Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 09:20 AM

565 posts, read 934,670 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone knew of any of these anywhere in the midcoast area, or central maine?

I saw one out near Bethel last February when we were leaving Mt Abram. Looking at the map now I am pretty sure right off Rt 35?

These wells are normally on side of road, in mountainous areas and to just pour out water all day long. You can fill as many gallons as you bring, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 10:36 AM

48 posts, read 123,692 times
There's one in Dixmont? Or one of the towns around there. I remember my parents pointing it out to us when I was a little kid. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:34 PM

783 posts, read 1,574,353 times
I know of two springs in the mid-coast area. There's one in West Rockport, off of Mount Pleasant St., which is off of Rt. 17. But looking at Mapquest, I'll be darned if I can figure out how to get there. Apparently, I can only drive there; a lot of good that does you... Good tasting water, but that whole area is blueberry fields, and they get sprayed.

The spring that I and a lot of other folks frequent is on Spring Lane on Rt.131, at Wiley's Corner. The man that built the well cover has the water tested at Aqua Maine every year, and posts the results on the well, where they remain until they fall off. It always tests well.

Last edited by maureenb; 08-29-2011 at 04:35 PM.. Reason: clarify directions

Old 08-29-2011, 06:14 PM

333 posts, read 873,378 times
Default roadside wells

There used to be one at Witch Spring Hill on old route 1 going from Brunswick to Bath, and there was another going west on route 2 towards Skowhegan near the Ski Resort can't remember the name of the place..

Old 08-29-2011, 06:54 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
on rte 27 in pittston-towards dresden

I travel alot and have seen folks line up at these wells-

I agree with the post above about the water test

Old 08-29-2011, 07:02 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
We have a few in our area, but they're springs, not wells. The one we use has been tested, and the water is fabulous!

Old 08-29-2011, 08:47 PM

33 posts, read 66,042 times
I know where there's a bubbling spring just off the woods road about a half mile from the earthen dam at the foot of 4th st.john's pond-- that's the head water of the ST. John's river-- and in that spring if you wrap a trout in brown paper than canvas then moss it will stay fresh for at least 4 days. Giving you a chance to hike over to 3rd st.johns to get a few more.

Old 08-30-2011, 06:05 AM

565 posts, read 934,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maureenb View Post
I know of two springs in the mid-coast area. There's one in West Rockport, off of Mount Pleasant St., which is off of Rt. 17. But looking at Mapquest, I'll be darned if I can figure out how to get there. Apparently, I can only drive there; a lot of good that does you... Good tasting water, but that whole area is blueberry fields, and they get sprayed.

The spring that I and a lot of other folks frequent is on Spring Lane on Rt.131, at Wiley's Corner. The man that built the well cover has the water tested at Aqua Maine every year, and posts the results on the well, where they remain until they fall off. It always tests well.
Thank you very much.... I got a very similar report from one of my Fiance's coworkers, however like your report, no exact location, afterwords she said she would have to show us in person sometime. I have a feeling its the same spring or very near there, cause this one is off of rt 17 too.

When we lost power the other day for the tropical storm, I got to thinking where we would fill up our water bottles if the power didnt come back on. The stores were all out of large bottles of water. I mean we had 6 gallons of drinking water for 2 people, but I was thinking more longer term.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
We have a few in our area, but they're springs, not wells. The one we use has been tested, and the water is fabulous!
If they have a tap or cover or pipe coming out of the earth, its more of a well than a spring, Webster says a well is "issue of water from the earth: a pool fed by a spring"

Old 08-30-2011, 05:05 PM

783 posts, read 1,574,353 times
I suppose I mangled words when speaking of the spring at Wiley's Corner, on the St. George peninsula. I said "well cover," I think. I wasn't there when Paul, a thoughtful local (and someone else, I recall) placed a stainless steel cover (he had fabricated out of the goodness of his heart) over & ran a pipe into where the spring issues from. I dunno what the insides look like; I do know it's a spring that has been fitted out in an effort to decrease contamination, increase useability - or whatever. Paul also scrubs the fill pipe clean of growth now & then. There's no pump - the water flows freely, which in my personal dictionary , makes it rather more a spring than a well!

You will often/ usually find a queue at the Wiley's Corner spring, even when the power is on.

As for the elusive spring somewhere off of Rt. 17, it was in a far more natural state. There was something, a pipe of some sort, from which you could fill jugs. Something I didn't mention before, this spring carries a story with Biblical resonance. It is said to originate at the top of Spruce Mtn?, where it weeps from a rock. I've always wanted to hike up and see for myself...

Old 08-30-2011, 06:11 PM

90 posts, read 171,528 times
The spring on the Mt. Pleasant road actually comes from Mount Pleasant crosses under the road then out a pipe where you can fill your jugs. Spruce Mountain located between rt. 17 and the Mount Pleasant Road and would need to run up hill to get any water out of the filling station. But hey who knows, stranger things have been know to happen "TYPE=PICT;ALT=0"

]It's not too hard to find if you are familiar with the general area. If you are coming from the north on 17 in Hope you will come to a store on your right Pushaw's Trading post. Take the right hand turn across the road from it (Wottons Mill rd.) when the road forks (about 1/16 a mile) bear left. After another 1/4 mile or so there will be a left hand (Paved road) turn Mount Pleasant road. Shortly after turning on this road it will turn to dirt. Follow this road past the first blue berry field on your left ½ mile or so later you will come to the 1 section fence and a turn off on the left that marks the spring. IF you reach a section BB field on your left you have gone 100 yards too far.

From the south. Head North on rt 17 from the intersections or rt 17 and rt 90 Take the first Left (1/8 or so from the intersection) Follow this road until you reach a fork (1.5 miles or so) Bear Right up a short but steep hill. On top of the hill the road will turn to dirt. Pass 2 BB fields on your right then the sprig will be immediately on your right just as you come top a right hand turn. About 1 mile from where it turns dirt.
I would say the one on Wiley's Corner, in St. George on rt 131 is better but a 40 minute drive for me. Its about 7 miles from rt 1 down on the right. There is a George/s river land trust hiking trail sign @ the spring if I remember correctly.

Rt 52 in Northport has one as well. Its on the left headed to Belfast. Some smart alack put a blow up alligator over the pipe so the water comes from his mouth

Hope this help you some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: