U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 08:08 AM

3 posts, read 28,041 times

Advertisements

just caught this blog and had to write. i too have property on graham lake and spend as much time as possible there. it is peaceful and beautiful. i had to decide between graham lake and beech hill pond and chose graham for the solitude. the other lakes in the area are beautiful if you can see through the crowds. the mainers do thier best to be loyal to thier previous generations who protested the dam more than 50 years ago (new englanders have big issues with any change). as for my family and i, we swim, paddle and fish in graham lake and enjoy the wild life that has been scared away from the noise on the other more populated lakes. i hope for you that you decided to buy your property. if you did i guarentee you will enjoy it.

Old 01-22-2007, 12:22 PM

11 posts, read 80,803 times
It was great to see this post today. I check back every once in a while. Which end of the lake are you located? We are at the south end and have not spent a summer there yet (bought this past fall) but are really looking forward to it this year. Is the swimming good? How about sailing? Any waterskiing/jetskiing or is it too risky with the water levels? Have you had a dock put in?

Old 01-23-2007, 05:20 PM

3 posts, read 28,041 times
we're up north in mariaville. flat bottom boats ar the best choice for graham lake. there are lots of small pontoon boats. we canoe and kayak. small sailboats like sunfish are ok but deep drafts are probably not a good idea. the water level can get low. last year it stayed high because of all the rain and i think they we're testing the new repairs on the dam. it got very low the year before. my kids still went swimming. i thought it was too muddy. if you build a dock, make sure it's removable (floating) so it can go in and out with the water levels. enjoy.

Old 02-06-2007, 07:22 PM

11 posts, read 51,958 times
Hey, I've been following this thread for months! I just purchased land in August in Waltham on a peninsula there and although I love the area I am always looking for more information on the lake. I really like to swim, fish and water ski. I've found some maps on water depth (average 17 feet with depth changes from 6 to 40.) But would appreciate feed back on water clarity and the possibilty of skiing from someone who has lived there! thanks again .

Old 02-19-2007, 02:56 PM

573 posts, read 1,012,118 times
Hope it's not too late to reply. Graham Lake is a beautiful place to live. When I was a kid it was thought to be less than desirable but with prices skyrocketing many, like me, have rediscovered this beautiful, quiet lake. It is shallow and wide and the wind whips up the lake bottom from time to time hence the brown water. This filters the water and makes it very clean - but cloudy. I have 500 feet of sand beach and sand quite far out underfoot for great swimming. The area surrounding the lake is noted for it's gravel pits so there is plenty of sand around much of the lake. PPL, the company that owns the lake, is somewhat insensitve about raising and lowering water levels. Bangor Hydro used to wait until Labor Day to lower the lake. However, when the water is low it opens up other avenues to enjoy the lake, like walking for miles around the shore. The river runs through the lake and the water is 30 to 50 feet deep. Because it is shallow it is quiet. Last July 4th I took my pontoon boat out for a leisurely cruise up the lake and counted just three other boaters all day. Hardly any jet skis either. I'd say buy property now before too many more people discover this quiet gem.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:49 AM

Thanks for the information. We are really looking forward to summers on the lake. Did you put in your sand beach or is it natural? I'm guessing that wouldn't be allowed? Keep writing about Graham Lake, we love to hear about it!

Old 02-21-2007, 01:41 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,512,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainelover View Post
Thanks for the information. We are really looking forward to summers on the lake. Did you put in your sand beach or is it natural? I'm guessing that wouldn't be allowed? Keep writing about Graham Lake, we love to hear about it!
You'd have a really hard time getting permission from the Department of Environmental Protection or the Land Use Regulation Commission to put in your own sand beach. The state Shoreland Zoning Law is pretty strict about the number of trees you can cut within 250 feet of the waterline, much less dumping truckloads of sand. There have been cases where people who did try to build a beach were forced to remove all the sand and restore the natural habitat.

Old 02-22-2007, 09:05 AM

I did not put sand on the beach, as Coaster says that is against the law. However, I suspect that previous owners may have shored up the existing sand with more. But there are several lovely sand beaches around the lake and sandy as far as you can touch bottom when you're swimming. As I said earlier there are many sand and gravel pits around the lake. This week the DOT has been repairing the bridge on Route 180 causing folks on that side of the lake to have to travel 40 miles around the lake to get into Ellsworth. A resourceful person (and fool hardy, in my opinion) staked out a road across the lake on the Ellsworth end and many people cut across the ice road. It's been weird to see traffic out there. I took some pictures which appear on The Ellsworth American's website ellsworthamerican.com. I've been cross country skiing and snowshoing to my hearts content these past few weeks.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:22 AM

Sounds like it's pretty good for swimming. Are there many sailboats? Seems like it would be a great lake for small sailboats. Does anyone know how long 180 will be worked on? Is it completely shut down or just down to one lane? Hope its finished by summer!

Old 02-23-2007, 05:58 AM

Route 180 re opened yesterday afternoon. one lane traffic over the bridge for now so it is slow going but quicker than going around. It should be finished by summer. A couple of families have small sail boats and yes, it is a great lake for sailing. Upwards of ten of us have pontoon boats. We see some bass boats and small power boats. Kayaks and canoes are common sights. Up until two years ago we never saw a jet ski but now there are a couple. But still the lake is very peaceful even on beautiful weekends. Last Saturday I skied on the lake and was joined by an eagle. He seemed to be eyeing my dog but soon decided that he was too big to be grabbed! He followed us for miles though. Magnificent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or