U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2011, 09:43 AM

2 posts, read 3,849 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have always dreamed of driving up the East coast from Maryland to Maine during the fall. We would love if the locals could help us plan this trip. We have been up and down the southern east coast and usually spend our time vacationing in South Carolina, so this is going to be a nice twist on what is normal to us. We absolutely love the beach, boating, fishing, well, anything involving the water.

We have never stayed in a B&B, but I think this would be a great trip to venture down that road and really get to know the locals and their towns.
Any suggestions on what scenic route to take from Maryland to enjoy the gorgeous fall foliage? Which towns & places to stay in for a night of two? We would love to hit the lighthouses, diners & dives, and pretty much stay away from the tourist trap areas. What about whale watching in Maine once we arrive? Any and all recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!

I am thinking that we will take a week to drive up and back - like leaving on a Saturday morning and returning the following Saturday.

Can't wait to hear from the locals!!!! Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 10:50 AM

48 posts, read 95,527 times
I hove no experience driving that route, but it sounds to me if you are going to be taking the scenic route (as in the coastal drives and stopping here and there for shopping, touristing, excursions, etc.) there and back, that one week is not very much time to do it. Unless you drove up the scenic route and spent the last day of your vacation driving back to Maryland on the interstate. Either way, I'm guessing that with the constrained time you won't make it far into Maine, maybe just York and/or Cumberland County.
This website: Maine Bed and Breakfast Inns. Find ME B&B's & Lodging Listings. has a searchable list of Bed & Breakfasts in Maine, with reviews and links to websites. Once you decide which town you will end up in, you can use the site to select a B&B that meets your needs and desires. When you call to book your room, be sure to ask the inkeeper/host about whale watching trips and other fun things to do nearby. The hosts of small establishments like these are usually great resources for area attractions.
Sounds like a fun trip!

Old 08-18-2011, 11:31 AM

492 posts, read 1,204,855 times
Know you won't do it this year, but take a look at this private efficiency apartment:

East Boothbay Vacation Rental - VRBO 188288 - 0 BR Boothbay Harbor Area House in ME, Efficiency Apartment Located in Private Home (http://www.vrbo.com/188288#features - broken link)

We have it the first week in Oct. Going to be a big change from Florida...

Last edited by lcole07; 08-18-2011 at 11:33 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-18-2011, 11:57 AM

3,442 posts, read 5,430,139 times
You would probably be able to see more if you did part of your trip on the interstate as route 1 is VERY long and takes you to every bit of the coast, and our coast line is very very long. There are some lovely B & Bs in Camden and Rockland. For beauty, Camden cannot be beat. I'm sure there will still be boat excursions out of Camden Harbor in the fall. Also if you get to Boothbay be sure to take in the Coastal Botanical Gardens there. We went for the first time in July of 2010 and it was fantastic. It is open year round with much beauty and many walks and gardens. If you stay overnight in Boothbay Harbor I can recommend Captain Fish's as a place to stay with a harbor view and very short walk to the village.. Thistles is a great place to have dinner. I hope your trip will include going further up the coast than Portland.

Old 08-18-2011, 12:31 PM

28 posts, read 50,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
You would probably be able to see more if you did part of your trip on the interstate as route 1 is VERY long and takes you to every bit of the coast, and our coast line is very very long. There are some lovely B & Bs in Camden and Rockland. For beauty, Camden cannot be beat. I'm sure there will still be boat excursions out of Camden Harbor in the fall. Also if you get to Boothbay be sure to take in the Coastal Botanical Gardens there. We went for the first time in July of 2010 and it was fantastic. It is open year round with much beauty and many walks and gardens. If you stay overnight in Boothbay Harbor I can recommend Captain Fish's as a place to stay with a harbor view and very short walk to the village.. Thistles is a great place to have dinner. I hope your trip will include going further up the coast than Portland.
I vacationed in Rockport/Camden last Fall. I was there Oct. 27th, and all the windjammers and other cruises had shut down for the season. Just FYI.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:32 PM

17,158 posts, read 22,167,733 times
id give two thumbs up for the boothbay harbor region- be sure to visit south bristol/christmas cove and pemaquid- you can drive right to a lighthouse and have a picnic on the rocks(with the ocean right in front of you)

Old 08-18-2011, 04:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,849 times
WOW! Some nice feedback and so quickly - thank you! OK, it sounds like we need 10-14 days to do this the right way, which could happen, just need to plan it carefully. I wonder if I should be planning this type of trip now for next fall. Still welcome any and all comments or recommendations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or