Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 10:57 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times

Advertisements

great post, informative, thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 11:00 AM

378 posts, read 1,030,561 times
WOW !! I'm likin it. I love people and all but geez, you should SEE this place. I know they're doing it 'on purpose' because property here right now is through the roof. The more of us they can get out of here the more of them can be here. Tearin down all our cool old stuff and building these geezless (mainah talk) and seriously unattractive WAYHIGH rises. Largely unoccupied at present. But the homeless population has increased 26% because all the places they lived are GONE.
I'm whining. I apologize.
I can hardly wait !!! I think I started replying to these in the wrong order so ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Oh, maine, I read last night that there are 51 plantations in Maine! and get this--416 unorganized townships. And as a quick little side note, as I was telling this to hubby last night he says "yes, and we only have 41 people per square mile!" I said "how did you know THAT?" lol....hubby said he talked to a guy last week who moved here from Ohio, and he's very happy about that fact! seems Ohio was at 200 and something... lol--

Old 08-16-2007, 11:06 AM

Default Funny!!

forest ,,, you're just FUNNY !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I am not an expert. I did stay at a holiday inn once though

I heard a story on the radio about a year ago that was explaining the history of the town of Veazie. A guy [okay fine I do not recall his name] lived in Maine, but hated paying taxes. He was a buddy of the governor's, so he petitioned to the governor to be given a land grant of his own, so that he could form a 'plantation'. He could have his own farm, and a community of tradesmen and workers all without having to pay any taxes. He was given a land grant, he formed his own plantation, and years later he died. His old 'plantation' which was formed from the desire of avoiding taxes, is today the town of Veazie, which requires all land owners to pay property taxes.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:12 AM

Default this sounds right

See I always thought that was a man /// wonan communication problem which has resulted in me making DH do all that stuff and also dropping off my car at the mechanic if at all possible.

This is very humorous stuff but also very true.
This same thing has also caused us to do way more of our own work. First call a fencing guy ... watch his mistakes and miscalculations. Then call another. Doesn't show up. Give up. Go to Home Depot. Find out that fences are NOT that tough to build.

It's good to read this outlook from a guy.
I envision moving straight away into the house but that may not happen. However, I believe in the transformative power of positive thought

Except for when it comes to contractors and mechanics ... LOL !!!

Contractors are from X WE are from Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
My 'problem' with contractors has been: they form an idea of what they think you want. Regardless of what words are coming from your mouth. And during a conversation, they will be thinking that you want to build 'X', while you are describing 'Y' to them in painful detail.

They will agree to build this thing for you, but again they are thinking of building an 'X', and you are thinking of them building a 'Y'.

They may well be honest in their intent. And they may honestly have problems with the construction and they may have delays. They will honestly tell you of the delays, and they may absorb some of the costs of those delays.

However the problems that I have had in dealing with contractors, has not truly been an issue of honesty. But rather an issue of mindset.

There is not reason that a steel building can not have a basement. However since they have never seen a steel building sit on anything other than a concrete slab, then they will have the mindset that steel buildings must sit on a concrete slab. So as you show up to begin digging out the basement, they are filling it with concrete.

We have had very little dealings with contractors here. I have done most of the work myself. [after our little basement/slab incident].

We moved up here and into an apartment. I only rented the apartment on the agreement that I only needed to 'winter-over' my family, as I was building a house for them. As soon as spring came, we would be moving into the new house.

And that is what we did.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:16 AM

Default corgis

Yep connections have their way of showing. I used to be able to get things done here that no one else could get done. Then the swarm of 'new people' landed and things changed. So, I'll be well used to being left behind by the time I get there. LOL

Still, you are happy in eastport which is a good sign. I'm so happy for you.
Glad you get to spend some time there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
My observation on contractore/carpenters is that they will promise you a finish date but never meet that date.

We have had 5 rooms remodled so far in this old 4 square house in Eastport and the latest room to be done is the foyer and hallway. The local contractor started on it last March - he's still not finished. If some other, bigger, more paying job comes up while he's working on your smaller job, he's gone to the new one and will piecemeal your job as he can fit it in.

He just lives up the street and every time I tell him to hurry up and finish, he just says since it's inside work, he's waiting for it to rain. Well, it's rained a bunch in Eastport this year and it's still not done.

I've also noticed that the majority of masons, carpenters, roofers, etc. will do a job for a "local" before they will do one from someone from "away".

That being said, I wouldn't trade living this life in Eastport, Maine for anything. Just wish I didn't have to wait another 2 years to move permanently.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:17 AM

Default and that's true too

As a business person it's really important to look after your bread and butter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Life in rural Maine does seem to move a little more slowly. Some local contractors also tend to take work and squeeze it in when they can, mainly I think because you may not be sure of when the next paying job will come up, and they depend on the local trade, so they must put them first. Good luck and hope you get here quickly.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:20 AM

Default extremely interesting

7th generation ! Thanks for sharing this. I hope you are able to retire happily and even ahead of schedule.
This is extremely informative. I have saved it so that I may review it from time to time.
We tried hard to make taxes fair HERE but --- then the gov. decided that ... oh, never mind.
I'm not going to have to worry about that much longer, am I?
I hope not.
Thanks again !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
A lot of "unorganized towns and plantations" are remnants from the surrounding towns. In other words parcels of land that neither abutting towns(organized-self governed with selectmen and or town manager) wanted. Our little hamlet was the slice of land that neither Rumford nor Bethel surveyed in their original town charter. Before we organized into a town (1841) it was called Howard's Gore. Townships are a wonderful place to save tax dollars. There has been a movement as of late to increase the taxes in plantations and townships for the simple fact that surrounding towns have supported the fire and medical needs of these unorganized areas and haven't been reimbursed completely by the state. In some cases (Albany and Mason Townships) this need to increase taxes is credible for the homes built have been 2nd homes and the pressures of police,medical and fire protection have more then tripled. But then you have the townships whose inhabitants have been there for generations and their income is minuscule-to these folks an increase in taxes is not fair. I myself own sizable land in Milton Plantation and look forward to the day I can enjoy the splendid beauty of that valley and retire.

Old 08-19-2007, 05:17 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,517,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Oh, maine, I read last night that there are 51 plantations in Maine! and get this--416 unorganized townships. And as a quick little side note, as I was telling this to hubby last night he says "yes, and we only have 41 people per square mile!" I said "how did you know THAT?" lol....hubby said he talked to a guy last week who moved here from Ohio, and he's very happy about that fact! seems Ohio was at 200 and something... lol--

Ohio is truly the poster child for suburban sprawl. Why do you think I want out!

Old 04-21-2014, 10:24 AM

304 posts, read 396,837 times
Hi Folks,
I've been reading the above/below Posts, and the term "HOA" keeps coming up.

What does the term "HOA" mean?

Thanks,

CTwoodnutt

Old 04-21-2014, 10:43 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTwoodnutt View Post
Hi Folks,
I've been reading the above/below Posts, and the term "HOA" keeps coming up.

What does the term "HOA" mean?

Thanks,

CTwoodnutt

Generally, it's a home owners association. Usually found in subdivisions. They can be a PIA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine