U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 08-02-2011, 08:56 AM
 
28 posts, read 50,821 times
Reputation: 47

Advertisements

Recently, I've been fantasizing about building my dream home in the Camden, ME area. In this fantasy (which I hope to make a reality in the future), I've built my home waterfront along one of the many lakes/ponds in the Camden area.

Questions to those in-the-know:
-What's the best lake/pond in the Camden area?
- Are "ponds" in the Camden area seasonal? That is, do they dry up? Some of the ponds there are pretty huge, and would qualify as lakes here in Idaho.

Anyhow, let me know your thoughts on the best lakes/ponds there. I plan on vacationing in Camden again this year and will check it out.

Thanks!

Cory
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-02-2011, 09:20 AM
 
Location: Maine's garden spot
3,093 posts, read 5,422,768 times
Reputation: 3136
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorySpackman View Post
Recently, I've been fantasizing about building my dream home in the Camden, ME area. In this fantasy (which I hope to make a reality in the future), I've built my home waterfront along one of the many lakes/ponds in the Camden area.

Questions to those in-the-know:
-What's the best lake/pond in the Camden area?
- Are "ponds" in the Camden area seasonal? That is, do they dry up? Some of the ponds there are pretty huge, and would qualify as lakes here in Idaho.

Anyhow, let me know your thoughts on the best lakes/ponds there. I plan on vacationing in Camden again this year and will check it out.

Thanks!

Cory
Try google maps. The ponds you see on there will still be there when you visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2011, 12:55 PM
 
28 posts, read 50,821 times
Reputation: 47
Thanks, Austin. Unfortunately, Google Maps won't tell me the bug situation at the lakes/ponds (loads of black-flies or horseflies), or the depth of the lakes, or tell me the surrounding ares of the lakes/ponds, etc. I was really hoping for Maine residents in that area to chime in on their opinions on what they think is the best of the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2011, 01:12 PM
 
Location: Maine's garden spot
3,093 posts, read 5,422,768 times
Reputation: 3136
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorySpackman View Post
Thanks, Austin. Unfortunately, Google Maps won't tell me the bug situation at the lakes/ponds (loads of black-flies or horseflies), or the depth of the lakes, or tell me the surrounding ares of the lakes/ponds, etc. I was really hoping for Maine residents in that area to chime in on their opinions on what they think is the best of the best.
Megunticook is tops in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-02-2011, 02:53 PM
 
1,061 posts, read 1,694,660 times
Reputation: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorySpackman View Post
Thanks, Austin. Unfortunately, Google Maps won't tell me the bug situation at the lakes/ponds (loads of black-flies or horseflies), or the depth of the lakes, or tell me the surrounding ares of the lakes/ponds, etc. I was really hoping for Maine residents in that area to chime in on their opinions on what they think is the best of the best.
Don't forget leeches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2011, 03:49 PM
 
90 posts, read 133,329 times
Reputation: 55
Megunticook is the best but also the most expensive. They all have bugs in the spring and at dusk. More so around the swampy areas.

Some cheeper but still nice lakes would be Crawford pond in Union (probably my first chose if I couldn't aford Megunticook or Norton's wich connects), North pond in Warren, and Alford and fish ponds in Hope.
There isn't a lot of lots for sale, so most likely you would need to remodel.

What about a pond excites you. That would help nerrow it down. Speed boats? Fishing? Swiming? Views? Near town? Price? Deep water? No weeds? Traffic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-03-2011, 06:43 PM
 
28 posts, read 50,821 times
Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfish57 View Post
Megunticook is the best but also the most expensive. They all have bugs in the spring and at dusk. More so around the swampy areas.

Some cheeper but still nice lakes would be Crawford pond in Union (probably my first chose if I couldn't aford Megunticook or Norton's wich connects), North pond in Warren, and Alford and fish ponds in Hope.
There isn't a lot of lots for sale, so most likely you would need to remodel.

What about a pond excites you. That would help nerrow it down. Speed boats? Fishing? Swiming? Views? Near town? Price? Deep water? No weeds? Traffic?
Hi BigFish -- Thanks for the response! I really like the Hope area as well and have targeted that as a possible area too.

I'd love to live waterfront so that I could do the following:
1. Just be right there on the water, and enjoy the view.
2. Be able to have quick access to fishing. I'm a big fisherman, and go a couple times a week here in Idaho. Also, being able to ice fish in the Winter right in my backyard would be the bees knees.
3. Swimming -- Love to swim. I prefer going for nightly swims, rather than blasting the air conditioning.
4. Kayak/Canoeing -- I have a single man pontoon boat and various other self-powered boats. I'd love to take those out for spins in my backyard.

I spent a couple weeks in Camden/Rockport/Hope/Appleton last fall and really enjoyed myself. I particularly like how you can have a great amount of privacy/ruralness, but be back into town relatively quickly.

One of the big requirements for my dream waterfront living would be on or close to a road that is plowed in the Winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2011, 02:41 PM
 
90 posts, read 133,329 times
Reputation: 55
I would take a hard look at Crawford then if I were you. There are still some buildable lots and the lake is shaped in a manor that even though there is a fair amount of houses you can have "some" privacy. As much as one can expect in this area anyway. Crawford is deacent fishing lots of bass and a few brown and brook trout. You won't break the state record there but you will need to try hard not to catch something. Lots of people ice fish it as well. There are 3 spring holes to watch out for but thats every where in maine. I live on the main road that runs between cawford and 7 tree ponds and the people are very nice and the union comon is handy just down the road.

Most of the fire roads in these towns are not posted private and you can drive down to have a look. A better option might be to rent a kayak from maine sport in Rockport and have a peek from the water. A call to one of the bigger local realitors could help you out on which may be the cheepest or the best bang for the buck. Try Camden Reality, Jaret and Cohen, Green Keef or Rock Maple Reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top