Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2008, 07:48 AM

642 posts, read 1,256,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
That's hysterical! That tractor gets to stay in the garage, your car has to brave the elements! Sounds like a real native Maine man to me!

Actually he's from Ohio! But a man's tractor is a sacred thing wherever he's from. I got the remote starter as a Christmas gift when the garage went up because he claimed every inch of it for himself. It's his refuge, his tinkering heaven and now, home for the Kubota

Old 12-12-2008, 07:48 AM

653 posts, read 1,918,895 times
i smiling right, yumm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by American girl View Post

DH gets his favorite tonight - spaghetti with homemade meat sauce.

For all of you "thinking of moving to Maine" if you can get through a morning like this smiling and good natured you'll do fine

Old 12-12-2008, 12:12 PM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times
Default Enjoy this thread

I always go for a fishing paddle on Graham lake when I'm in the area. Ran the west branch of the union river from rt 9 to Graham lake a couple of times. Launch off 181 near the wooded island and usually head up the east branch to fish. The beaver always seem to get close without detection and then slam down their tail at the most quiet and peaceful misty morning moment.

Last time I was drifting across the open lake near the big island home something BIG nailed my silver fox and before I knew it I was hanging onto the fishing pole for dear life...in another second my line snapped. Sure didn't feel like a smallmouth even a big one. Wonder what that was?

Usually stay in Bangor or at Sunset Lodge on Green Lake but always seem to end up across the road on the upper end of Graham lake.

The 'skeeters' must be unionized as they appear like clockwork at sunset. Impressive swarms encourage a system for quickly loading the canoe and hauling butt.

How is the mid April season for trout on the west branch near the lake?
Had a a nice visit from the warden up on rt 9 a couple of Aprils ago, he was real curious why I had replacement license so early in the season. He was full of useful info on the local brookie fishing.

How fortunate you are to be in such a nice place!
Any talk of the dam being removed?

J

Old 12-12-2008, 12:49 PM

11 posts, read 56,792 times
Default fishing!

They say there is landlocked salmon in the lake, though I haven’t had the fortune of finding any.
Hope there isn’t any talk about removing the dam. What a mess that would be. They still generate power off the lake.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkzs View Post
They say there is landlocked salmon in the lake, though I haven’t had the fortune of finding any.
Hope there isn’t any talk about removing the dam. What a mess that would be. They still generate power off the lake.
No worries about the dam. There has been talk about rerouting traffic on a new road out to Rte 1A because the road over the dam is now one way. PPL has invested millions in the dam they aren't going to abandon it.

I've never caught any salmon but that doesn't mean there aren't any. We're kind of lazy fishermen. Our motto is "bad day of fish'n still beats a good day at work "

Old 12-14-2008, 09:18 AM

5 posts, read 20,483 times
Default Warm in Florida

Wow, that sounds cold. In a strange and warped kind of way, we miss the cold weather. There is nothing nicer than the landscape after a snow or ice storm. We miss walking during a snow storm. Everyone in ME reminds us of the weather. My parents visit their camp on the Union River "the willy wags" and the weather in that area is so much different than central ME. We are warm as ever in north FL. We have had some light frost in the mornings but I never have to fight with frozen locks or scrape ice. Two days ago it was 81 degrees. I broke a sweat hanging the lights on the house, what is wrong with that?
We enjoy reading about the area that we plan to retire to someday. Only getting up north in the summer will change soon as I will retire in July from the Military. Hopefully we will get to see some of that snow and ice we only read about.
Have a nice Holiday, stay warm.

Old 12-16-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedubbers View Post
Have a nice Holiday, stay warm.
No fear of that today. It is 50 degrees in downtown Ellsworth as I write. The gravel road is soft just like in late March. We never turned the heat on last night and had the bedroom window wide open all night. Up to 5 inches of snow is predicted for tomorrow, though and then more over the weekend. It sure has been an odd month.

If it weren't for the price of oil I'd never complain about cold weather. I love it. It makes me feel alive and invigorated. The one Maine month I could do without would be April. It's not warm, the ground can't be worked, it often snows and we sit miserably waiting for summer since we have no spring.

Happy holidays to you, too.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:06 PM

Happy Holidays from Graham Lake. This is me and Archie in the annual parade LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Graham Lake Ellsworth Maine-ms-carlisle.jpg  

Old 12-19-2008, 12:14 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,542,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American girl View Post

Happy Holidays from Graham Lake. This is me and Archie in the annual parade LOL
I've loved your stories in this thread. It's wonderful to put a face to the character. Thank you for sharing your stories and your photo! Hi Archie!

Old 12-19-2008, 12:16 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I've loved your stories in this thread. It's wonderful to put a face to the character. Thank you for sharing your stories and your photo! Hi Archie!
I second that, it's nice to see your smiling face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine