U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 07:23 AM

468 posts, read 611,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I just learned something- squaw means *****???

first time i've heard that- thought it meat indian woman

Looked it up on websters dictionary, doesnt mention *****
The way I figure it, this new meaning probably was really more or less the true, old meaning, but somehow something got lost in the translation(s) of the past, much as the 19th century turned cockerel into rooster, etc., people didn't want to be crude.

Nowadays, we seem to leave nothing unsaid.

With this in mind, I can accommodate the name change. It's just that it bothers me that it takes the heavy hand of the legislature to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 06:19 PM

90 posts, read 133,373 times
I only have 1/8 "Native" in me so I really dont have much of a dog in the fight. Stick and stones.....I say leave them be. I always thought it ment indian woman. Personnaly I don't know anyone who looks down on Indians, infact its just the opposit. If the world blinked and everyone suddenly needed to surive like they use to the population would drop by about 90% in 3 months I bet.

To me the world is going to PC on us. This overbearing Political Correctness just gives renewed power to words that everyone knows are disrespectfull and make you seem ignorant for using them. 10 years ago when I was in high school you would get 3 days of detention for busting a kid in the nose. If that same kid called him a Homosexual or a N..... or bring a *gasp* pocket knife to school it was VERY hard to avoid expultion. Now neather of these this I would call good but seriously this never made sense to me.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:57 AM

29,723 posts, read 47,495,927 times
If these place names truly are seen as an insult; then fine change them.

I suspect that it is being done as a feel good legislation. That nobody is truly insulted; but with this politicians can pat themselves on the back, exchange hand-shakes at pow-wows and tell everyone how great they are.

Granted I may simply be ignorant and living in my own world. I mean no insult.

Old 09-14-2011, 09:24 AM

15,082 posts, read 19,724,141 times
On the one hand, I have a hard time getting worked up about placenames like this. But then, I'm only a teensy bit Native American and have never experienced any discrimination because of it.

On the other hand, if people out there are offended by them, what's the big deal bout changing it? Fine by me. And if you think, "Well, people are just too sensitive," look at it like this: What if they proposed changing some of those names to Mount Redneck, Crackerville, White Trash Hollow, or naming a sports team the Toothless Hillbilies? Would you still think it was no big deal?

Old 09-14-2011, 06:03 PM

90 posts, read 133,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Mount Redneck, Crackerville, White Trash Hollow, or naming a sports team the Toothless Hillbilies?

Hey I resemble that remark

Seriously though, do Native Americans in Maine feel discriminated against[SIZE=2]? Is it just a localized phenomenon? Or am I way out of touch?
[/SIZE]

Old 09-14-2011, 07:06 PM

15,082 posts, read 19,724,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfish57 View Post
do Native Americans in Maine feel discriminated against[SIZE=2]? Is it just a localized phenomenon? [/SIZE]
No. It's been an issue across the country for years now.

Old 09-15-2011, 07:17 AM

5,969 posts, read 11,134,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfish57 View Post
Hey I resemble that remark

Seriously though, do Native Americans in Maine feel discriminated against? Is it just a localized phenomenon? Or am I way out of touch?
Is there any one particular race, sex, etc? that isn't discriminated against?

Old 09-15-2011, 05:19 PM

12,084 posts, read 33,141,404 times
Mount Redneck: Sounds like a nice place to hike and camp.
Crackerville: As long as i had some peanut butter, it sounds like a decent place to live.
White Trash Hollow: Perfect place to buy from the local farmers market.
or naming a sports team the Toothless Hillbilies? Woo-Hoo finally a team I can root for!

Old 09-20-2011, 06:51 PM

16,455 posts, read 21,473,314 times
I always thought the best name for a place in Maine, is Misery Gore...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or