U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 09:54 AM

1,158 posts, read 2,122,663 times

Advertisements

Agreed, they roll up the sidewalks in Bar Harbour in the winter. Lots of snow, and not many people out and about during winter. Most places close. I can't tell you what the winter population is, but it is only a fraction of the summer population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 10:45 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,047,784 times
I'm agreeing with hennybenny on this one. (That seems to be happening a lot lately!) I am in my 20s and love Acadia and hiking. I am also trying to move to the Acadia area, but I am not limiting myself to jobs in Bar Harbor because professional opportunities are almost non-existent there. I was pleasantly surprised by Bangor when I drove through town a few weeks ago. By working in Bangor you can live to the South and be only 30-40 minutes away from Acadia to visit on weekends. As for the work week, there are plenty of trails to hike/run in towns bordering Bangor. You could even live North of Bangor and be a short drive away from Baxter State Park for visits on the weekends. (Baxter hiking is significantly more strenuous than Acadia though.)

When it comes down to it, you need to go where you can find a job and Bangor has jobs (some) in a great location to 2 major parks. It also has minor nightlife and tons of shopping. If you need to be on the coast, go to Portland, but you may be disappointed that the only major trail system in the area is at the Rachel Carson Wildlife Preserve. As far as Bar Harbor "living" goes, you may not even want to live there since there's very few young adults in the area.

Good luck with your search! We're living through hard times and it may take a lot of muscle to get a good paying job

Old 08-16-2011, 12:42 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,611,107 times
I've spent quite a bit of time in Bar Harbor and on Mt Desert Island. I also spent a lot of time in Old Orchard as a kid. Most people would not want to live in either place. Both have some natural asset, but they are both tourist traps. People living there grow to hate the summer, and as a Mainer, you don't want to grow to hate the summer in Maine.

Let's just pick a city at random.... Bangor. From Bangor you can drive a very short distance and be away from the tourists and in the middle of nature. You can drive to Greenville and explore the Moosehead Lake region. Or drive to the lakes in Washington County. Or drive to Millinocket and visit Baxter State Park. Or drive to Ashland and just see the woods. On Mt. Desert Island, all that you have is the ocean (which I love, but you can see anywhere in coastal Maine), the second busiest national park in the country, a bunch of tourists in the summer, and almost no one in the winter.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:04 PM

3,015 posts, read 4,872,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
Agreed, they roll up the sidewalks in Bar Harbour in the winter. Lots of snow, and not many people out and about during winter. Most places close. I can't tell you what the winter population is, but it is only a fraction of the summer population.
You've been working in Campobello too long. Good thing your going up hte hill here.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:06 PM

3,015 posts, read 4,872,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
I've spent quite a bit of time in Bar Harbor and on Mt Desert Island. I also spent a lot of time in Old Orchard as a kid. Most people would not want to live in either place. Both have some natural asset, but they are both tourist traps. People living there grow to hate the summer, and as a Mainer, you don't want to grow to hate the summer in Maine.

Let's just pick a city at random.... Bangor. From Bangor you can drive a very short distance and be away from the tourists and in the middle of nature. You can drive to Greenville and explore the Moosehead Lake region. Or drive to the lakes in Washington County. Or drive to Millinocket and visit Baxter State Park. Or drive to Ashland and just see the woods. On Mt. Desert Island, all that you have is the ocean (which I love, but you can see anywhere in coastal Maine), the second busiest national park in the country, a bunch of tourists in the summer, and almost no one in the winter.
I lived in Bangor for a while. It's a good "jumping off" point. Close to most of Maine and all the good things.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:02 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,940,545 times
Hi Bill,
I live in Bar Harbor year around and have for 30 years. If you want to email me through my profile maybe I can help you out in some way. Or answer some questions or give you my opioion on a few things.

Old 08-16-2011, 04:07 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,940,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
BillSPreston, I sent you a PM about a professional job possibility in Bar Harbor.

I was going to take it but I think the commute is too much at this time. Too bad my timing wasn't better, I actually wanted to live in Bar Harbor.

Oh well, there's hopefully a next time but maybe you can get in there.

Jackson Lab?

Old 08-16-2011, 05:08 PM

1,808 posts, read 2,892,417 times
I'd vote for the Bangor area based on all the op's criteria. With the outdoors (woods/ocean) close by, you'd still have all the modern conveniences of a small city.

As far as nitelife, I think I remember what that was. Is that when you go out at night and not go to a relatives house?

I have to say, the title of the thread is a little depressing to me. I want to be young and moving to Bar Harbor for crying out loud.

Old 08-16-2011, 05:26 PM

6 posts, read 8,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
Hi Bill,
I live in Bar Harbor year around and have for 30 years. If you want to email me through my profile maybe I can help you out in some way. Or answer some questions or give you my opioion on a few things.
Thanks, I will send you a message this weekend when I have more time to sit down and write.

Thanks to everyone else for the other comments too. I guess Bangor is more practical, but my dream is to be able to get into Acadia a few times a week. In any case, I am going to make a trip up to Maine this winter so I can see for myself what its like...

Old 08-16-2011, 08:43 PM

5,487 posts, read 6,428,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillSPrestonEsquire View Post
Thanks, I will send you a message this weekend when I have more time to sit down and write.

Thanks to everyone else for the other comments too. I guess Bangor is more practical, but my dream is to be able to get into Acadia a few times a week. In any case, I am going to make a trip up to Maine this winter so I can see for myself what its like...
Why does it have to be Acadia?

I live 20 min. from Bangor, and really, own my own 'park'- 20+ acres of 'greenspace'...and I'll bet it cost a lot less than what you have now. Granted there isn't anything to 'do' in this town but Bangor is less than 20 miles away. Why 'go to' a park when you can live in one?

Not trying to slam your choice, just trying to understand. If there's some particular reason you want Acadia, that's fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or