U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 04:05 PM

12 posts, read 20,565 times

Advertisements

First time visitor to Maine, need some local advice. We're flying into Portland tomorrow and driving up to Bangor for a few nights. Looking at google maps, should we take 295 or 95? Also, is US202 between Augusta and Bangor a scenic drive with things to see, good places to eat? We're not in a big rush tomorrow and are trying to see as much as possible of your beautiful state before we head over to MDI and the coast.

(And before the hurricane hits.)

Thanks from Ohio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 04:20 PM

2,270 posts, read 5,721,620 times
We take 295 to 95 near Augusta (or in Augusta?). Sorry, I don't know about route 202.

You could go route 1 all the way past Searsport, then go through Bucksport to get to Bangor -- you could look at a map (I am horrible with directions!) That would be a pretty drive much of the way.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:43 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,007,845 times
Pick up 295 in Portland. It's quicker and a bit cheaper. Puts you back on I-95 around Gardner. Rt 202/9 is a pretty ride I think. Takes you through some farm country and near some lakes. Pretty ride to Bangor, IMHO. Enjoy the ride and hope you have a safe trip

Old 08-24-2011, 04:55 PM

22,563 posts, read 16,717,234 times
Yep, I just did this last week. Take 95 to the 295, saves you time, gas and the toll is one dollar.

If I remember right, when I took 95 all the way up when moving to Maine, I had to pay two tolls on 95...one around Portland and one around Augusta and I think they were a little more than a dollar. I don't remember completely, I was exhausted by that time.

Of course, if you have all the time in the world, I'd opt for a more picturesque drive. Not that 295 isn't nice...just saying, enjoy every bit of it by taking the road less traveled.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:00 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,937,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
We take 295 to 95 near Augusta (or in Augusta?). Sorry, I don't know about route 202.

You could go route 1 all the way past Searsport, then go through Bucksport to get to Bangor -- you could look at a map (I am horrible with directions!) That would be a pretty drive much of the way.
Bucksport is very picturesque so if you don't see it on the way TO Bangor, you should definitely see it before you leave Maine. There are many other picturesque spots along Rt. 1.

It depends on how long of a drive you want. You can take I-295 out of Portland and as you drive north, you will see exits for Route 1; if you stay on I-295 you will hook up with I-95 just south of Augusta...then in Augusta Rt. 3 to Belfast and Rt. 1 to Bucksport, then Rt. 15 to Brewer/Bangor..... or you could take I-95 north from Portland, get off on the exit for Auburn (Rt. 4) and drive north through Turner to Rt. 2 East. Rt. 2 is an inland scenic route. You can then follow Rt. 2 all the way to Bangor or get back on I-95N in Newport. Personally, I didn't think Rt. 202 was anything special between Lewiston and Augusta, but I don't know about Augusta to Bangor. Here is a way to take a virtual ride: Download Google Earth

Google Earth: Google Earth Download

type in Route 202 Augusta Maine and grab and drag the little orange person down on street view in the center of the square on Rt. 202 in Augusta, and use double click for a virtual drive along Rt. 202.

Last edited by mainegrl2011; 08-24-2011 at 05:27 PM..

Old 08-24-2011, 05:59 PM

12 posts, read 20,565 times
Wow, thanks for all the detailed responses!! We get into PWM about 2pm, get the rental car, then head north. Trying to pack and plan at the same time right now... Any recommendations for a place to eat along either 95N or US-202? We're not fancy people, any diner type casual place would be great. Doesn't have to be lobster since we'll getting plenty along the coast over the weekend... open to suggestions.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:17 PM

22,563 posts, read 16,717,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myelsa View Post
Wow, thanks for all the detailed responses!! We get into PWM about 2pm, get the rental car, then head north. Trying to pack and plan at the same time right now... Any recommendations for a place to eat along either 95N or US-202? We're not fancy people, any diner type casual place would be great. Doesn't have to be lobster since we'll getting plenty along the coast over the weekend... open to suggestions.
I think you might have a better chance of finding neat little diners along the way on the route you were given just above your post I'm quoting.

Along 95 and 295 all I saw were signs for your typical McDs and such. Not to say that diners aren't there, just they aren't easy to see from the freeway. Or, I guess it's not a freeway since there are tolls...whatever they are called here.

Old 08-25-2011, 04:18 AM

3,021 posts, read 5,007,845 times
Just around Freeport is a motel/diner. Freeport Cafe (I think exit 17) just past the Muddy Rudder on Rt 1. Small, but good food. Easy on and off. If you keep going north on Rt 1 there is the big indian. Nice picture op.

http://www.thom.org/gallery/statues/MNFPindian/

Could keep right on 1 and go to Freeeport and Beans or the Desert of Maine. Trying to think of more places to eat.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:26 AM

2,270 posts, read 5,721,620 times
If you go rt 1 there is a place called Red's Eats in Wiscassett. I've never eaten there but it's usually crowded in summer. Be prepared to wait.

Red's Eats - Wiscasset, ME

Old 08-25-2011, 05:34 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,050,038 times
US RT 1 from the JetPort will give you the most scenic rout and the most places to stop and see things and eat!!

You will travel through Freeport past Delorme and the worlds LARGEST globe and then through Freeport Maine where the legendary LLBean is located.

Along the way to Camden Maine (I love Camden) you will travel through Brunswick, Bath, Wiscasset (Reds eats on the left before going over the bridge in Wiscasset has the worlds best lobstah rolls!!

You will end up getting off of rt 1 and onto 1a in stockton springs and that should take you directly to Bangor…

If you didn’t get this in time you can always do this drive in reverse..

Microsoft streets and trips has this at 139.3 miles and 3 hours and 13 minutes

Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or