protein and for the most frequent egg laying as their test labs could devise. All natural of course

Old 07-30-2015, 08:04 AM

266 posts, read 219,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Soy is loaded with estrogen
Soy Isoflavones | Linus Pauling Institute | Oregon State University
Soy doesn't have estrogen, it has isoflavones, which are estrogen-like.

From that survey, it doesn't appear at all settled what the effects are and are not.

Old 07-30-2015, 08:08 AM

29,723 posts, read 47,495,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camanchaca View Post
Soy Isoflavones | Linus Pauling Institute | Oregon State University
Soy doesn't have estrogen, it has isoflavones, which are estrogen-like.

From that survey, it doesn't appear at all settled what the effects are and are not.
Excuse me, I stand corrected. Thank you.

The most common HRT is soy with naturally occurring isoflavones [which are estrogen-like].

Old 07-30-2015, 11:54 AM

447 posts, read 419,894 times
so then for men to avoid this buying eggs from chickens not fed soy is possible?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine