U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 02:06 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,694,436 times

Advertisements

I'll be needing to buy a car or truck soon, and am wondering what might be the best all around vehicle for personal use in Maine, both north and south of the Volvo line?

I've always wanted a pickup truck, but I figure used ones are a bad bet because the previous owner might have beat them up.

And new 4x4 full sized pickups list for over 30K, which is a lot of money to rot away from the brine they put on the roads.

Maybe I should buy some other 4x4 car, and after I settle in to Maine, buy an old pickup as a second vehicle for when I need to haul lumber, furniture, etc?

Old 08-15-2011, 02:57 PM

3,093 posts, read 5,421,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
I'll be needing to buy a car or truck soon, and am wondering what might be the best all around vehicle for personal use in Maine, both north and south of the Volvo line?

I've always wanted a pickup truck, but I figure used ones are a bad bet because the previous owner might have beat them up.

And new 4x4 full sized pickups list for over 30K, which is a lot of money to rot away from the brine they put on the roads.

Maybe I should buy some other 4x4 car, and after I settle in to Maine, buy an old pickup as a second vehicle for when I need to haul lumber, furniture, etc?
Sounds like a good plan.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:18 PM

9,481 posts, read 14,283,094 times
If I ever buy another automobile it will be a Subaru Forester.

For a pickup I recommend the GMC Sierra.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:48 PM

17,152 posts, read 22,161,261 times
they make cars much better than they use to, id go for two decent used ones, than a new one

I just got a leftover 2010 sonata, and very much like it- good gas mileage too

I also have a ford focus with 234k, used that the last few years, nice little car, but will never get another light car with 50's tires too wide, dont hug the road, hydroplanes in the rain

i have an suv, will not buy another- would rather have an older truck and 2nd hand car
altho if i won the lottery, the escalade would be at the top of the list

I bought a new nissan truck (because i HAD to have a truck)
years ago, but didnt use the thing, ended up selling it

before you pull the trigger on a vehicle, check with the insurance rates- they differ amongst vehicles

if i had to pick ONE vehicle in maine- still difficult, ...depends on how many passengers, if you need high mpg, if you live on a dirt road, etc

subaru forester is a darn good choice for all around vehicle

Old 08-15-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
they make cars much better than they use to, id go for two decent used ones, than a new one

I also have a ford focus with 234k, used that the last few years, nice little car, but will never get another light car with 50's tires too wide, dont hug the road, hydroplanes in the rain

i have an suv, will not buy another- would rather have an older truck and 2nd hand car

before you pull the trigger on a vehicle, check with the insurance rates- they differ amongst vehicles

if i had to pick ONE vehicle in maine- still difficult, ...depends on how many passengers, if you need high mpg, if you live on a dirt road, etc

I'm single so I would just be hauling around me.

Although I'm sure a little extra room would come in handy in case any of my future neighbors need a ride.

I would likely be driving all kinds of roads, paved, dirt, gravel.

I suppose I might have to haul my trash to the dump, so I'd need a place on board to put the trash.

So best all-purpose vehicle, ready for almost anything within the range of usual driving on-road in Maine, for which I can also find experienced mechanics and parts in Maine.

I'm also a big guy, so I need a roomy interior.

And gas mileage doesn't concern me (I telecommute, so the only driving I'll be doing will be for supplies and exploring).

Old 08-15-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
If I ever buy another automobile it will be a Subaru Forester.

For a pickup I recommend the GMC Sierra.
Thanks, but why do you like the Sierra better than a Ford 150?

Old 08-15-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

Good point about the insurance rates.

BTW, are there any colors I should stay away from?

Old 08-15-2011, 04:47 PM

3,093 posts, read 5,421,255 times
Quote:
Thanks, but why do you like the Sierra better than a Ford 150?
I just got a new Sierra. It's nice. The F-150's are nice too. I went for gas mileage and pulling power. The new Fords have the good combo in the twin turbo 6 cylinder. I just didn't feel comfortable with that. I hear it's a really good motor though.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:03 PM

29,719 posts, read 47,472,880 times
In 2008 my Dw bought an '08 Chevy Aveo, she commutes 5 days/week in it, and she really likes it.

I have a '92 F-150. It is fine by itself. But if I put a little weight in it, she has a hard time pulling. I have loaded 2,000 to 2,250 pounds of manure in her 20 or 30 times, and even hauling that much gravel she has a real hard time getting up to speed. This spring I had her empty and pulling an empty trailer and she blew the radiator pitcock out, just bringing the trailer home from the dealership. Then a month ago I thought that behavior was behind us, so I was pulling the trailer but this time carrying my tractor, she refused to climb a hill and then she blew the radiator. F-150s are fine empty and not pulling.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:36 PM

17,152 posts, read 22,161,261 times
Quote:
Good point about the insurance rates.

BTW, are there any colors I should stay away from?
I use to like black, but have learned the darker colors show the dirt more

i have a silver car, which is probly the best car color wise that didnt show the dirt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or