Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 08:00 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,411 times

Advertisements

I have to agree.....on CD I have seen just about every topic on Maine go through at least 3-4 threads. It's like the number of "moving to Maine ones." They are excellent, and many people here helped me make the transition as painless as possible. So, that is one I am not into any more. I occasionally will read one of the posts, but I see the same people helping new people who helped me 4 years ago.

FB is very easy to tire of. Frankly the one thing I don't get at all is Twitter. Who cares what everyone on the planet is doing every minute of their day? I think it's a lot of people who have no lives. If they filled their day like MaineWriter, they wouldn't even think about Tweeting. I don't have a Twitter account, and see no reason to get one.

The internet has become old hat to a good percentage of the users. If you want to research something, its there, if you want to locate someone, its there, if you want to pay a bill, or make a plane reservation, its there. The rest is just fluff. In fact, I am growing somewhat tired of emails. With cell phones and free long distance, why email them?? Just call them up. Texts are good to get a quick message to someone, but even texting is something I rarely do.

I do like to read the blogs, because it reaffirms my belief that most of humanity is not hitting on all cylinders. From some of the posts I have read, I am glad they are just venting on the net, instead of going to high places with rifles and scopes.

Sometimes the blogs are just good for a good laugh. Maybe I am becoming an old curmudgeon, but I don't even like to watch the news. Not that I believe the Mayan calendar is forecasting the end of the world, but with the way things are going (the loss of human reasoning, and increasing insanity of humanity), I can't imagine a better time for the whole planet to go belly up.

By the way all the topics mentioned in this rant have been discussed as threads on CD. How many of you have heard rants on all the topics I just mentioned......that explains the internet has "come of age", and is more of a tool now than an entertainment device.

Just one bloggers opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 08:01 AM

827 posts, read 1,672,383 times
Always got my nose in the computer because here in Hell er Texas just too darn hot. [I really miss the warm temps of the Maine summers] Someday when I gpt the money I will be back.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:25 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,167,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mafriz View Post
Was just thinking this yesterday when I received a message from someone that demanded rudely why I had deleted them and then continued it insist that I not forgot someones birthday

Heh, heh, heh...I'd approach that one of two ways: Either I'd tell him or her "Pssstttt...that attitude's one reason I booted ya." or two I'd ignore it - completely.

I like facebook because I have a humongous family (on both sides - one more than the other) spread across the map. It really has reconnected us. In fact, a family reunion is in the works right now.

I don't friend "clickish" people knowingly. I also accept very few people I haven't met personally. I've trimmed my friends list down to those who tend to respond to a post (at least now and then). I figure what's the point of a "social" network if you're just going to lurk? I don't expect a reply everytime. My ego isn't that big.

I also get a huge kick out of those who click on the bogus "See who's snooping on your wall!" links. I mean really, isn't the whole POINT of fb to snoop on your friends walls? Is it just me?

I posted a note once about my trimming my friends list because I figured it would be fair warning when I showed up amongst the missing.

It was nothing personal, but I didn't want to waste anyone else's space if they were tired of my posting. Likewise, I wouldn't hold it against anyone who unfriended me for those reasons.

As far as not posting much, right now, I should be out picking beans in the garden, but that would require elaborate snorkle/scuba gear to do that right now given the weather conditions, so here I sit avoiding housework like the plague.

Meh, that's how I'm rolling today. Summer's far too short up here not to be outside enjoying it!

Old 08-07-2011, 04:07 PM

63 posts, read 137,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
Always got my nose in the computer because here in Hell er Texas just too darn hot. [I really miss the warm temps of the Maine summers] Someday when I gpt the money I will be back.

I hear you! I am currently in Texas and it is sooooooooooooooooooo HOT

Old 08-07-2011, 06:09 PM

3 posts, read 4,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Here's my method. This morning I got up before 5 am, made coffee, went outside to do chores, came in and poured a cup of coffee. By 9 am my column was written and turned in. I checked in with friends on facebook, which is as cliquish and 8th grade as CD. I went to work in the garden for a couple of hours, picking tomatoes, carrots, peppers, a few tomatillos I missed yesterday, two eggplant, cucumbers and a bushel of green beans. I spent the afternoon taking the boat out to visit at a friend's camp for the afternoon. This evening I caught four fish and watched a bald eagle eating a fish only 100' away on a boulder in the lake. The loons were calling back and forth just before sunset. I lost three pickerel because I'm intimidated by their teeth and wouldn't set the hook. We pulled the boat out of the water in the dark and were back on the main road by 9 pm. No moose, deer or bear on the way home; not even a bunny. DD1 is starting to plan a wedding. DD2 is leaving on a five day camping trip in the morning. I'm visiting a farm next week for a feature article I'll be writing.

Some where in all that rambling there must be a new topic about life in Maine. Let's see - gardening, boating, fishing, wildlife, a wedding, a camping trip. Oh ya! I picked mushrooms today.

I missed the stock market and Capitol Hill as much as they missed me. I'm positive I had a better day because I didn't think about them or my 401k.

Work hard, play harder and enjoy our very short lives.
Maine Writer, Thank you for that post ~ what a Great attitude !!!

Old 08-08-2011, 06:29 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homewardboundmaine View Post
Maine Writer, Thank you for that post ~ what a Great attitude !!!
Thanks. My mother had a lot of plans for her retirement. Instead of retiring, she died at 56. She taught me two things while she was dying. Someday is not on the calendar and worrying is a waste of time that has never made a bad situation better.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:07 PM

3 posts, read 4,115 times
Quote:
Thanks. My mother had a lot of plans for her retirement. Instead of retiring, she died at 56. She taught me two things while she was dying. Someday is not on the calendar and worrying is a waste of time that has never made a bad situation better.
Your Mother was a smart woman!

I see some of the negative insight on this site about Maine. That disheartens me. I was born in Maine, spent my childhood years there, had my all of my beloved family from there. We were the only 'out of staters' whereas my parents moved to MA because of a job my Dad received in Boston.

His parents lived in Livermore Falls, worked in the paper mill, my Dad worked his way up and out of Maine, a veteran in WWII, gratuated UMO with high honors, where he met my Mom that went to UMF. My Mother's Dad died well before I met him, but my Grammy lived in Portland all her life. I had relatives everywhere from Kittery to Carobu. Unfortunately they are all long gone and in Heaven.

I guess my point and question is at 54 yrs old., why is it that there are people that love and/or hate Maine and seems to be an underlining thought of dispair in a lot of posts.... I would assume that from my knowledge that there are the 'haves and have nots' in the state. Perhaps I just answered my own question....nonetheless, I would love to move home at some point, I would probably be among the 'have nots' but I still feel that my life would be fulfilled coming home.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:26 PM

14 posts, read 19,222 times
Quote:
Someday is not on the calendar and worrying is a waste of time that has never made a bad situation better.
Love this; your mother was very wise.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:06 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
I guess my point and question is at 54 yrs old., why is it that there are people that love and/or hate Maine and seems to be an underlining thought of dispair in a lot of posts.... I would assume that from my knowledge that there are the 'haves and have nots' in the state. Perhaps I just answered my own question....nonetheless, I would love to move home at some point, I would probably be among the 'have nots' but I still feel that my life would be fulfilled coming home.
If I had listened to all the doomsday sayers when I posted that I was going to move to Maine, I wouldn't be here right now. You do what you know you can do and you make your life how you want it.

You don't have to be one of the "haves" to have a great life. If all you focus on is what you don't have, then yes, you will be miserable. If you focus on other things, your blessings first and foremost, and are adaptable, unafraid of hard work, have a positive outlook, can find the fun in anything, then who cares what the doomsday sayers say?

I sure don't.

I'm here, despite them.

And I'm loving it.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:15 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:

What is a 'have', and what is a 'have not'?

That is the question that you have to answer for yourself. If you are talking about having scads of money and personal possessions and living a life of luxury, then there may be plenty of 'have nots'.

But how many people are there that are not happy despite having lots of money and 'things'?

I no longer have large amounts of free cash, I can't afford to buy the latest and greatest flat panel TV...but I have a roof over my head and food to eat, and I can spend hours sitting on the porch watching the falcons hunting in the field- which I find to be much more pleasurable than sitting and vegetating in front of the boobtube.

I don't have a new car, or a lot of toys, and life can sometimes be a struggle. There are a lot of 'things' that I no longer have, but that doesn't make me a 'have not'. The things that make me happy now are not the same things that [I used to think] made me happy years ago.

I have what I want, and that makes me a 'have', regardless of what 'things' I don't have.

Only you can answer the question of what it takes to make *you* happy, and if you will be able to find it by moving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine