U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 08:27 AM

87 posts, read 190,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Some people use pollack instead of cod for the kind of dried fish that I know (it's like fish jerky).
Yep thats what it was like "fish jerky" and as I remember i liked the thinner areas and the drier the better.
My grandparents on Deerisle used to make it. Layer it up with salt in a wooden barrel, I don't remember how long and then hang it on a clothes line to dry. How I remember and long for that smell in that garage, no other place like it. I think it was made with the smaller fish.
I have tried the box stuff, and not the same as eating it off the skin. Perhaps its the extra flavor the flys give it or maybe grandma's touch.

That fish and those donuts she used to make are 2 things that I will never forget, and may never eat again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 07:00 PM

90 posts, read 133,525 times
I had a lot of left overs from my filletts this spring frommy trip on the bunny clark (120lbs fillets EPIC day) and tried my hand at making some in a dehydrator and it workd well. Marrinate salt and dry over night. I saw the packs of jerky in the story for $4.50 and figured I could do it better and cheeper. Cheep yes but I have to be honest I love cod and pollok but wow is it fishy when you dry it out lol. I highly doubt i'll do it again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or