Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 11:51 AM

2,094 posts, read 3,653,060 times

Advertisements

I don't finance anything except my vacation for the 2 months afterward.
We don't know that she finances anything other than her car.I would guess most Americans(not all) finance their cars and we really don't have enough info to make any judgements about it. She could have an average car with 48 payments or a really nice car with 72 payments.Either way I am not going to judge her and her choice of what she can afford or what she thinks is appropriate for her.Who cares?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 07:31 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I meant his attitude about jobs. I don't care if someone who means nothing to me thinks I'm bitter.
Meh, me either. It was more of a rhetorical question.

I always love the "car payment" posts. As if one can judge how much someone makes by the car they drive.

I've never gotten this in a million years because I grew up in a self-employed house where it was "one humongous job pays everything off."

Likewise, I know of a few people who have incurred so much "up-to-your-eyeballs debt buying 'stuff,' that they are literally one paycheck away from insolvency - but, they drive wicked nice cars.

Old 08-28-2011, 09:52 PM

33 posts, read 66,042 times
I worked as a meatcutter for 40yrs. The early yrs were for the First National,the other stores that where not union payed a union wage to keep there employees.I worked in all the stores in central maine and never saw the union keep someone's job who didn't deserve it. I was what was called a traveling cutter and trust me I saw a lot of strange things.The union wasn't perfect but trust me it was needed.I was paid a good wage at the time,but we earned it and the stores made a good profit and prices where lower dollar for dollar than they are now. Here in Belfast we had 4 stores and competitive prices. There was a effort to get rid of unions in stores and it worked . But i worked at some of those stores in the south, one Foodlion that i worked at threw 70% of there product in the bone barrows(trash) that store had zero profit other stores had a 50-70% mark-up with a low profit. Guess what that does to prices. i managed a small meat dept. next to a large Wal-mart marked my product up 30% and ended up with a 26% gross didn't throw anything away and my prices where lower than walmart. Wal-mart doesn't have a meat saw or knife. So when you do away with experienced help and hire cheap help that's what happens high prices.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:05 PM

2,025 posts, read 3,345,213 times
USUALLY those who dont agree with Unions, have never worked in one. I say USUALLY. We all have a chance to pick what job or career we want to work in life, and for whatever reasons or needs.

It's true - there are lazy workers everywhere. And there are bad, evil, abusive bosses everywhere - who dont go by any kinds of rules or humane treatment unless they are forced to - one of the reasons i agree with Unions - on the most part. Yes, they arent what they used to be.

I worked for the USPS for 19 years (APWU - union), and we worked our butts off. ALL shifts you could imagine, every piece of mail is counted, supervisors standing behind us watching, 15 minute breaks and a half hour lunch.. yes we made good money (and to the OP, that's a job you could get and make the same money wherever you move - altho they are in trouble now, like just about every other 'business'). Imagine how it would be WITHOUT a Union!

I think Unions are needed to protect workers rights, bargain for their benefits and pay, and to keep an eye on safety issues - but i dont agree with lazy workers being protected - which yes, sometimes happens.

Good luck with wherever you move, i love New England and especially Maine.

Last edited by Jellybean50; 08-29-2011 at 01:21 PM..

Old 08-29-2011, 02:05 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,199,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellybean50 View Post

I think Unions are needed to protect workers rights, bargain for their benefits and pay, and to keep an eye on safety issues - but i dont agree with lazy workers being protected - which yes, sometimes happens.
I think it is a big mistake to talk about government unions and private enterprise unions and pretend they are related to each other. The reason why private unions are dying is because they are killing the industries they are associated with. The reason why public unions are flourishing is because they just feed off the $14,000,000,000,000 national debt. Because they negotiate with managers with no "bottom line," they will continue to do well until they kill the country's economy. I do agree with the poster that government unions are needed because government managers need something to keep them honest. But they should have nothing to do with pay/benefits.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:12 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,150,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
I think it is a big mistake to talk about government unions and private enterprise unions and pretend they are related to each other. The reason why private unions are dying is because they are killing the industries they are associated with. The reason why public unions are flourishing is because they just feed off the $14,000,000,000,000 national debt. Because they negotiate with managers with no "bottom line," they will continue to do well until they kill the country's economy. I do agree with the poster that government unions are needed because government managers need something to keep them honest. But they should have nothing to do with pay/benefits.
Federal Unions don't deal with wages, or benefits...those are set by congress.
State Unions do.

Old 08-29-2011, 03:49 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,199,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHB View Post
Federal Unions don't deal with wages, or benefits...those are set by congress.
State Unions do.
Most don't, however the unions that represent the postal unions were allowed to negotiate wages and benefits under Carter, and were granted significant concessions. That's why the Post Office is going bankrupt.

The state, local and teachers unions all negotiate wages and benefits, which is why your state and local taxes are through the roof.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:25 PM

My wife is a retired teacher. She could of made more money baby setting. And not had to spent 4yrs at college.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:43 PM

My wife is a retired teacher. She could of made more money baby setting. And not had to spent 4yrs at college. A few years ago a Black & Decker plant closed in Ohio that was paying 7-11dollars a hr-- said they were going to china.That drill still costs the same!! Instead of dwelling on unions go haul that jerk off his multi million dollar yacht and have him work for 7.50 an hr. Do the math what would a husband, wife, three kids have to make to have a decent life, buy a house,new car educate there kids. both making 7.50 or more couldn't do it. teacher, firemen, and these other people aren't making to much money.Think!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine