U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 10:39 AM

5,054 posts, read 11,145,907 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! My mom & step dad are coming up the last week of September to check things out. They're going to be on a cross country drive just to find "their spot". They, too, are "abandoning the family" as Grandma puts it, and getting the *ell out of Dodge, aka Texas! They just have no idea where they would want to be, and are looking to stay close to us, though they're also entertaining CO, which is NOWHERE near Maine.

They're going to check out TN, PA, WV, VA and up through the NE states into Maine. They're are wanting the same things we all want, including beautiful vistas and SEASONS!

Will there be any fall colors during that time? I know October would be ideal, but that's when my mom is out of school (teacher) so they have to come when they can. I told them you good folks are the "go-to's" for info on what they need to check out during that time of year.

Thanks for any info you can share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 11:07 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,608,056 times
We live in Eastport in the summers and we live in WV in the winters. We will be moving full time to Eastport in another couple of years when my husband retires.

WV is extremely hot and humid in the summer, oppressively so and the state government takes care of itself and not its people. In Charleston, the capital city, you have $2. a week taken out of your paycheck and remited to the city for the priviledge of driving and parking on city streets. Same in Huntington - I'd much rather be in Eastport where the air is clear, no bad temperatures, sea breezes, fabulous people, great local food than to be back in WV.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:21 AM

When you say "extremely hot", our summers are mid-upper 90s. That hot? That is one major thing they are wanting to escape. Their idea of perfect is same as ours - 65-70 and sunny!

Is VA the same? Thanks! ~Tammy

Old 08-16-2007, 11:35 AM

7,395 posts, read 11,737,175 times
Oh, Elcarim, we've got 'em! We should have great fall colors by then, and the bluest skies you will ever see are in late Sept and Oct.! The weather is perfect--days in the upper 60s and 70s, no humidity, and nights in the 50s for great sleeping. Combine that with the great people and the salt air, and they'll probably be moved here waiting for you to arrive!

Old 08-16-2007, 12:26 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,254,045 times
Yup, what Molly said. Your parents will probably move to Maine and be there to meet you! They are going at the perfect time

Old 08-16-2007, 01:25 PM

581 posts, read 537,885 times
How close do you want them to be? We could put them in say, Vermont if you don't want them right next door. And what about Grandma? You gonna leave her all by herself? New Jersey might work best for her...

Old 08-16-2007, 06:46 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,608,056 times
Default Heat in WV

My husband tells me that today it was 97 degrees and a heat index of 105, humidity of 96% in WV - It's been above 90 degrees all of August. Hope that helps.

Old 08-16-2007, 06:59 PM

30,687 posts, read 49,462,974 times
The MOFGA fair is 21 thru 23 September.

If you have never been to it, then you are missing a truly special treat. I do not think that any other fair comes close to waht is offered in Unity.

Do try to make it with us.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:55 PM

Thanks everyone! How close do I want them? Honestly? Maine is pretty small to share with family. I guess I'm a bad daughter, but my mother and I have never lived more than 45 miles apart in my entire life. That's one reason she's feeling so drawn to head north with us. She says I'm the only one she's ever been able to count on and can't imagine me living so far away. I guess they figure since they've already decided on moving out of state, why not! My grandma will be gone sooner than we all would like - she's dwindling fast, and there's not much real connection with any other family here, so she doesn't have much holding my mom here at all.

They were here for my son's BDay party this evening and sat with my laptop looking at photos of Acadia and Baxter Park. They were blown away. My SDad's dream has always been to live in Colorado, but they agreed that Maine has it all AND they'll be close to us. He's been following the temps, comparing Maine to his favorite part of CO, and they're nearly the same. I'm not sure how the snowfall compares, but they seem close enough at this time of year. The heat is killing them, as it is us.

Who knows if they'll actually do it, but I, too, don't see my mom living half way across the country from me.

Old 08-17-2007, 04:10 AM

4,459 posts, read 6,386,358 times
Elcarim

if you want a detailed description of Autumn foliage in Maine and all of New England see Yankee Magazine they have lots of great stuff. And a forum as well.

Yankee Magazine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or