Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2008, 07:11 AM

1 posts, read 2,124 times

Advertisements

I'm reading these blogs to gain information about Graham Lake. We are vacationing there this July at Lakeside Cedar Cabins.It advertises as warm swimming ,fishing and a place for loon sitings.We are from PA and I was suprised to learn the dam was owned by PPl.We have a tandem kayak and are looking forward to exploring the lake.Our last vacation to Maine we stayed at a place in Sullivan that had a little rock quarry swimming hole.My girls didn't mind the cold water (It was June)but I didn't swim. I'm hoping the water on the lake will be nice the third week of July.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:50 PM

642 posts, read 1,256,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ednic View Post
I'm reading these blogs to gain information about Graham Lake. We are vacationing there this July at Lakeside Cedar Cabins.It advertises as warm swimming ,fishing and a place for loon sitings.We are from PA and I was suprised to learn the dam was owned by PPl.We have a tandem kayak and are looking forward to exploring the lake.Our last vacation to Maine we stayed at a place in Sullivan that had a little rock quarry swimming hole.My girls didn't mind the cold water (It was June)but I didn't swim. I'm hoping the water on the lake will be nice the third week of July.
While you will find your surroundings very different this year Graham Lake will fit the bill for warm swimming and great kayaking. The lake is shallow and warm and unless we have a very cold spring you should find it very pleasant. There are many islands right off the beach in front of the Cedar Cabins and you'll also enjoy paddling around the two big heaths within easy kayaking distance. We see and hear loons every day. Bass fishing is great.

In the ten years I've been on the lake PPL has never lowered water much in July. We were low once because of drought.

Personal reports from friends are all positive about Cedar Lakeside Cabins. We hope you enjoy it!

Old 12-08-2008, 01:19 PM

Default Gadzooks!

WOW! When we got up this morning at 4:30 a.m. it was 5 below zero on the lakeside of the house and 10 degrees above zero on the road side and only 57 degrees inside. No wonder three cats and two dogs were on the bed. And the wind was blowing so hard that it sounded like a freight train. The puppy could barely keep his feet under him long enough to do his business. Of course the doodle thought it was just fine outside. The icy waves breaking on the shore looked like the ice in a frozen margarita. I'd say winter has arrived but tomorrow's forecast is for 50 degrees and rain.

The puppy went through the ice yesterday. It was very thin and he was only out a couple of feet but he only weighs six pounds and he was drenched and shivering. He had snuck out the cat door unnoticed and I just happened to look out the window at the exact moment his little backside went in. I ran down to the beach but he was already up on shore. Needless to say we've blocked off the cat door.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:40 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American girl View Post
WOW! When we got up this morning at 4:30 a.m. it was 5 below zero on the lakeside of the house and 10 degrees above zero on the road side and only 57 degrees inside. No wonder three cats and two dogs were on the bed. And the wind was blowing so hard that it sounded like a freight train. The puppy could barely keep his feet under him long enough to do his business. Of course the doodle thought it was just fine outside. The icy waves breaking on the shore looked like the ice in a frozen margarita. I'd say winter has arrived but tomorrow's forecast is for 50 degrees and rain.

The puppy went through the ice yesterday. It was very thin and he was only out a couple of feet but he only weighs six pounds and he was drenched and shivering. He had snuck out the cat door unnoticed and I just happened to look out the window at the exact moment his little backside went in. I ran down to the beach but he was already up on shore. Needless to say we've blocked off the cat door.
Almost a Pup-sickle!

Old 12-09-2008, 07:32 AM

Deep intake of breath.....this morning's 4:30 a.m. temp was 4 above zero. Inside was slightly warmer than yesterday morning because there was no wind and I stoked the stove at 1 a.m. As we stepped down off the porch in search of bushes the cold caught my breath and the snow squeaked under my winter crocs. Moonlight showed the way so I turned off the flashlight and stuck my hands in my pockets. Hurry, hurry I thought silently. Speaking out loud diverts the doodle's attention from the business at hand and then the puppy starts biting his ankles and what should be a 5 minute chore turns into a 20 minute sniff fest. Can they really smell all those good animal scents under the snow? Don't they know I'm outside in pajamas under dad's coat?

Old 12-12-2008, 06:20 AM

Default Hateful weather

Woke up at 3:45 with no power and driving icy rain. Got the generator going, made coffee and listened to the news. Power only out about an hour but it could very well go out again. The trees are ice covered and bent to the ground. Unless it warms up and really rains the ice away we'll be in trouble because there is a heavy wind warning for later today.

I'm always awed by how really dark it is when all the lights go out. It's weird and wonderful. The puppy is very unhappy. He was neutered Wednesday and he can barely get around as it is. This morning's slippery skate out the driveway, in his opinion, was most unnecessary. It didn't take him long to get the jobs done and he got a ride back into the house. Hurray for *** Traks. The doodle didn't even notice the rain or the slippery drive. He's my hero.

And, then as I was scraping the 1/4 inch of ice off my car the doors locked all on their own - and of course it was running. And don't you just know that I had left my brief case with my spare car keys at the office. What was I thinking? Anyway the plant manager opened my office and DH left his job and went and got my brief case and brought it home. By the time I got to work I was exhausted.

DH gets his favorite tonight - spaghetti with homemade meat sauce.

For all of you "thinking of moving to Maine" if you can get through a morning like this smiling and good natured you'll do fine

Old 12-12-2008, 07:13 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,599 times
I always left my spare key in my gas tank thingy.

*can't remember for the life of me the real name of the thingy*

Argh!

Old 12-12-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
I always left my spare key in my gas tank thingy.

*can't remember for the life of me the real name of the thingy*

Argh!
I should do that. I have a remote car starter (because dh keeps his tractor in the garage) and it's bulky but I could get another key and just stick it in there.

Old 12-12-2008, 07:30 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,894 times
What my dad taught me and what I've always followed is to take a key and put it behind my license plate. You need to drill a hole in the top of the key large enough to fit through the screw that holds the plate. You can remove it with a quarter if you're stuck somewhere. (Use the quarter as a screwdriver). Works like a charm!

Old 12-12-2008, 07:37 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American girl View Post
I should do that. I have a remote car starter (because dh keeps his tractor in the garage) and it's bulky but I could get another key and just stick it in there.

That's hysterical! That tractor gets to stay in the garage, your car has to brave the elements! Sounds like a real native Maine man to me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
What my dad taught me and what I've always followed is to take a key and put it behind my license plate. You need to drill a hole in the top of the key large enough to fit through the screw that holds the plate. You can remove it with a quarter if you're stuck somewhere. (Use the quarter as a screwdriver). Works like a charm!
Excellent idea!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine