Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 06:14 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,908,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Thanks for all the great tips. We do have brown recluse spiders pretty bad here, and have to be very careful. We also have deer on the roads and the occasional escaped cow. Those are the most dangerous. Good to know that we don't need to worry so much about aggressive animals attacking when we run up against them.
Just curious about where you're living, with the combination of wildlife you've mentioned in your posts (brown recluses, rattlers, water moccasins). I'd guess you're somewhere in a strip that would run from AL on the east to TX on the west. Just wondering. Sounds as if dealing with your wildlife must make life exciting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2007, 06:26 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,418,445 times
We're in SE Texas. I have been told there are coyotes in the more country/wooded areas. They've been known to wipe out chicken houses. Our biggest worry right where we live are the spiders and snakes. And yes, they are the most ominous, as you rarely see them before it's too late.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:27 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
I'd much rather come face to face with wildlife in the woods than some outta stata who can't drive on anything less than a wide road with paved shoulders! THAT will be how I meet my end!

When I was in high school I hiked Katahdin for the first time and saw my first bear up close and personal. By the time it was over, I was in a tree, and he was walking away-- well, swaggering is a better way to put it! It's funny now, but my heart still races a bit when I think about it! I love seeing the wildlife here, and for the most part, you won't ever be in danger. Just use common sense, and remember the woods are their home, and you'll be fine!

Old 08-14-2007, 08:20 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,822,169 times
telephoto lens

Old 08-14-2007, 11:54 PM

306 posts, read 1,036,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th generation View Post
Moose are aggressive when rutting (mating) and should be avoided. One friend was putting in fenceposts and charged by a bull moose. He kept my buddy in a tree for 2 hours before finally leaving!
That reminds me, one time my friend was just going down a logging road up in the county when he came across a moose just walking up the road. they followed it for about two miles before it got mad, turned around and charged. My friend just put it in reverse and went for a while before the moose gave up.

Another friend was just sitting in the passenger seat while his father was going down a camp road and a moose came running out of the woods into the side of the truck. Scared the crap out of him, he looked up and a hoof hit the window, cracking it.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:23 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
ive hiked and hunted in the maine woods all my life,,,never seen a bear,,a bear sighting is very rare, and usually they keep to themselves,,,ive seen coyotes ,,crossing the road,,but not in the woods,,id love to see a bobcat or lynx, but havent yet,,
seen many many deer and moose,,deer are skittish and moose are usually too,,,ive seen many moose beside the road,,got out to take a picture, as soon as they are aware you are there,,they run,,

but to be cautious,,,and because ive seen too many tv shows about bears attacking,(not in maine),the best defense is pepper spray,,,
they have a nose better than a hound dog,,and ,,pepper spray will deter any bear,,,
actually, id think pepper spray would be a good deterrent for any animal,,four legs or two,,
so,,if you do any hiking deep in the maine woods,,,if you have any worries at all,,just bring some pepper spray,,,
coyotes will avoid you and there are no wolves in maine,,if there is,, they are on the western canadien border,,

Old 08-15-2007, 11:02 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
We have a lot of moose, deer, beaver, wild turkey.

We have an occasional bear, but I just do not see one weekly. Whereas I do see the others daily to weekly.

Slow down and sometimes you can chase the moose of the roadways. Most of the time the moose around here are standing in the ditch alongside of the roadway. And they let you zoom by them.

I have had issues with both the turkey and the beaver. The turkeys will gather at the side of the road, and as a car is approaching, they will make a dash to cross the road. They can really mess-up your grill and headlights.
I have stopped twice for beaver, dragging trees across the road. Once he was so focused on dragging the tree, that I helped drag the other end of the tree for him [I just wanted to pass on along the roadway, but with that huge beaver and the tree both in the road, I was blocked].

When I have seen bear, I turn around and walk away. Then once I am safely out of sight, I begin singing out loud, and once again continue down the trail that I was doing. So long as I am loud, before the bear can see me, then they are gone from the trail when I return to the spot where I first saw them.

I do have neighbors who bait and hunt bear on my land each year. They generally take one bear per season.

It took our neighborhood trapper two seasons to get all the beaver off my land. But they are no longer on my land now.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:58 PM

71 posts, read 252,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
When I have seen bear, I turn around and walk away. Then once I am safely out of sight, I begin singing out loud, and once again continue down the trail that I was doing. So long as I am loud, before the bear can see me, then they are gone from the trail when I return to the spot where I first saw them.

. . . It took our neighborhood trapper two seasons to get all the beaver off my land. But they are no longer on my land now.
LOL! I've never met anyone else (besides myself) who sings loud after sighting a bear! Most people seem to think that is a bit odd!

Beavers are pesky, persistent critters. They will build anywhere they hear running water, even if it's only a trickle. Always remember to turn off your faucet!

Old 08-15-2007, 02:43 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,450 times
[quote=flycessna;1278644]I have never seen a beer while out an about. if you want to see one I here their are some places...like dumps where they frequent. I think they would just assume avoid any contact with us. have not heard of any beer attacks in Maine in the last 12 years living here.
QUOTE]

Ok where do these famous wild "beer" hang out? I've lived in Maine for 53 yrs and have to hear of a "beer attack". LOL
Sorry that was just too funny to let pass without a comment.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:47 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,450 times
We have a herd of deer that hang out in the woods out behind our barn. Have many photos and videos of them. I will never forget the day when my barn cat was out sleeping in the sun and a deer walked up and sniffed him. I think that poor cat is still running. LOL
Another comical one was the day another barn cat thought he'd stalk a wild turkery, til said turkey turned around and walked up to him.
Have had moose wander through at various times. Had foxes out back and have videos of them and their kits. Guess at one time there was a bear in the woods across the street, but I never saw it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: