U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2011, 12:13 PM

294 posts, read 653,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
Unfortunatly crime, gangs, and drugs are everywhere [Even in small towns]. Sections of Sanford is in worse shape then others [check with the Police and they can tell you where it's located].

And diablogun doesn't have a clue.
Keeping telling yourself that Boxcar; I am sure everyone who thinks Sanford is a hole is mistaken by its ugly appearance
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 01:22 PM

2,356 posts, read 4,940,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTwila View Post
Greetings,

Hello. First, I'm trying to assess the quality of life in Sanford, Maine. Likewise, I'm trying to compare it to Rutland in Vermont and Warwick in Rhode Island. Granted, I do understand this is an Apples versus Oranges type question. Any feedback would be great. Thanks
I am from Mass and when you live in More populated areas, or even I guess extremely rural areas where (the community) you live has as big as an impact as anything on your quality of life...

Sanford is a little depressed but so is many other parts of Maine... Maine is a poor state..

But I hardly think you could really comapare to either of the places you have mentioned..

I am sure there are nice areas in and around sanford, nice people, and of course it is a middle of the road size community.. you could technically live in Portland and work in Sanford or vice versa..

So more information would be needed for me to give you a precise answer..

do you have kids and need to know how the schools are?

are you looking for work but have family in Sanford and want to be as close as possible to them?

or maybe you saw that there was some affordable housing in Sanford and want to know why it looks so cheap?

Old 08-12-2011, 06:34 PM

72 posts, read 168,049 times
My family and I are currently looking for housing in York county, lots of houses came up in Sanford for decent money. The houses are all a lot nicer than what I currently have here in Assachusetts. I think no matter where you live there will be "bad" sections, I also think that a home is where and how YOU make it. Some Kids go to "bad" schools and become nuclear engineers, other kids go to "good" schools and become convicts. Its what YOU and your family put into it. I work in Law Enforcement, live and work in a "nice" town, and cant believe some of the stuff I have seen here. I still think my kids will have a better quality of life in a Town like Sanford than they will anywhere in Assachusetts.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:45 AM

2,776 posts, read 6,970,921 times
Lots of housing in the Sanford area, most of York county for that matter suffered from the inflated real estate boom---people got variable mortgage rates on properties that had changed many hands. Those that can't keep up with their mortgages are selling cheap, just as in many places in America these days.

You can't pick a potential home through an internet forum...you need to investigate the area firsthand.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:45 PM

One good look at Sanford is all the OP will need :-)

Old 08-19-2011, 05:33 AM

828 posts, read 1,404,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablogun View Post
One good look at Sanford is all the OP will need :-)
MAYBE in your mind.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:03 AM

2,776 posts, read 6,970,921 times
All one has to do is to check the pix at current real estate sites and you will see lots of bargains intown Sanford; single , double family homes on small lots in neighborhoods , as well as sprawling suburban homes on acreage, on waterfront, and generally highly desirable. If you want to be in walking distance to trendy restaurants and bars or upscale boutiques and such, then don't buy in Sanford. If you want a generally All-American town with wooded parks, a ball field, a Wal-Mart,some chain restaurants with a smattering of " mom -and-Pop businesses ,general suburban shopping, average school, and hospital facilities then Sanford is fine for you.

By the way, the taxes are kinda high.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar Willie View Post
MAYBE in your mind.
Haha, if it makes you feel good to say

Old 11-09-2011, 08:12 PM

17 posts, read 53,304 times
Sanford's alright to live in. There is a huge Main street (the strip), A pretty well known airport, Great Ice cream, the movies, bowling, an intown section, and a ton, and i mean a TON, of rural backroads. There are plenty of 24/7 stores if you need gas or beer at night. McDonalds is open 24/7. There aren't that many jobs there but fortunately it's close enough to Portland and Portsmouth so you can commute. I would definitely say it's rougher then Rutland Vermont. There are nice people but there are also tough guys. You will hear loud vehicles and street bikes all day and night, but thats not really that bad. If you don't like loud music driving by your house at 3 in the morning, don't move to Sanford. But I don't know where you can avoid that really. There are plenty of scumbags in Sanford so do not leave your car unlocked. I wouldn't leave my car unlocked anywhere though, nice town or rough town. If you smoke pot you will love Sanford, there is a lot of it there and it is cheaper then most places in NH and ME. I hear they are getting a Medical Marijuana dispensary too. If you are a transplant from Mass, you will feel at home. At least a quarter of the people I met when I was there were from Mass too. So it's kind of rowdy. There are a lot of young pregnancies here and a lot of people walking through town pushing babies, but hey more population on the way isn't a bad thing. If you like non fancy restaurants but a GOOD big cheeseburger plate, Sanford's the place for you. There aren't too many murders in Sanford. The crime is basically Theft, Rapes (unfortunately), Sex Offenders, and Drugs. Dont mess with others you wont get messed with (sound familiar?) The Cops are good, but they really aren't strict so if you are used to getting pulled over just for being out late, you won't have that problem here. Overall I moved up from MA and I loved Sanford compared to other Maine towns. It's not the easy going, let out of staters get away with talking tough type of Maine people think of. Run your mouth here you will get into some trouble. It's a tough, blue collar, community, so I would say it's like a smaller version of Warwick (my buddy goes to college there).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine