U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 05:44 PM

76 posts, read 174,577 times

Advertisements

As of Wednesday, August 24th, Hurricane Irene is poised to make a potential landfall somewhere in southern New England as a Category 2, with a path similar to Carol in 1954, and the Hurricane of 1938, albeit slightly east (eventually passing over western-central Maine still as a Cat 1). This is not going to be as "mild" as Bob and Gloria, per the latest conversations. I realize that the media outlets seem to be overhyping the storm, but so many of the forecast models have all been in consensus, it's hard to ignore and looking very likely that we'll have very high impacts here in Maine starting on Saturday afternoon and deteriorating very quickly after that.

I'm not a meteorologist, but I do follow weather as a bit of a hobby. Many of the amateur and pro meteorologists I do follow on various discussion forums are becoming quickly concerned as more models come in and the window of time narrows.

I'd suggest preparing for at least a one to two week power outage event with significant damage to infrastructure in places, especially close to the storm's center. I'm thinking of this as event similar to the ice storm of '98, except that it will be warm.

I don't want to be alarmist, but want folks to be safe out there! Let's hope that the track pushes far east of here, but as of now, things aren't pushing it out to sea (unlike prior years). Monitor local media outlets, and NOAA. If you don't have a battery or crank powered radio that picks up NOAA, go get one.

Last edited by zoe456; 08-24-2011 at 05:46 PM.. Reason: Edit - Carol was in 1954, not 1956.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 05:52 PM

492 posts, read 1,204,855 times
Here's how we track it here in Florida:
WunderMap Interactive Radar & Weather Stations : Weather Underground

Old 08-24-2011, 05:55 PM

38,425 posts, read 18,180,970 times
in Maine will this be a coastal event or will it track in-land? I live in Gorham about 20 or 30 miles inland.....will that spare me the impact?

Old 08-24-2011, 05:58 PM

3,093 posts, read 5,422,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
in Maine will this be a coastal event or will it track in-land? I live in Gorham about 20 or 30 miles inland.....will that spare me the impact?
You'll get winds and rain. Possibly some power outage.

Old 08-24-2011, 05:58 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,020,268 times
Quote:
I'm thinking it's too early to tell, but I'm not a weather person.
Just taking it one day at a time.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:07 PM

76 posts, read 174,577 times
Quote:
Agreed with the potential of heavy rains and wind. The latest forecast track has the center of Irene going through southern Maine along a line near Acton-Shapleigh-Limerick-Baldwin-Naples-South Paris onward. typically, the eastern side gets less rain, but stronger winds and the possible spinup of weak tornadoes. West of the track is typically the side that receives the heaviest of the rainfall.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:23 PM

783 posts, read 1,301,527 times
zoe, thank you for the post re: Irene. Cautious regard of these first storms of the season is good. It's the time of year when I am still clinging to summer mode. My hatches aren't exactly battened down...close, but not quite.

I am happy to say that one of the things I don't miss from not having a TV is media storm hype. I confess, I am a rabid NOAA devotee.

According to a quick glance at NOAA'S graphical forecast for the Northeast shows - as of now - peak winds playing through Maine coastal areas Sunday night.

Irene has her very own NOAA page here. I'm a big fan of the area forecast discussion. On the NOAA site, all you do is go to this page, and plug in your zip code in the upper right hand corner of the page.

Batten down your pink flamingos & Adirondack chairs...

Old 08-24-2011, 06:36 PM

17,158 posts, read 22,167,733 times
Earthquakes, hurricanes, a republican governor in maine-the mayan calendar for 2012 is drawing near!!

Old 08-24-2011, 07:16 PM

613 posts, read 630,348 times
I'll let y'all know how it is as it's supposed to hit here 1st. Heck, earthquake yesterday, hurricane tomorrow-what's next, an ice storm in August?

Old 08-24-2011, 07:29 PM

29,722 posts, read 47,483,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
You'll get winds and rain. Possibly some power outage.
Some someone sneezes we have power outage.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine