U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 09:53 AM

68 posts, read 167,329 times

Advertisements

We have owned property on the lake for about 7 years now. We have seen the lake when it was high and when it was low but they do not lower the lake in mid August as a standard practice. The last few years it has been running towards the high side, which is nice.
The previous post stated that they start lowering the lake after Labor day and continue to lower it through the winter. Myself, I've always noticed that the level was on the high side by the time the ice came in. Maybe I'm wrong but that has been my perspective.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:29 PM

10 posts, read 43,749 times
Does anyone know why I can't open posts when I double click on them. Every one I double click on brings me to Rico's original message. The only reason I could read American Girl's post today is because the message board program emailed it to me and from there I can read it.

Does anyone mind emailing me the most recent post today done by crb01. If you could copy and paste the text that would be great. My email is DSAMWORTH@BELLSOUTH.NET

Old 07-20-2007, 10:52 AM

573 posts, read 1,012,339 times
Drawing Graham Lake down even six inches can expose hundreds of feet of lake bottom, depending on location. My lakefront is quite shallow for a long way out. Sometimes by late fall I can walk to the island just off my shore. PPL draws less from the resevoir in the fall but still, I believe draws it down so that winter rains and snows and then snow melt don't cause flooding. You can read several good pieces about Graham Lake at ellsworthamerican.com. You have to register to search the archives but it's free to do so. PPL will have to renew its license in a few years and at that time lake residents can petition FERC to increase the lowest levels allowed so that PPL would not be able to drain as much water from resevoir.

Old 07-22-2007, 05:30 PM

16 posts, read 52,074 times
I've got a place on Hardwood Hill Island on Graham Lake. There's been a rumor circulating that they are going to drain the lake soon to work on the cracked dam. I know they worked on it last year but I think it was just patching. (They "lowered" the lake then.) Has anyone heard this and ,if so,
do you have any factual info on this? I couldn't find any articles on this in the Ellsworth American as I had trouble signing in.

Old 07-22-2007, 11:57 PM

4 posts, read 15,842 times
I've so enjoyed everyone's posts, so informative about the lake. I'm so glad I stumbled onto this forum. I'm looking for property to buy now and hold onto until retirement! We still have 18 years till my husband retires.... so perhaps if there is money we can start building before then so we can enjoy our summer cottage before AND after retirement. We live in Colorado, so I"m doing all my searching online. I just came across Graham Lake today and it sounds to be exactly what we want. The water level worries me a bit.... no way of knowing if the same company will own it or not and what levels will be like in 18 years!!! We are coming to Maine for our every-other-summer visit this August. Looks like we'll be stopping by Graham Lake. I'm sure I'll get mixed answers on this (that's good!), but my question to you all who live there is, which is the best 'side' of the lake, or town to live in?

Old 07-24-2007, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 4,765 times
Default Graham Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehimom View Post
I've so enjoyed everyone's posts, so informative about the lake. I'm so glad I stumbled onto this forum. I'm looking for property to buy now and hold onto until retirement! We still have 18 years till my husband retires.... so perhaps if there is money we can start building before then so we can enjoy our summer cottage before AND after retirement. We live in Colorado, so I"m doing all my searching online. I just came across Graham Lake today and it sounds to be exactly what we want. The water level worries me a bit.... no way of knowing if the same company will own it or not and what levels will be like in 18 years!!! We are coming to Maine for our every-other-summer visit this August. Looks like we'll be stopping by Graham Lake. I'm sure I'll get mixed answers on this (that's good!), but my question to you all who live there is, which is the best 'side' of the lake, or town to live in?
Hello MileHi,
One piece of info you may not be aware of is that if you purchase property directly on the lake, by law, you must show improvement to the property,(clear and/or build), within 5 years of purchase. Also,for the record, this lake is not the best place for power boats or sail boats and swimming is limited. It's a man made lake full of underwater tree stumps and boulders. Fishing is great but beware of the hidden obstacles under water.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:48 PM

68 posts, read 167,329 times
".....you must show improvement to the property,(clear and/or build), within 5 years of purchase. Also,for the record,......"

I have reviewed the Mariaville code books several times and have never seen this written. Maybe I missed. Where would I find this statement ?

Thanks.

Old 07-24-2007, 03:23 PM

11 posts, read 51,966 times
If you map the areas you will be boating, with the size of this lake it's easy to avoid most of the obstacles. Where we purchased there is no such code. The only restriction is once you start to build you must complete within a year. (waltham side)

Old 07-26-2007, 12:03 PM

16 posts, read 52,074 times
There are plenty of places to swim on the lake. We swim right off our shore although the silt makes the bottom a little mucky. However, there are a number of sandy beach areas around the lake that we sometimes boat to.
We always take our boat around the lake, and once you're familiar, you know the channels to take without hitting obstacles. A friend of ours also puts out markers on the Waltham side to navigate the area where there are stumps.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:02 PM

573 posts, read 1,012,339 times
Default Swimming and stumps

We've been boating on the lake for 4 years and have never hit anything. But we just putt putt around in our pontoon boat, trolling for bass, exploring the islands. We like the fact that there are hidden stumps and rocks - keeps the speed demons away. An acquaintance recently ripped the propeller off his new big fancy motor, racing down the lake, making noise. Not any more! We have a depth finder on our boat and that let's us know when we're in really shallow water. We swim from our beach, a little bit of silt when the lake drops but not bad. I've been swimming in Hancock County all my life and very few lakes and ponds are all sand. Georges Pond, Patten Pond, Toddy Pond all have mucky bottoms in places. And yes, we too boat to the sandy beaches on Graham for swimming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or