U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 03:00 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,942,634 times

Advertisements

here i am...rock you like a hurricane

Don't you mean hurri-CAN?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2011, 03:05 PM

2,096 posts, read 2,942,634 times
Yes.tell them to clear the porch/yard of any crap that will blow around-better safe.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:50 PM

38,439 posts, read 18,196,909 times
Well Three Wolves.....It is never a good idea to tell others to get their stuff off their porch....just like that...people can get their backs up. I think it might be better to say that you are worried about stuff blowing off their porch into your windows.....and ask if they could use any help in getting it more secure.

That said.....I dont know what is a likely projectile.....I havent thought to move my gas grill just planed to lock the wheels and put it in a semi sheltered location. ....or the heavy plate-glass table top on the patio table....maybe I dont understand well enough myself. I could at least lay it flat on the deck. I am moving the chairs and the chaisse-lounge; plant pots and miscellaneous stuff out in the yard.....into the garage.

Last edited by elston; 08-26-2011 at 04:11 PM..

Old 08-26-2011, 04:06 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,435,168 times
Heard a couple hours ago that they cancelled the 3rd day (Sunday) of the American Folk Folk Festival. They plan to get all the acts into Friday night and Saturday.. Although now we are hearing that it won't be bad here until late Sunday night. I can understand them wanting to take all the tents down before that. Heading down there now to see the opening parade and check out the food court.

Old 08-26-2011, 04:17 PM

38,439 posts, read 18,196,909 times
I dont think it is excessive to warn people of the potential dangers of this storm.... "Fore-warned is fore-armed" I am not going to comment on NY City response in the Maine forum.....but better safe than sorry applies to all of us. I appreciate Maine specific recommendations and comments.

Last edited by elston; 08-26-2011 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: Keeping it Maine specific

Old 08-26-2011, 05:18 PM

15,584 posts, read 9,605,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
not all but many of the lobster boats moored in a harbor are somewhat protected from the open sea

if they are saying go to deeper water with the traps- the ideal is of course to haul them out- but if you cant, get them offshore where they wont be banged against ledge and rocks

the traps today are made of wire, not wood, much more durable

thanks for clarifying that, mainebrokerman.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:33 PM

3,637 posts, read 5,266,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
Earthquakes, hurricanes, a republican governor in maine-the mayan calendar for 2012 is drawing near!!
ROFL.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:34 PM

1,808 posts, read 2,894,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I've picked veggies to send to DD1 with DH. He's going to Boston to spend the weekend with her. I bought box seats (I think that's what they're called) for tomorrow's Red Sox game for him for Father's Day. The game is going to start at noon instead of 1 pm. I'll pick two more bushels of beans, another bushel of tomatoes that are ripe and be ready to freeze and can them Sunday. DD2 moves to campus tomorrow.

We have a propane stove so cooking and coffee aren't an issue. The battery lantern is charged and flashlights are always ready. Headlamps are in the Jeep. The kayaks are put away and the boats are covered. Without power we don't have water and I'm rather fond of flushing so I'll fill the tub with water. The poultry in tractors will go into the greenhouse tomorrow night. I have a lot of writing to do and DH bought a book titled My Life In The Maine Woods, A Game Warden's Wife in the Allagash Country to keep me entertained.

The egg-eating, chicken-killing, very big skunk was relocated from its spring-til-this-morning home in the barn to skunk heaven this morning.

I'm looking forward to a peaceful day Sunday.
The one that gets my attention is that you fill the tub for flushing. Good one! That's always number two on my list. Anything about the Red Sox are always number 1. MW, you are a living book. You do more in one day than me a week. Seriously, maybe 2 weeks.

I do have a question though? Should I be worried about my immediate family way in the center of the state? I know that when we had a real bad snowstorm last winter, it did lots of damage to our piazza with 18 windows and we still haven't got it fixed yet. I think the work is scheduled for September.

I am worried for my friends, familiy and acqauintances that live on the coast. I hope they all get buttoned up good. I know they are Mainer's so I really don't worry too much. I've seen the maps and satellite images. If that doesn't make you feel small, nothing will.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:45 PM

3,637 posts, read 5,266,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I dont think it is excessive to warn people of the potential dangers of this storm.... "Fore-warned is fore-armed" I am not going to comment on NY City response in the Maine forum.....but better safe than sorry applies to all of us. I appreciate Maine specific recommendations and comments.

True, but he does have a point about inciting panic. I think it's unnecessary.

Prudent, common sense measure suggestions make for better information IMHO. In my line of work I see panicky people often. I find myself doing this ---> in my head a lot more lately because it seems that more and more people are having a hard time coping with a little diversity lately. Maybe it's just me.

As for me, I'll make sure I've got flashlights, draw water, have the candles near, and make sure I've got some good books, playing cards, the acoustic guitar, and a game or two. I'll probably roll up a towel under the front door if the wind blows into it and rain seeps under.

In other words, 'yawn.'

We did go to camp and pull the boat off the mooring today as a precaution. It's better to take the time to do that than to come back to it smashed up against the rocks because the chain on the mooring broke.
Again, common sense measures.

It'll be pretty much business as usual when we have a snowstorm except the bonus is that I won't have to stoke the woodstove.

The benefit of putting up with deep freeze is that you don't have to worry about your house blowing down every couple of years.

Most hurricanes seriously peter out by the time they get here in comparison.

Old 08-26-2011, 05:58 PM

20,677 posts, read 15,457,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Most hurricanes seriously peter out by the time they get here in comparison.
Which is exactly what I'm expecting but someone said something about a nor'easter and I do not know how those act...hence, the question.

My neighbors can't even clean up their dog doo so I seriously doubt they're going to move their stuff off the porch...that is elevated, and slightly above the height of my kitchen window. I can see the lawn chair flipping off the side but the bbq...maybe if I was still in Miami...but not here.

I just really want to know how bad is a nor'easter since it was brought up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine