U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 09:10 PM

6 posts, read 8,609 times

Advertisements

Acadia is just special. I've been hiking/climbing in many different states/countries, but there is something about Acadia that just does it for me. I love the scenery and the variety of activities available...awesome hiking trails, biking on carriage roads, rock climbing on ocean cliffs, rock climbing on granite faces, kayaking, being able to come down from a hike and have some tea at the Jordan Pond House, etc. Did I mention the scenery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 08:22 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,538,407 times
I do think there is a huge difference between enjoying Acadia on vacation and living there year-round, though.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:02 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,664,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
I've spent quite a bit of time in Bar Harbor and on Mt Desert Island. I also spent a lot of time in Old Orchard as a kid. Most people would not want to live in either place. Both have some natural asset, but they are both tourist traps. People living there grow to hate the summer, and as a Mainer, you don't want to grow to hate the summer in Maine.

Let's just pick a city at random.... Bangor. From Bangor you can drive a very short distance and be away from the tourists and in the middle of nature. You can drive to Greenville and explore the Moosehead Lake region. Or drive to the lakes in Washington County. Or drive to Millinocket and visit Baxter State Park. Or drive to Ashland and just see the woods. On Mt. Desert Island, all that you have is the ocean (which I love, but you can see anywhere in coastal Maine), the second busiest national park in the country, a bunch of tourists in the summer, and almost no one in the winter.
I love Bar harbor, and know many people who have moved there and love it. Of course I come from the heavily touristed Amish country and I don't mind that at all. I actually like tourists.

But unlesscyou are retired, you may have trouble finding work. Work won't be a big issue for me. I'm coming in with pensions to spend on the town.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:15 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,664,650 times
You also need to remember that living in Bar Harbor is not the only option for living on Mount Desert island. There are outskirts even in the town of Bar Harbor where tourists NEVER GO. And there are parts of the island in Tremont and Southwest Harbor where you will rarely see much traffic EVER.

My house is on a road in the town of Bar Harbor which rarely has any traffic, so unless I choose to go to the grocery store in the VILLAGE of Bar Harbor, I may never see hardly anybody. If I choose to go to the growery store elsewhere, less of a problem. And if you take the back way into Ellsworth, the only time you are like to encounter any traffic is on Saturday morning. In my expereince the only giant traffic day is July 4. Any other time is pretty drab compared to traffic around the dutch country in Lancaster County PA.

Its all relative.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:37 AM

1,061 posts, read 1,694,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
I love Bar harbor, and know many people who have moved there and love it. Of course I come from the heavily touristed Amish country and I don't mind that at all. I actually like tourists.

But unlesscyou are retired, you may have trouble finding work. Work won't be a big issue for me. I'm coming in with pensions to spend on the town.
What are the options for keeping a boat on Mt. Desert? Are there any Marinas with dockage on the quiet side of the Island or is it moorings only?

Old 08-19-2011, 12:31 PM

3,093 posts, read 5,422,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
What are the options for keeping a boat on Mt. Desert? Are there any Marinas with dockage on the quiet side of the Island or is it moorings only?
There is a marina in Southwest Harbor. I can't remember the name of it.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:51 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,694,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
There is a marina in Southwest Harbor. I can't remember the name of it.
Is that Dysart's?

Would Southwest Harbor be considered the quiet side of My Desert (i.e., less touristy)?

Old 08-19-2011, 06:00 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,430,139 times
To me the "quiet side" has always been Northeast Harbor. I have to chuckle when I read posts in CD from 20 somethings who want to live where they can climb, hike, kyak, have a great nightlife and a good professional job and only have to commute about 10 or 15 miles. When you find this place, let us all know.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:56 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,939,800 times
Officially Southwest is called The Quiet Side however Northeast Harbor is much quieter than SWH.Nicer too.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:59 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,939,800 times
Northeast Harbor has dockage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or