U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 09:54 AM

11 posts, read 80,846 times

Advertisements

Sounds wonderful. It must be very quiet and peaceful there right now! I'm more anxious than ever to get up there. (we live in VA)
I don't see many cottages/camps renting on Graham Lake during the summer? It seems like it would be great rental income potential, but I haven't seem much advertised for Graham Lake. We were considering in future summers renting the place out for a few weeks.

Old 02-24-2007, 07:48 AM

573 posts, read 1,013,342 times
The house that I bought was owned by folks from Massachusetts and they rented it most of the summer. They had it listed with one of the area rental management agencies and I believe they were getting about $700/week six years ago. You shouldn't have much trouble renting if you are not way, way off the beaten track. Graham Lake is centrally located for day trips to Bar Harbor/Acadia National Park, Camden, Blue Hill, Bangor and Downeast. Hotel prices are out of sight on Mount Desert Island and many visitors are looking for affordable alternatives. Good Luck. I have lots of family in VA and some were here for a visit just this month. The wind howled across the lake last night and I mean howled! Very cold. Not so bad today. Am planning a snow shoe outing around the islands with the dog after work.

Old 03-01-2007, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 8,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainelover View Post
Sounds wonderful. It must be very quiet and peaceful there right now! I'm more anxious than ever to get up there. (we live in VA)
I don't see many cottages/camps renting on Graham Lake during the summer? It seems like it would be great rental income potential, but I haven't seem much advertised for Graham Lake. We were considering in future summers renting the place out for a few weeks.

Our Family has been going up to the lake since the 40's. My Uncle found the lake on accident while on a business trip. He brought his family up and for many many years. My husband and I actually spent our honeymoon on the lake back in 1977. At that time we stayed at Twin Pine cabins over in Fletcher's Landing. Summer visits were made by the family up until the late
80's warly 90's. Recently (within the last couple years we have returned).

Graham is a nice lake. Can be dangerous at times due to water levels, but a very enjoyable lake. During the few years we hadn't visited we missed the trips dearly. My oldest daughter now wants to introduce the lake to her children and start a whole new generation of Graham Lake lovers.

Old 03-01-2007, 03:59 PM

11 posts, read 51,993 times
This is all great information on the lake thanks everyone. My family and I currently live in Northern VA and are looking forward to starting our family trips to the lake. Sounds like the building of a comunity of people that will enjoy and protect the lake. Two very important things with all the development that is happening around the lake.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:54 AM

3 posts, read 28,049 times
Default Graham Lake

So good to hear so many positive comments from Graham Lakers. I too am from northern VA and spend just about my whole summer at our camp. where is the other family from NOVA from. We live in Herndon and in Mariaville in ME. We surprised our kids this year by taking them out of school early and took them to Disney World. They asked us if we could go to the lake (Graham) instead! The three years we have spent there have been priceless. We're bringing a pontoon boat up this year. Maybe we should start our own boating/ social club. 10+ boaters on the lake sounds like a start.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:48 AM

11 posts, read 80,846 times
Seems like there are a lot of VA people on Graham Lake! We happen to be from the Richmond area, Midlothian VA. I grew up in NJ and my family had a summer camp in Poland Spring ME for years, and I always wanted to get back to Maine. Our cottage is actually in Ellsworth on the lake on a dirt road off of 180. It will be our first summer up there and are looking forward to it. We're thinking about putting at least a swimming float out ....knowing the level changes...does anyone else have a float?
See you Virginians on the lake!!

Old 03-26-2007, 06:39 AM

5 posts, read 58,682 times
Talking Can't wait to go back to Graham!

Hi everybody, it was so nice to read all the wonderful things about Graham Lake. We purchased the property last August and we are coming up to do some finshing touches in our cabin, in a few weeks. We just absolutley love it there and yes it is soooo peaceful and beautiful. It's nice ot hear about the swimming, I am not very keen on swimming in lakes but sounds like I will be trying it this summer! Does anyone know if there is a map of the lake with depths? We just bought a small motor boat and want to take it out but heard that there are some shallow water's. Although the mean depth is 17' with the deepest 50'. We are hopefully going to put out a long dock this year too. Can you waterski on the lake?
Are there any loons on the lake? I heard that there are eagles too, where are they? We are in Mariaville.
Yes, I heard that people like to rent on Graham lake because of the fishing and the proximity to Bar Harbor. Once our place is finished we may rent it out too. We are from NJ.

Thanks for all the positive feedback!!
Enjoy the lake!!

Old 03-27-2007, 05:57 AM

9 posts, read 37,401 times
Default Graham Lake in Ellsworth Response

Graham Lake is a part of a dam system that generates electricity. The water level is raised or lowered according to the wishes/dictates of the owners of the facility.

If you will contact Steve Gunty, the City Manager of Ellsworth, his office can give you particulars regarding that facility, and what the town is doing in this respect.
The telephone number for the City of Ellsworth is:
207-667-2563
The website for the city is: http://www.cityofellsworthme.org

There are many lakes in the Ellsworth area; you may wish to contact The College of the Atlantic, in Bar Harbor for a comprehensive understanding of the watersheds in the area. Their website is: http://www.coa.edu

Old 03-27-2007, 09:38 AM

68 posts, read 167,456 times
The wife and I purchased a 1.4 acre lot on the Northern end of the lake (Mariaville) about 7 years ago and now have a camp with well, septic and electricity. We recently purchased a 6 acre lot about ¼ mile up the lake as an investment. To say it is a quiet area would be an understatement. Though the lake has become more populated in recent years, there have been times when several days would go by without seeing another person. The bass fishing is very good and my kids have pulled some rather large ones from right in front of the camp. We also have a pair of Bald Eagles we see from time to time, and yes, there are many Loons on the lake. You can hear them from miles away at night.
As stated in other posts, the lake is not considered “Prime” waterfront, but then it all comes down for what you are looking for. The prices are right too. We live only 3 hours away, in the southern part of Maine. A piece of waterfront like the one our camp is on would have cost 15 times more money, and it would have been on a conjested lake. Myself, I’ll keep the solitude

Old 03-30-2007, 06:16 AM

5 posts, read 58,682 times
Thanks for the info. I just love the sounds of the loons, I can't wait to hear them!! Are there other good fish in the lake too besides Bass that are fun to catch? I have heard that graham is know for their Bass....Myself and my kids are looking forward to fishing. Does anyone know when the fish start biting again? We are coming up over Easter and thought of casting a line out, but not sure if the water is still frozen or not...
I appreciate your responses!!

Take care-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or