Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2008, 09:00 AM

16 posts, read 58,027 times

Advertisements

We've had our camp built on Hardewood Hill for a few years now. The "back" of the Island is kind of tricky to navigate. The friend of ours who owned "Eagle Island" used to go out and attach empty plastic jugs to direct through the area. That works until the stumps unattach and move to a different location. I don't know if there are any legalities re: marking channel. We usually only go there in the Basstender, as it goes over them fairly easily and the trolling motor lifts up quickly. As long as you take it slow, you shouldn't really have a problem. As far as snowmobiling/atv in the winter, we do it every year, however we go from the mainland straight across to the closest part of the island (about 300'). We have taken our truck across in the winter with our bulky items, but not until we've checked with friends of ours on the mainland who drive out with their icehouse to fish every Winter. I don't know about the other parts of the lake though ! We stick to the shore of the Island for recreation.. In the Winter, there's a beautiful sight when the ice flows converge and create a wall of ice. ( We view from the land .)

Old 08-20-2008, 05:55 AM

642 posts, read 1,255,397 times
Default March or August?

WOW. When we woke up at 4:30 a.m. this morning we couldn't tell if it was March or August by the sound of the wind. The window was open and it was COLD inside and out - hovering around 50. Brrrrrr. The three pound puppy had trouble making headway during the one mile morning walk. The 80 pound doodle was absolutely thrilled to be able to romp hard without heavy panting. He jumped, twirled, raced and nosed the little guy along when he fell behind. Today's wind was so stiff not even the deer flies could keep up with us.

This is why August is so bittersweet. The humid, buggy, hot days of July are past but August days seem to shorten quickly and can be too cool to swim or boat, especially after work.

Old 08-20-2008, 04:58 PM

5 posts, read 20,461 times
Default Thanks everyone

Thanks everyone, we much appreciate your responses about the lake and the way of life at and around Graham lake. As you might know we are up on the Union River or the willie wags near the overhead power lines. We still love it, it just takes us a little longer to get to the lake. We look forward to American Girls descriptions of the cold mornings or the lazy days by the lake. Keep it up. Being back in Florida is nice but we miss the quiet and solitude of the river and lake. HWRT24, my parents also have a camp on the river, Union River Road but are your neighbors in Troy Maine. Its a small world. They head up to the river most weekends to escape the "rat race" in Troy. Ha Ha. We plan on moving to the river either part time or full time in the near future. As I plan to retire from the military we cannot decide to leave sunny Florida and uproot my teenagers or get them through high school down here. Hard decisions. Look forward to hearing more of your stories about the lake/river and living "the good life" up there on the lake.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:31 AM

68 posts, read 195,154 times
Small world indeed. The wife and I own the camp right next door to your parents. Your folks gave us a tour while they were still under construction. Very nice camp. We too like the area very much but can't seem to get up there often enough.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:56 PM

Default Lake level dropping

Friday night when we got home from work the boat was bobbing gently next to the dock. Saturday morning three feet of the dock was out of the water. By Sunday morning the boat was sitting on ground. Last night we put the dock out about 8 more feet but I hold out no hope that the boat will be afloat when we get home tonight. We were so hoping to have the boat in the water till mid September this year. Of course we can put it in and take it out at the boat landing but it's just so much more convenient and enjoyable to come home, grab the boat bag, a bottle of wine and the dogs and head out. Trailering the boat and driving 8 miles just to put it into our own lake.....jeesh. Guess I need a bottle of wine to go with that whine

Old 08-26-2008, 04:31 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American girl View Post
Friday night when we got home from work the boat was bobbing gently next to the dock. Saturday morning three feet of the dock was out of the water. By Sunday morning the boat was sitting on ground. Last night we put the dock out about 8 more feet but I hold out no hope that the boat will be afloat when we get home tonight. We were so hoping to have the boat in the water till mid September this year. Of course we can put it in and take it out at the boat landing but it's just so much more convenient and enjoyable to come home, grab the boat bag, a bottle of wine and the dogs and head out. Trailering the boat and driving 8 miles just to put it into our own lake.....jeesh. Guess I need a bottle of wine to go with that whine

Nah... just some cheese and crackers!!!

Old 09-02-2008, 09:29 AM

13 posts, read 50,223 times
Oh My goodness! We got to the camp this past friday, and our dock was 5' above the water! It looked like an ocean dock at low tide. We had to Jump down onto the Pontoon boat. Sad to say we had to pull the pontoon out of the water yesterday. Since we don't know what this week will bring with the water drop, we don't want to have to drag it out of the mud when we get back up there. Those of us who were fortunate enough to be on the lake for the few weeks that we did not have rain, what a great summer!
And now. For the next season: Fall foliage, and crisp nights that provide for good sleeping. And then, snow and ice to get the snowmobiles running again and Ice fishing. Is there ever a bad season on Graham Lake? I think not!

Old 09-02-2008, 03:54 PM

6 posts, read 19,179 times
Hi - a reply to all those who are fortunate to have water at all times of the year - it must vary depending on where on the lake your property is located in Mariaville.
We have been there several times in late August and have had no water in front of our land - only very thick mud that we sank into when we tried to get out to the part of the lake that had water. We are located on School House Road.
I am wondering how the power company lease expiring in 2018 (if I remember correctly) will affect the water levels. Too bad we didn't make it to our land during the earlier part of the summer. It sounds like all of you lakedwellers had lots of water.

Last edited by HWRT24; 09-02-2008 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: update

Old 09-02-2008, 03:56 PM

6 posts, read 19,179 times
I appreciate your follow up. We didn't get a chance to head up to our property yet this summer, but it sounds like we will face the dreaded muddy shore again.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:33 AM

Default Water, Water everywhere

Last night's rain was incredible. Haven't checked any newspapers or TV broadcasts yet so can only relate my own experience. We have a very large, deep wheel barrow and it was nearly full this morning. The 14 foot dock, which was nearly half way out of the water yesterday is now in the water. The boat is once again bobbing away. We were going to take the boat out today - over at the boat landing. Now we're wondering whether to risk keeping it in another week in hopes of one last boat ride next weekend. We were out on the lake a couple of times last week. This is the first summer in four years that we've had the boat still in the water after mid August.

I can tell you that the baby dog was NOT happy last night at 10 p.m. or at 4:30 a.m when he had to go outside for bathroom duty. The big ole doodle didn't mind a bit. He sat under the garage door overhang with me watching the little guy do his sissy walk and complain.

As to questions about what PPL will do when their current contract is up, they will reapply and that is when lake dwellers need to gather together and request a change in minimum lake level allowances from FEMA. With more homeowners on the lake it has become more of a recreational lake and as such we may have influence on how much the lake level can drop and when. Let's all keep our eye on this date!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine