U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 05:25 AM

9,459 posts, read 5,231,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
A blow up of that generator CLEARLY shows a 120 VOLT 30 AMP RV style outlet (NEMA TT-30R)... Not a 240 volt one in addition to a regular duplex outlet. Just like I said. I have been an Electrician for 30+ years and have hooked up hundreds and hundreds of generators and transfer switches, the one you linked to will NOT provide 240 for a well pump if that is what you need. As for the comment mentioning the "pump turning on" that is probably an old well pump that is on the surfac and is 120 volt, NOT a submersible 240 volt one. 220v-240v people use interchangeably, quite wrongly I might add. 240v is the way it has been referred to in the trade for 30+ years that I can vouch for and is more accurate than the 220v label.

It appears you are going to forge ahead and do it the way you want without listening or taking advice from anyone more knowledgeable than you are by the last pat of your post. DON'T use a double male ended cord, you are asking to burn down your home, and guess what; no insurance company will pay out a penny if they find in the aftermath the remains of that cord, especially if it is plugged into an outlet.

Good Luck! You'll need it.
I am not just trying to validate my opinion. I value yours, even as you scream at me, and have NO interest in killing myself. So thank you for preventing a tragedy. I do have my doubts about your claim on the insurance company given people burn their house down by being stupid all the time. But I don't want to find out.

I looked at the blow up again. I see 2 120 v outlets to the right, then a 3 prong outlet that to me looks like a 220 outlet but clearly it is not. Can you please help me understand what that is if it's not a 220?. Again the specs says 220 v, I didn't just pull that out of my butt to validate my position.

As for the pump, it's new actually and is submersed to about 150 feet. As for the furnace it is a boiler, hot water radiators. That's why I said I only need power for the thermostat.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 02-13-2014 at 05:47 AM..

Old 02-13-2014, 05:33 AM

79 posts, read 104,921 times
[quote=DaveinMtAiry;33435519]LOL, when others are pointing out ventilation it's clear I am thought of as an idiot. No problem here, I came looking for answers and appreciate the feedback. Trust me I have no interest in doing anything stupid/dangerous.

To reply the heat is an oil burner, I simply need power for the thermostat. As for Bydand's last post I am confused on the well pump issue.
So why wouldn't this generator meet my needs? Any why is 220 volt also called 240 volt? That makes little sense to a guy like

That thermostat takes almost no power at all, however when it kicks on it starts the burner which leads to a running circulator or blower....which do use some power.

We have a 5500/6850 here. I have propane for heat and stove/oven and well as wood stove if I chose to run it so we can easily adapt to minimize power usage for a while. It runs literally everything including the well,heat,TV's,computers, lights,etc. The whole house is fed and the only thing we avoid running is our dishwasher, blow dryer, and electric dryer. We can run our window a/c if needed in the summer even on it.

Dont factor "everything" and include non-essentials, but you dont want to oversize for the sake of high fuel use either. You dont want a fuel pig unless you need it. If powers out for a week we have plenty of time to wash our dishes by hand !

Hope that helps.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:42 AM

Your last line hit the nail on the head. On top of the lower cost this generator seems to use less gas. Hard to have a comfortable night's sleep if the generator will only run for 5 hours before needing refueling.

As i said I'm not running a dishwasher, dryer etc. I just want a warm house, TV/Internet, fridge, a few lights and yes water if possible.

I did find this same generator at HD for $299 which is strange because when I ran the search before they were all in the $499 range like the Sears link. The Home Depot description however DID say it only had 120 v. Again I was basing my posts on the specs suppleid by Sears.

Edit: Upon further investiation of this unit I find this description:

Home Series Generators are versatile portable generators for powering tools and home essentials. Designed to be hardworking and reliable to help protect families and possessions during a power outage. Includes two 120V household outlets and one 120/240V, 20A locking outlet. Wheels are included.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/el...il-start-3500w

Again just looking for clarification. Why are companies listing this at 220 (240) if it is not? And what does 120/240 mean exactly?

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 02-13-2014 at 06:36 AM..

Old 02-13-2014, 09:21 AM

12,084 posts, read 33,178,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I looked at the blow up again. I see 2 120 v outlets to the right, then a 3 prong outlet that to me looks like a 220 outlet but clearly it is not. Can you please help me understand what that is if it's not a 220?. Again the specs says 220 v, I didn't just pull that out of my butt to validate my position.
Have you even read my posts all the way through? In 2 of them I tell you EXACTLY what that larger outlet is. I even give the NEMA code for it in one to make it easy to look up if you doubt.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:49 AM

960 posts, read 1,331,932 times
Quote:
Have you even read my posts all the way through? In 2 of them I tell you EXACTLY what that larger outlet is. I even give the NEMA code for it in one to make it easy to look up if you doubt.

You did your best. Some people don't want advice as much as validation of what they already plan to do. You made a valiant effort, but I think you're wasting your time here.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:

Again I am not an electrician, obviously. I saw your reference to the NEMA code but had no idea what it meant.

If you guys think I'm being stubborn and are strictly trying to validate my (incorrect) opinion that's fine. However I have posted not one but 2 links that describe the unit as having 220V as well as a user review that stated he ran his well pump. I was simply looking for clarification, not sure why that is so hard to understand but whatever. I appreciate the help.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:34 AM

2,384 posts, read 6,087,922 times
I have posted in detail how I have used my Troy Bilt 5500/8700 generator very safely in my ranch home.Wired back from various rooms with #12 to J-box and #12 cords and plugs to generator,completely safe.Ran pump,micro,refrig,small freezerTV,Dish,computer and if necessary 5600 BTU AC.When power was off,plugged all items into outlets,had transfer switch on pump to new feed.No way for anyone or anything to get hurt.Cost was minimal.

Old 02-13-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
I have posted in detail how I have used my Troy Bilt 5500/8700 generator very safely in my ranch home.Wired back from various rooms with #12 to J-box and #12 cords and plugs to generator,completely safe.Ran pump,micro,refrig,small freezerTV,Dish,computer and if necessary 5600 BTU AC.When power was off,plugged all items into outlets,had transfer switch on pump to new feed.No way for anyone or anything to get hurt.Cost was minimal.
I remember that and that will be my plan, eventually.

In my research I also learned that there doesn''t seem to be an too many products available that are an enclosed shed for storing and operating a generator. I've seen a number of homemade instructions etc but I'd be concerned about proper ventilation if I did it myself. Seems like there would be a market for such a product. Even though we live in the country we do have a few houses not too far away and portable generators are LOUD. A commercially made shed with proper sound proofing and ventilation would be a great thing to have.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:06 PM

12,084 posts, read 33,178,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Again I am not an electrician, obviously. I saw your reference to the NEMA code but had no idea what it meant.

If you guys think I'm being stubborn and are strictly trying to validate my (incorrect) opinion that's fine. However I have posted not one but 2 links that describe the unit as having 220V as well as a user review that stated he ran his well pump. I was simply looking for clarification, not sure why that is so hard to understand but whatever. I appreciate the help.
You have got to be kidding that you think I can't understand what you posted or your questions. I posted CLEAR, concise, accurate answers for every question. Yet you continue to ask the same thing again and again.

SO: yes, yes it has 240; yes it is perfect; yes it is big enough; yes you should just 1/2 ass the job and forget doing it right. No, nobody here knows what the heck they are talking about .

I'm done. Hopefully somebody got some use out of the information I posted.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:21 PM

3,104 posts, read 5,434,470 times
Quote:
You have got to be kidding that you think I can't understand what you posted or your questions. I posted CLEAR, concise, accurate answers for every question. Yet you continue to ask the same thing again and again.

SO: yes, yes it has 240; yes it is perfect; yes it is big enough; yes you should just 1/2 ass the job and forget doing it right. No, nobody here knows what the heck they are talking about .

I'm done. Hopefully somebody got some use out of the information I posted.
I'd rep you again right here if I could...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine