U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 03:06 PM

4 posts, read 4,125 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I have a question my wife 'american' and I 'from Holland' are planning to move back to the states as my wife just wants to move back "homesick" and I like to come along to.
My profession being a Boat /Yachtbuilder asks to live near the water ofcourse or closeby but what would be a strategic place to live considering the amount off Boatbuilders in the state of Maine.
I've been trying to find answers but find it quite hard.
And if anyone knows some one that needs a good craftsman here I am!!!!.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 03:40 PM

63 posts, read 100,987 times
Hate to be the one to tell you, but boat building in Maine right now is in a REAL bad way. Many folks with long years of experience are looking for work, and finding none. You may want to wait a year or two and try again then.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:45 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,855,908 times
Morris Yachts recently advertised to hire. Here are a couple of links or you can google Maine boatbuilders. The best place is probably the one where you find employment. Some would say southern Maine near Portland; others will say Mid Coast, and some would say Down East and Acadia region. I would probably choose Down East and Acadia region.

jobs at Morris Yachts | Morris Yachts - boat builder of daysailers and ocean series semi-custom yachts

Boatbuilders - Maine Coastal Directory

WESMAC Custom Boats: Maine Boat Builder, USCG certified vessels, Custom Boats, high efficiency, high performance boats

Welcome to Hinckley

Old 08-10-2011, 07:00 PM

9,485 posts, read 14,286,680 times
My father told me long ago that during the Depression people were riding around in Cadillacs, Packards and Deusenbergs. They were building beautiful homes on the lakes. He said, "There will always be people with money."

People will always be buying good boats. Maine and Holland are where good boats come from. You will do well here Jozef.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
My father told me long ago that during the Depression people were riding around in Cadillacs, Packards and Deusenbergs. They were building beautiful homes on the lakes. He said, "There will always be people with money."

People will always be buying good boats. Maine and Holland are where good boats come from. You will do well here Jozef.
You are so right, NMLM. The people buying those boats--yachts, sailboats, etc. (even special ordering them) have the money to buy them.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:57 AM

Thanks for the very quick responds, and the links.
I had seen Morris yachts actually and all of the other yachting company's in Maine. But finding it hard in the way of choosing the place of living. Not to be dependend of one company, so wandering what place is best for living working not just me but in general.
How is the current economic situation affecting dailylive for the Main population.
Because with this crisis in the world in Holland I've always had/ have work but you have to search GOOD.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:44 AM

After locating the company's on a map, I think ellsworth area might be best for my family. Any suggestions on that anyone!???
Nice area?
I could not find to much on this forum about ellsworth. apart from wearing layered clothing.
And about the houses for sale, that cost about 50k.
I understand that that needs a lot of TLC but are there also big hidden things that I'm not seeing here..
And how about living in a mobile home for winter how is that. I have a 4 Month old son and I don't want him to die.
In Holland we live in brick houses, wood is a no for most people here so there for my question's.
And we do not even have strong winters.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:32 AM

Lots of people live in mobile homes in Maine and live through the winter....lol....

If you found/find a house for 50K in the Ellsworth area, I'd like to see a pic of it.

Morris Yachts, Hinckley's, and Wesmac are all within driving distance of Ellsworth. I get no kickbacks so it doesn't matter to me which one you work for. You might want to rent for a while. That way you are not dependent/tied to one area or one company. If you are really going to make the move, I guess you need to start somewhere. I have a friend who moved to the Ellsworth/MDI area from Sweden MANY years ago and he hasn't worked for the same boat company all his life. If you are truly a "craftsman" your work will be appreciated and you should be able to make a living.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:59 AM

5,487 posts, read 6,426,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jozefdeboer View Post
After locating the company's on a map, I think ellsworth area might be best for my family. Any suggestions on that anyone!???
Nice area?
I could not find to much on this forum about ellsworth. apart from wearing layered clothing.
And about the houses for sale, that cost about 50k.
I understand that that needs a lot of TLC but are there also big hidden things that I'm not seeing here..
And how about living in a mobile home for winter how is that. I have a 4 Month old son and I don't want him to die.
In Holland we live in brick houses, wood is a no for most people here so there for my question's.
And we do not even have strong winters.
Although you may be able to find houses or mobiles for $50k, you shouldn't expect to find them in 'move in' condition...well, not what your wife would consider 'move in' condition anyway . Unless your wife is extremely understanding and is willing to put up with sub-standard conditions while 'fixing up', you should be prepared to spend two to three times that much, at least (or prepared to endure a certain amount of verbal abuse and possible divorce).

Old 08-15-2011, 09:41 AM

129 posts, read 359,879 times
Any where in Holland is located near a wide variety of cities and activities. Coastal Maine is as beautiful as any location in the world. However if you live more than a short jog north of Portland, you will feel isolated coming from Holland. If you like isolation, then there are so many beautiful towns. If you want to see other people in the winter time I would start my search between Boothbay and NH. When looking for a job you might look to work for a boat building school as well. There use to be one in the Camden area. There is another one farther south but I am not sure which city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine