U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 02:54 PM

960 posts, read 1,330,626 times

Advertisements

Generators usually have 2 ratings. One is continuous watts and then a surge number.Mine is 5000 continuous, 6500 surge. Mine is for use when we have extended power outages. An electrician installed the transfer switch and I had a custom power cord made, correctly sized for the generator and length. Total was about $550. It runs my well pump, furnace, keeps the food cold and some lights and the tv on. We had to use it for 3 days one march right after we moved in. There's nothing like hearing your furnace come on when it's 30 degrees outside. It's safe, it's easy and I don't have to guess about what I'm doing. As I said, my neighbor is a line crew foreman. He's seen it all and I value his advice.
Sure, you can do as you say and get away with it. You can go down the interstate at 100 mph too. What you are doing is increasing your risk of an accident. No one here is making a nickel off of you. The advice is good.
And make sure you run it outside in a well ventilated area. We personally know someone who died of carbon monoxide poisoning. Smart guy too. The generator was outside his garage but the door was open. Carbon monoxide detectors are a must.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:02 PM

12,084 posts, read 33,167,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
My goal is to run the fridge, the thermostat (oil burner) a tv, and a few lights with the surge power to kick in the water pump when needed.

Sears.com
Looking closer at that generator you linked to. It doesn't have a 240 volt outlet at all. There is a regular 120v duplex outlet and a 120v 30Amp outlet for a camper.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:23 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,221,904 times
LOL, when others are pointing out ventilation it's clear I am thought of as an idiot. No problem here, I came looking for answers and appreciate the feedback. Trust me I have no interest in doing anything stupid/dangerous.

To reply the heat is an oil burner, I simply need power for the thermostat. As for Bydand's last post I am confused on the well pump issue. Here is a quote from an Amazon review of the unit I linked:

This thing is super efficient! I was running my well pump, my refrigerator, my 41" TV and cable boxes, internet router, wi-fi, 4-5 lights and ipod and computer chargers. Occasionally it would bog for a second if the fridge and pump kicked on at the same time but it was momentary, I assume it was going to the surge output.

Here are the specs from the Sears link:

• Briggs & Stratton 250cc 1150 Series™ OHV Engine, with 11.50 ft-lbs Gross Torque* produces 3500 Running Watts, 4375 Starting Watts
  • Multi-featured control panel has two 220V household outlets and one 120V 30A RV outlet
  • Large 4-gallon metal fuel tank with fuel gauge
  • Power Surge™ Alternator keeps large appliance running
  • Backed by a 2- Year Limited Warranty
  • 50 State CARB Compliant...

So why wouldn't this generator meet my needs? Any why is 220 volt also called 240 volt? That makes little sense to a guy like me.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 02-12-2014 at 05:52 AM..

Old 02-12-2014, 06:47 AM

3,097 posts, read 5,431,348 times
Quote:
LOL, when others are pointing out ventilation it's clear I am thought of as an idiot. No problem here, I came looking for answers and appreciate the feedback. Trust me I have no interest in doing anything stupid/dangerous.

To reply the heat is an oil burner, I simply need power for the thermostat. As for Bydand's last post I am confused on the well pump issue. Here is a quote from an Amazon review of the unit I linked:

This thing is super efficient! I was running my well pump, my refrigerator, my 41" TV and cable boxes, internet router, wi-fi, 4-5 lights and ipod and computer chargers. Occasionally it would bog for a second if the fridge and pump kicked on at the same time but it was momentary, I assume it was going to the surge output.

Here are the specs from the Sears link:

• Briggs & Stratton 250cc 1150 Series™ OHV Engine, with 11.50 ft-lbs Gross Torque* produces 3500 Running Watts, 4375 Starting Watts
  • Multi-featured control panel has two 220V household outlets and one 120V 30A RV outlet

So why wouldn't this generator meet my needs? Any why is 220 volt also called 240 volt? That makes little sense to a guy like me.

Here's the actual description from your link
Description Item # 07133170000P Model # 030550
Be ready for the next storm. The Briggs & Stratton 3500 Watt generator has the power you need when you need it and where you need it. This portable generator has 8-inch Never Go Flat Wheels and produces 3500 running watts. Featuring a large fuel tank this portable Briggs & Stratton generator has an 8- hour run time (at 1/2 load). <p>Weather the storm and keep your appliances running. The Power Surge™ Alternator produces the power needed to start and keep appliances and tools running. Two 120V household outlets make it easy to plug into the generator.

I don't see a 220volt outlet mentioned.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:10 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,221,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
Here's the actual description from your link
Description Item # 07133170000P Model # 030550
Be ready for the next storm. The Briggs & Stratton 3500 Watt generator has the power you need when you need it and where you need it. This portable generator has 8-inch Never Go Flat Wheels and produces 3500 running watts. Featuring a large fuel tank this portable Briggs & Stratton generator has an 8- hour run time (at 1/2 load). <p>Weather the storm and keep your appliances running. The Power Surge™ Alternator produces the power needed to start and keep appliances and tools running. Two 120V household outlets make it easy to plug into the generator.

I don't see a 220volt outlet mentioned.
If you read the specs just below where you cut off you will see the section I copied and pasted. A blow up of the generator clearly shows a 220 outlet. Here's the link again:

Sears.com

Now after looking at my panel it's clear that I do not have a receptor for the 220 v feed. So I broke the news to the wife that we will have heat but no water. And yes in order to get that I will hire a contractor and get the appropriate chord. But for now I want to be able to heat the house and eventually operate the well pump and it seems like this one will do it. No?

Old 02-12-2014, 11:30 AM

10,298 posts, read 10,396,911 times
I don't see how you can get an answer about the size of the generator you need without taking some measurements. Any electrician can do that for you. You need to get an actual reading (from a clamp-on ammeter) of the current your refrigerator, boiler, and well pump use. I found that my freezer and refrigerator used less than I thought they would. You simply can't size the generator by saying you want to run a boiler, fridge and 2 lights and expect an electrician to know how much current each of these things draw.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
If you read the specs just below where you cut off you will see the section I copied and pasted. A blow up of the generator clearly shows a 220 outlet. Here's the link again:

Sears.com

Now after looking at my panel it's clear that I do not have a receptor for the 220 v feed. So I broke the news to the wife that we will have heat but no water. And yes in order to get that I will hire a contractor and get the appropriate chord. But for now I want to be able to heat the house and eventually operate the well pump and it seems like this one will do it. No?
A blow up of that generator CLEARLY shows a 120 VOLT 30 AMP RV style outlet (NEMA TT-30R)... Not a 240 volt one in addition to a regular duplex outlet. Just like I said. I have been an Electrician for 30+ years and have hooked up hundreds and hundreds of generators and transfer switches, the one you linked to will NOT provide 240 for a well pump if that is what you need. As for the comment mentioning the "pump turning on" that is probably an old well pump that is on the surfac and is 120 volt, NOT a submersible 240 volt one. 220v-240v people use interchangeably, quite wrongly I might add. 240v is the way it has been referred to in the trade for 30+ years that I can vouch for and is more accurate than the 220v label.

It appears you are going to forge ahead and do it the way you want without listening or taking advice from anyone more knowledgeable than you are by the last pat of your post. DON'T use a double male ended cord, you are asking to burn down your home, and guess what; no insurance company will pay out a penny if they find in the aftermath the remains of that cord, especially if it is plugged into an outlet.

Good Luck! You'll need it.

Last edited by Bydand; 02-12-2014 at 01:05 PM..

Old 02-12-2014, 01:10 PM

Quote:
[/i]Here are the specs from the Sears link:

As for the Sears specs, somebody had a typo. Neither of those outlets are 240 volt. As for your oil burner. Again is your unit an oil fired forced hot air furnace or an oil fired boiler. Do you have vents that blow air or baseboard heat that runs along the length of the walls? One has a blower that needs to be considered in the draw, the other does not. That is why I asked for clarification. Even if it is a boiler, it takes much more electricity than just running the thermostat. It needs to draw in the oil and force it through the nozzle (electric pump), then fire the oil mist (big honking electrodes). Most boilers draw between 7 and 10 amps ( 840 - 1200 watts) while in operation.

Also, Sears tend to be high on their Generator prices. You can get the same brand at Home Depot for $80 less but rated at 5000 continuous watts 6250 peak (start-up) that also does have the 120/240 30 amp outlet you would need in the future to run the well pump.

Last edited by Bydand; 02-12-2014 at 01:41 PM..

Old 02-12-2014, 03:05 PM

17,170 posts, read 22,205,059 times
bydand is giving good accurate advice, at no cost....i would listen to him.

Old 02-13-2014, 03:52 AM

960 posts, read 1,330,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
bydand is giving good accurate advice, at no cost....i would listen to him.

2nd this! An electrician is money well spent. You'll be safe, have it done right, and add value to your home. If you're just looking for someone to validate YOUR choice, then, Good Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine