U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 05:43 AM

14 posts, read 10,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
My answer was very direct- do not ever ever make judements on someone elses work - admire ANYONE doing multiple jobs, and in particular, hard labor jobs- here is a teacher(could be anyone with a primary job) that wants/needs to earn more money, and he's doing it-be proud of that teacher
If you saw him at mcdonalds working, again, just admire the work ethic-he set goals and is working towards them-very admirable!

I also see many folks that have retired- that dont NEED to work, yet work to keep busy, (its amazing the difference in attitude, when you dont HAVE to work)
It is this kind of attitude/work ethic that is one of the great intangible reasons I want to move to Maine. Sadly, this is rare in many parts of the country (at least in the parts I have experienced).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 05:56 AM

187 posts, read 225,933 times
UPS is teamsters... I think they are just about one of the last true unions left, and they surely aren't what they were. Times have changed.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:00 AM

431 posts, read 291,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

My son once saw one of his teachers, mowing lawns in the summer for added income- he asked , now why would he do that- if he went to college so he wouldnt HAVE to do jobs like that?
My answer was very direct- do not ever ever make judements on someone elses work - admire ANYONE doing multiple jobs, and in particular, hard labor jobs- here is a teacher(could be anyone with a primary job) that wants/needs to earn more money, and he's doing it-be proud of that teacher
If you saw him at mcdonalds working, again, just admire the work ethic-he set goals and is working towards them-very admirable!

I also see many folks that have retired- that dont NEED to work, yet work to keep busy, (its amazing the difference in attitude, when you dont HAVE to work)
Excellent points. Thanks for that example.
My dad also taught us that everyone should learn a trade of some type, even if you eventually went to "college" to learn a profession. That way, he said, you've always got some type of skill that you can fall back on if the profession doesn't work out, or to fill in during times such as these.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:18 AM

1,989 posts, read 1,388,951 times
550 car payment? I think that is great-pay it off in 4 years -smart.

Old 08-27-2011, 07:14 PM

1,841 posts, read 3,641,623 times
I'm thinking that if I am a cashier (in ANY state)... I'm probably not right in the head if I think I need a car that REQUIRES a $500/mo payment! CASHIER!

Old 08-28-2011, 04:46 AM
RHB

1,066 posts, read 1,184,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
I'm thinking that if I am a cashier (in ANY state)... I'm probably not right in the head if I think I need a car that REQUIRES a $500/mo payment! CASHIER!
This begs to ask the questions:

What profession do you deem worthy of having a $500 a month car payment?

Do you know the cost of special equipment that the car might have that would up the price - maybe a ramp, special doors etc?

Who do you feel a cashier isn't worthy of making a living wage? or shouldn't have a good car?

It's not just you, it's been in other posts. If the wages in Seattle is $19, that that's the wages in Seattle. And if we compare what cashiers get here, to there, and car payments here to there, we might just see that they are about the same.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:36 AM

3,510 posts, read 3,326,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I have to spread it around so I'll say it here - great attitude MBM.
I have to agree. Why is it when people tell the un-sugarcoated truth, they're automatically "bitta?"

I guess we've all answered the OPs original question, but I'll say 'good luck' and wish him or her well anyway.

Great post MBM.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:39 AM

10,570 posts, read 10,356,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
This begs to ask the questions:

What profession do you deem worthy of having a $500 a month car payment?

Do you know the cost of special equipment that the car might have that would up the price - maybe a ramp, special doors etc?

Who do you feel a cashier isn't worthy of making a living wage? or shouldn't have a good car?

It's not just you, it's been in other posts. If the wages in Seattle is $19, that that's the wages in Seattle. And if we compare what cashiers get here, to there, and car payments here to there, we might just see that they are about the same.
fair questions,

ideally, im sure we'd all like to have a very nice car- thats around a 500 payment- and ive seen many folks have a very nice car/truck that don't have a very high paying job- this is america- we can do as we wish (in theory) - i've seen many "kids" 18-25 still living at home, they would have a brand new car/truck while not making alot-it's their choice where they spend
their monies they earn-I try not to judge- but couldnt help but think, they are getting a free ride from their parents and how could they ever live on their own, if all their money is going for a car payment

theirs cause and effect in business- if a grocery store is in such a populated area its doing over 2-3 million dollars a week, then yes, wages can be better than if a store is doing 500k a week
Their isnt a store in maine that does 2 million a week- some hannafords in the summer, may do half that amount

When my son was looking for a vehicle, it was a great time to teach him about frugality, doing the research, comparing prices, looking at what makes are good on gas, which makes/models will last a long time, but also, what affect the interest rates have and how much money costs to borrow.
also, how much it costs for repairs.
For a kid that age, of course he wanted something very impressive- but necessity (frugality) won out-other expenses come in the picture

anyways we ended up buying a car out-right to save on interest- I wouldnt help him, if he went for ego, and not frugality
and this is where many of us are

Old 08-28-2011, 08:03 AM

5,646 posts, read 7,477,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
I have to agree. Why is it when people tell the un-sugarcoated truth, they're automatically "bitta?"

I guess we've all answered the OPs original question, but I'll say 'good luck' and wish him or her well anyway.

Great post MBM.
I meant his attitude about jobs. I don't care if someone who means nothing to me thinks I'm bitter.

Quote:

Old 08-28-2011, 08:45 AM

12,142 posts, read 21,339,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
550 car payment? I think that is great-pay it off in 4 years -smart.
Even smarter, don't finance everything and buy what you need, or finance a small amount to get what you need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine