U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 08:23 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,537,409 times

Advertisements

Like corporations are not run by corrupt people who care nothing for their employees -- much of the time anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 03:08 PM

15 posts, read 32,877 times
I realize that certainty things may be more expensive here in Seattle than they are there. Our housing may be more depending on where you live of course and our gas is certainly more(but I walk to work, my car is only for days off).
I was there a about five years ago and things are not much cheaper than they are here. The prices of cars, clothing etc is almost the same as it is hereÖ I donít know anyone can make a $500 car payment on $10 a hour.

I didnít realize that there were so many bitter people there. Iím glad that I didnít mention what out produce girls make or let alone what the meat cutters make. You guys would turn green.

Thank you too everyone that didnít flame me and just answered my questions.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:42 PM

3,637 posts, read 5,261,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
good points,
most retail businesses largest expense is payroll- however health benefits have gone thru the roof and energy costs have tripled in the past 15 yrs(grocery store with freezers and refrigerated cases draws large amount of energy) along with lights, compressors, etc
and of course taxes, permits, advertising, always increase

over 200 convenience stores have closed in the past 5 yrs in maine, due to more expenses, the cost of gas (replacement) and competition- if an irving low balls the price of gas (they also deliver it) it crunches the independent store nearby that may be paying more per gallon than irving is selling it for
stores (owners) that dont adapt to survive, will go out of business

A&P as you stated didnt reinvest and renovate with the times, they seem to have one footprint for a store and stuck to it- you can still see the old a&p buildings around maine- square brick buildings with a funky cupola on top
A cottle's shopnsave opened a store behind the a&p in gardiner and put the a&p out of business

hannaford changed with the times- changed so much, they are now owned by a belgium company called delhaize, same company that owns food lion
Oh true dat!

Old 08-26-2011, 05:59 PM

17,158 posts, read 22,161,261 times
[quote=IRH84F;20622954]I realize that certainty things may be more expensive here in Seattle than they are there. Our housing may be more depending on where you live of course and our gas is certainly more(but I walk to work, my car is only for days off).
I was there a about five years ago and things are not much cheaper than they are here. The prices of cars, clothing etc is almost the same as it is hereÖ I donít know anyone can make a $500 car payment on $10 a hour.

I didnít realize that there were so many bitter people there. Iím glad that I didnít mention what out produce girls make or let alone what the meat cutters make. You guys would turn green.

ive never had a 500 car payment

if a cashier is making 19.00 an hr the meatcutters must be close to 30.00 an hr

meatcutters are usually the highest paid hourly employees in the store-
meat managers are usually salary, and often make less per hr than meatcutters because they work so many hours

What they make in maine is all over the board- shaws use to pay very well- a dollar more per hour than hannaford, but im not sure if thats true anymore
having been a meat manager at hannaford for many years, i use to know the payscales, but it's a little sensitive info to put public

what they make in independent stores is all over the board too
in corporate stores the move has been more to prepackaged meats to save on meatcutting at store level-

the walmart model (to avoid unions) is to have all meat prepack and case ready, cut many states away, vacuum sealed, and often injected with a sodium solution for a longer shelf life (and gas flushed)

maine is a fairly large state with low population density- the stores dont do the high volumes that other states/regions do- everything is relative

Old 08-26-2011, 06:24 PM

14 posts, read 16,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRH84F View Post
I realize that certainty things may be more expensive here in Seattle than they are there. Our housing may be more depending on where you live of course and our gas is certainly more(but I walk to work, my car is only for days off).

Things in Seattle cost MUCH more than they do in Maine. It can be difficult for a family in Seattle making much less than $100,000/year. Whereas, a family in Maine can do very well on that amount. Seattle and Maine are completely different worlds. $250,000 in Seattle will buy you a single family shoebox in an ok neighborhood. That same amount will buy you a very nice sized, beautiful, nearly new, or character home in a great Maine neighborhood/town.

Many people in Maine don't have $500/mo car payments because their expectations are different, and their views on what is 'necessary' are different. I would say that perhaps Mainers more down to earth (though I don't mean anything negative toward Seattle). Also, I'm not meaning to bash unions. I am simply saying that in looking at places to relocate to, understand that your salary is only one part of the equation. What works in one place may not work in another, etc. And just because you're not hearing what you want to hear doesn't mean that the responses you've gotten are all bitter, IMO.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:47 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,537,409 times
"the walmart model (to avoid unions) is to have all meat prepack and case ready, cut many states away, vacuum sealed, and often injected with a sodium solution for a longer shelf life (and gas flushed)"

Which is why I cannot bring myself to buy meat at wallyworld.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:51 PM

1,808 posts, read 2,891,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpav View Post
Things in Seattle cost MUCH more than they do in Maine. It can be difficult for a family in Seattle making much less than $100,000/year. Whereas, a family in Maine can do very well on that amount. Seattle and Maine are completely different worlds. $250,000 in Seattle will buy you a single family shoebox in an ok neighborhood. That same amount will buy you a very nice sized, beautiful, nearly new, or character home in a great Maine neighborhood/town.

Many people in Maine don't have $500/mo car payments because their expectations are different, and their views on what is 'necessary' are different. I would say that perhaps Mainers more down to earth (though I don't mean anything negative toward Seattle). Also, I'm not meaning to bash unions. I am simply saying that in looking at places to relocate to, understand that your salary is only one part of the equation. What works in one place may not work in another, etc. And just because you're not hearing what you want to hear doesn't mean that the responses you've gotten are all bitter, IMO.
Goodly said kpav. The word bitter makes me laugh. I hear my Mainer relatives say that word like they would say to people that are being annoying or uncouth. Only they'd say "don't be bitta".

There are many more people in the state of Seattle area than there are in the whole city of Maine. It's really not fair to compare.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:53 AM

17,158 posts, read 22,161,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRH84F View Post

We're not bitta, we may be frugal, resourceful, and resilient, and talk funny, but not bitta.

actually, it's good to see a post like this- but we are being honest with the opinions- we'd love to see payscales as high as mentioned, and tell you to come to maine-you can make the same, but it's simply not the case

maine is a unique state with pockets of different industries-fisherman, farmers, loggers, retail, but what is a growing faction in mainers, is wearing multiple hats- 2-3 jobs for income, and some jobs that may not pay too well, but its added income..... so when we may see 19.00 an hr, for a cashier, yes, we may scoff, not in maine (although it would be great to see-but not reality- many of us may have a secondary job, thats hard labor, that doesnt make nearly that amount)

My son once saw one of his teachers, mowing lawns in the summer for added income- he asked , now why would he do that- if he went to college so he wouldnt HAVE to do jobs like that?
My answer was very direct- do not ever ever make judements on someone elses work - admire ANYONE doing multiple jobs, and in particular, hard labor jobs- here is a teacher(could be anyone with a primary job) that wants/needs to earn more money, and he's doing it-be proud of that teacher
If you saw him at mcdonalds working, again, just admire the work ethic-he set goals and is working towards them-very admirable!

I also see many folks that have retired- that dont NEED to work, yet work to keep busy, (its amazing the difference in attitude, when you dont HAVE to work)

Old 08-27-2011, 04:08 AM

5,969 posts, read 11,130,579 times
I have to spread it around so I'll say it here - great attitude MBM.

Old 08-27-2011, 05:37 AM
RHB

1,096 posts, read 1,830,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoore007 View Post
there are many more people in the state of seattle area than there are in the whole city of maine. It's really not fair to compare.
:d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine