U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 11:45 AM

2,776 posts, read 6,980,612 times

Advertisements

Lots of small branches and leaves down...lost our cable connection for a couple days. the only lasting glitch is I can't get my internet router to reconnect now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 12:27 PM

2,712 posts, read 4,923,673 times
We lost power here in west Corinth around 7 pm on Sunday. It was out until about 5:30 this morning.

We found the problem, most likely, yesterday. A small tree was laying on the power lines just a few houses down the road toward Corinth... just around the bend where we couldn't see it until we took a trip to Corinth searching for kero lamp wicks. Didn't find any... seems "everyone" has mantles for the Coleman type lanterns and even for propane lights. Had one store try to sell me kerosene HEATER wicks! LOL

For years I have had a supply of extra wicks, as I have a lot of kero lamps, and I guess, over the years, I have used them up. Ah, well.. they were all operational except the new one I got at a yard sale recently, and extra wicks and some more chimneys (I always keep a couple of them on hand, too) will be found.

The garden was not damaged at all (in fact the weeds pull very nicely now!) and the chicken coops stayed put. We had about 3" of rain, it seems, though the final reading that K took seemed very small compared to what I heard on the roof. I need to check to make sure the gauge doesn't have a crack.

Other than not being able to take a bath, I actually enjoy prolonged power outages. The neighbors with generators are far enough away that the machines roar doesn't offend too badly and I really enjoy the slower pace and quiet light that such events bring. Actually makes me nostalgic for the numerous years I spent living off-grid.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:55 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,949,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FNolan View Post
Power never went out here in the crown. Although the wind blew and the s... err you know what I mean. Haven't been out yet to see if there was any damage. Still a stiff breeze with some gusts.
The crown?

Old 08-30-2011, 01:41 PM

9,533 posts, read 14,348,860 times
Aroostook County, "The Crown of Maine".

-break-

WalMart carries kerosene lantern wicks. Hint: If your wick won't burn properly, take the wick out and turn it upside down. It will burn brightly. The problem is likely a waxy buildup from Kerosene evaporation.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:49 PM

5,973 posts, read 11,156,888 times
Think back to the things you wished you'd had during the storm. Put down the computer and go buy them. Winter's coming.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:23 PM

20,786 posts, read 15,536,796 times
I only wished I had electricity while it was off. Other than that, I was set.

Old 08-30-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post

WalMart carries kerosene lantern wicks. Hint: If your wick won't burn properly, take the wick out and turn it upside down. It will burn brightly. The problem is likely a waxy buildup from Kerosene evaporation.
I know I had seem them there, but there were none to be found on my last trip. Truth be told, it was a quick "surgical strike" and they have change departments around since I last bought them in a WalMart, but I didn't take the time to wander. Didn't find lamp oil either, which I prefer to burn over the dyed kero, but I know they should have that, also. I looked where they keep the candles, didn't see, and went on to the rest of my mission. I only have one lamp that needs a new wick and had kero enough to fill everyone.

I use them every morning, now, as I am getting ready for work at 4-5 AM, so the supplies will need to be found.

I have not had a problem with the wicks that was not fixed by trimming them a bit. I check them visually each week when I wash the chimneys. A Saturday ritual in my house...

Old 08-30-2011, 10:41 PM

346 posts, read 660,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownShoes View Post
It's like the sky is falling down here in the New York City area.
Parts of NYC evacuated, Hoboken NJ, Jersey City etc.

Fights at local stores over batteries and water.

NYC Mayor Bloomberg advised all people to have a weeks supply of food and water.

Nothing like creating a panic, right?

All mass transit shuts down tomorrow, Garden State Parkway closed from exit 98 south.

Atlantic City shut down, and it goes on and on.

Cell phone coverage stopped for a few hours when we had the earth quake a few days ago. My neighbors are actually in a panic.
Sorry to all for posting 'non Maine info' in this thread.

Anyway, it gave me and a few folks down this way (Jersey) a huge eye opening as to what would happen if the poo hit the wind turbine.

Panic, fights, gas shortage etc.
Never really took the 'survival' thing very seroius, that has now changed.

CS

Old 08-30-2011, 11:43 PM

20,786 posts, read 15,536,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClownShoes View Post
Sorry to all for posting 'non Maine info' in this thread.

Anyway, it gave me and a few folks down this way (Jersey) a huge eye opening as to what would happen if the poo hit the wind turbine.

Panic, fights, gas shortage etc.
Never really took the 'survival' thing very seroius, that has now changed.

CS
Always be prepared. You have winter that can get bad, prepare. You have hurricane season that may not happen for decades, but if you see one coming, prepare. You have flooding when there's too much rain, prepare. You can have economic collapse, prepare.

Start with the basics: flashlight and batteries, (or, better yet, one that recharges and can use batteries, too), wind up radio, (not only for information, but if you go a week or more without power, it's entertainment as well), Sterno if you have an electric stove, or bbq grill, candles, matches, water, water, water, canned food and other food that can be stored at room temperature. Stock up on those. You can eat them, just replace them when you do. For winter time, extra wood or pellets, if you have the means to use them...or, tons of blankets. First aid kit. Charge things every day. Always have a little cash on hand and don't let your car go under 1/2 tank...just in case.

If you have a little extra cash, get a generator. People buy them before a storm, don't use them, return them and then go back out to buy them again before another storm. Just get one and keep it.

Those are basics that will get you through most situations. There's other things to do but those will get you started.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:51 AM

I would agree with everything Three Wolves said, except for the generator part. Now, I know everyone's lifestyles are different, but a generator is a noisy, fuel-eating beast that in my opinion can be pretty easily done without with a bit of planning.

We have a new fridge and a fairly new freezer. We did not open the freezer compartment of the fridge nor the freezer during the last outage of a day and a half and saw NO apparent thawing of the food. I had an ice cube tray sitting on its side in the fridge freezer and had it thawed even a bit, the water would have run. I used those cubed last night and they showed no thawing.

It is easy to have alternative source of heat/cooking/light that needs no electric.

And catching up on a bit of sleep can never be a bad thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine