Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2007, 08:26 PM

16 posts, read 58,027 times

Advertisements

Hi DmYankee,
Just wanted to say the moose calling gadget tip is a trip. So far, I've only seen prints on my beach, but maybe now I'll be there when they come by and finally get a good Pic ! Thanks!

Old 10-07-2007, 08:43 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,484 times
Wink moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Girl View Post
Hi DmYankee,
Just wanted to say the moose calling gadget tip is a trip. So far, I've only seen prints on my beach, but maybe now I'll be there when they come by and finally get a good Pic ! Thanks!
My neighbor called in a 850lb. bull up near Witipitlock last week during the hunt.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,938 times
Default Graham Laked property

Hi All
We too are looking at lots on Graham Lake. It is in Oxbow Point and most likely the area that was discussed on this blog. Price is right. The lots are 3 and 4 acre's in size but my concern is wet lands. We walked the lots last Saturday (Oct 27) in the rain and found many area's that were wet. I doubt if it was from the rain. Does anyone know how to get information on the areas that are wet and what if anything can be done about it. Don't really trust the real estate agent. I did ask if the lake is used for electric power and was told NO! He said they just lower the lake in the fall to prevent flooding from the snow melt.
We have been searching for lake front property for over a year and this area works for us. Its close to a large town and not far from Bangor and yet is isolated. Not that we don't like people but coming from NJ we have had enough of noise!
We are planing on building our retirement home there next year if everything works out.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:07 PM

10 posts, read 48,958 times
Smile Oxbow Point lots

The inspector,

The lots on the north east side of the point ARE WETLANDS. Don't let them fool you. I had an accepted offer on lot 6 and figured I'd get the State DEP rep. out there to make sure I could build on it 100' from the water. He told me that because there's a lot of wetlands, I couldn't build unless I wanted to build about 100 yards back from the water. A football field back is too far for me. Even then, you're not allowed to walk through you're own wetlands to go to the shoreline.

In my opnion the only good lot there is lot 10. The seller had it listed for 136.5K. I bought lot 9 a few months ago. They both have wells and septic installed.

We are retiring in May '08 and building a modular on lot 9.

Feel free to give me a call if you'd like.
Dave: 251-441-5124 work
" 626-6392 home

Old 11-05-2007, 12:56 PM

642 posts, read 1,255,397 times
There is plenty of documentation that Graham Lake is a reservoir owned by PPL Maine. Surely your realtor is familiar with the local newspaper. The link below will interest you. PPL draws down the lake when it wants to generate electricity. You can also check out pplmaine.com. It's a shame that Graham Lake is misrepresented. As I'm sure you've read in these previous posts Graham Lake has so much to offer. What it doesn't offer is stable water levels, deep water boating and sandy bottoms for swimming except in a few areas. As to wetlands I have no information for you. Some of the acreage around the lake is low, wet and spongy. My piece is half and half.

Just took my dock in yesterday (yes, I know it's late). It was half out of the water before Saturday's terrific rain storm and Sunday morning it was completely covered with water.

The Ellsworth American - Weather Delays Dam Work (http://ellsworthmaine.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3131&Ite mid=1 - broken link)

Old 11-05-2007, 05:48 PM

86 posts, read 484,095 times
I have one thing to say about Graham lake......... What a big family it has! haha I started this thread asking a few questions while looking at a piece of land. WOW has it grown!
I think that is one reason why I wouldn't mind living on the lake, regardless of water levels. While I was looking at the piece of property, the neighbor invited my son and I over just to say hi. Very friendly and informative.
Even though I ended up buying on another lake, I still check back with this thread often.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:57 PM

13 posts, read 50,223 times
Default Ice Fishing

Last winter was our first winter on Graham lake, we went ice fishing one time and caught 2 nice small mouth bass and 1 pickrel. (in Mariaville) we were out there for only a few hours. Not bad for our first time fishing on graham lake!

Old 11-19-2007, 08:09 AM

16 posts, read 58,027 times
Is the lake frozen over too much right now to get over to our Island this weekend by boat ? We had hoped to go over Thanksgiving weekend to finish a couple of projects before there's too much ice. Last weekend, our "neighbors" had to chop their boat out to get to the mainland. I have a call into a friend who lives on the mainland, but just curious if anyone knows status of lake by Hardwood Hill. Thanks!

Old 11-20-2007, 06:16 AM

Default Ice so soon?

The Lake has no ice yet. At least not on the Ellsworth end. It's been pretty warm here until just this weekend. I still have parsley and mint growing in my herb bed. I was surprised to know there was ice on the other end of the lake. Guess I can't advise.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:52 AM

Default Graham Lake Christmas

Graham Lake is a winter wonderland this December. Lots of early snow has frosted the trees around the lake and on the heath. It reminds me of the boiled frosting my mother made when we were children. On overcast days looking out over the lake and the islands is like looking at a black and white photograph. Snowshoeing around the shore is a breathtakingly beautiful activity, particularly at sunset. The dog stops at every deer, rabbit and bird track to determine how long ago the interloper visited his territory. It is blessedly quiet and serene. Rain is predicted for Sunday afternoon and the dog and I have our fingers crossed hoping NOAA is wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine