U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 04:04 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,886,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
This is why you shouldn't buy off the net; even with the pictures. Pic 4 doesn't have the detail to show the rotted wood gutters (all around) that leaked, rotting the clapboards on that one side. None show the roof that needs new shingles, Pic 6 is where the previous owner turned off the heat but not the water one winter. They had a waterfall out the 2nd floor. And the interior pics don't show the hole in the kitchen ceiling where the rest of the water came down. As a matter of fact, there is no note of those frozen pipes at all.

I'm not trying to sour any deal for theses folks but it really needs a really good looking over with an inspector before bidding. It is a nice corner lot house with a lot of history and gorgeous woodwork. BUT...it needs a lot of work, too.
We noticed that the place went to hell when we saw it, heard it sold at a previous auction for $43,000, but the owner let it go down in the dumps much like his diner.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:13 PM

3,015 posts, read 4,872,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
We noticed that the place went to hell when we saw it, heard it sold at a previous auction for $43,000, but the owner let it go down in the dumps much like his diner.
They (diner) were the ones who the bank forclsed on. It sold in June at auction for $43,000. Guess they got a bad case of buyers remorse and let the bank have it back. Never saw a deed.

Old 08-31-2011, 04:21 PM

1,061 posts, read 1,695,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
I thought I posted to this before the internet went out. Oops. The previous owners paid $280K in 07. Too much in my opinion even then. They tried (yuh, sure) to sell it before it was foreclosed on for $499K OBO. Didn't work. I thought it had sold at auction this past June. Now up again.

No idea about the misssing windows other than owner preference. I believe one went to one of the upstairs bathrooms.
When I see missing windows like that, I tend to suspect one of two things: The owners might have needed solid wallspace, as for example to install a shower, or the windows needed replacement and the owner didn't want to spend money on replacement windows.

Old 09-03-2011, 12:22 AM

1,549 posts, read 2,240,834 times
Wonder what will happy with the poor old thing... i love old houses.
It's sad when they are left to go to ruin.

Someone is looking at a different house that's for sale on Key St. for me... Eastport is looking better and better these days.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:46 AM

1,158 posts, read 2,122,663 times
Just don't drink the water, we are on a "Boil Water" advisory in Eastport. The water isn't great even when it's okay. The house has as everyone said, fallen into disrepair. The lot is where the money is on this property. The house, no way, unless you own an oil well, and all your relatives are carpenters and want to spend summer by the sea, and work for their keep. On second thought you need to own a building supply company.

Old 09-04-2011, 06:52 AM

29,723 posts, read 47,495,927 times
What is wrong with Eastport water? I did not know that there was a water problem.

Old 09-04-2011, 03:50 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,122,663 times
Default eastport water

Well, with all the rain, we had an algal bloom in the lake that supplies municipal water. The filters clogged, and the water has not been clear, or especially good smelling as of late. (last few weeks) We have been assured that the coliform count is good but as a precaution, we have been advised to boil the water for 1 minute before use.

IMHO, they should have had the filters fixed weeks ago. I am not drinking it, even with boiling.

If you ever bathed in a river or lake while summer camping, you know the smell. Plus you can't tell if you flushed or not.

Hopefully they will get it fixed, but I am looking in to having a private well drilled on my property.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:22 AM

1,061 posts, read 1,695,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
Well, with all the rain, we had an algal bloom in the lake that supplies municipal water. The filters clogged, and the water has not been clear, or especially good smelling as of late. (last few weeks) We have been assured that the coliform count is good but as a precaution, we have been advised to boil the water for 1 minute before use.

IMHO, they should have had the filters fixed weeks ago. I am not drinking it, even with boiling.

If you ever bathed in a river or lake while summer camping, you know the smell. Plus you can't tell if you flushed or not.

Hopefully they will get it fixed, but I am looking in to having a private well drilled on my property.
That there can be disadvantages to being on town water is important to know when a property buyer compares the pros and cons of a property with private well vs one with town water.

In some other net forum I read a complaint about the town water in Calais--that it tasted bad and had chunks of rusty iron in it.

Hows the town sewer system--any problems with that historically?

Old 09-05-2011, 12:02 PM

Crappy. Obsolete before it was finished and running on waivers the last 10 years or so.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
What is wrong with Eastport water? I did not know that there was a water problem.
I'll let the the water comp. know to inform Argyle from now on. Sorry for the confusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine