U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 07:35 AM

616 posts, read 631,971 times

Advertisements

I've been reading a piece in the BDN and the comments posted there concerning the renaming of certain geographical entities that contained names that were disrespectful to native peoples. This was in conjunction with legislative action (law). It's seems many people who are replying do dislike Indian people immensely for some reason, or another. It is really sad. This comment is not directed to any of my friends here or even the posters on the BDN. It is an observation. Last time I resided in Maine for any length of time was the 1970's supposedly a less enlightened time in our history. I never witnessed any disrespect towards my grandparents. Most of the negative comments portray Indian people as lazy with their hands out all the time whining. I can assure you my Grandparents never took a thing from anyone, they gave. My grandfather left a lung in France as a result of exposure to gas (and wasn't considered a US citizen at the timeuntil Indian Citizenship Act of 1924 ) and suffered the rest of his life while working every day. My Grandmother raised 6 kids in the depression all of who became responsible, productive members of society. All I can say is the comments are shocking,disheartening and bring me great sadness. I will pray for these people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 08:00 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,613,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiluver View Post
I've been reading a piece in the BDN and the comments posted there concerning the renaming of certain geographical entities that contained names that were disrespectful to native peoples. This was in conjunction with legislative action (law). It's seems many people who are replying do dislike Indian people immensely for some reason, or another. It is really sad. This comment is not directed to any of my friends here or even the posters on the BDN. It is an observation. Last time I resided in Maine for any length of time was the 1970's supposedly a less enlightened time in our history. I never witnessed any disrespect towards my grandparents. Most of the negative comments portray Indian people as lazy with their hands out all the time whining. I can assure you my Grandparents never took a thing from anyone, they gave. My grandfather left a lung in France as a result of exposure to gas (and wasn't considered a US citizen at the timeuntil Indian Citizenship Act of 1924 ) and suffered the rest of his life while working every day. My Grandmother raised 6 kids in the depression all of who became responsible, productive members of society. All I can say is the comments are shocking,disheartening and bring me great sadness. I will pray for these people.
Discussions like this go nowhere here (moderator). It might be best to post on the Bangor Daily News website.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Discussions like this go nowhere here (moderator). It might be best to post on the Bangor Daily News website.
I did. Perhaps we should remove all the posts about interracial couples, children, blacks wanting to move to Maine, Gay couples and the like as well? I have seen some very well constructed discussions on these topics here over time. Difficult, yes but insightful. My post violates none of the tenants contained in the CD missives. Yes it is an uncomfortable topic. Is it because it is about Indians and attitudes about them in present day Maine? Is it because you have some attachment to the use of derogatory names towards Native American women and think that it is permissible to utilize such names? What is the logic behind your comment? Help me understand? I am not upset, and enjoy reading your comments on here and feel you are a valid contributor to our community. Please explain why this should not be discussed here?

Old 09-06-2011, 08:31 AM

PS: I have on numerous occasions witnessed many threads that reference articles in the BDN's contained herein.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:34 PM

17,181 posts, read 22,210,802 times
Quote:
there are pockets of ignorance everywhere, keep in mind, the anonymous "comments" can be by faceless, teenagers trying to be ignorant comedians, just trying to get a rise out of folks i see it on youtube all the time-much less on facebook (because most have their picture (identity) right there

I remember a couple businesses I work with had write-ups in the bdn, and in the comments, the business got ripped to shreds- baseless accusations, ect.
thats the downfall of the internet- anonymous posters/commenters can write whatever they want

I havent seen blatent bias's against the natives- I have some native indian blood in my veins- I always looked at it as a badge of courage- not as a minority

squaw mountain???? yes i think it's ridiculous to change the name- but thats just me-same with washington redskins

Most folks I know think of indians,,,,like the ones on the movie dancing with wolves, or last of the dogmen movies

towns, lakes, rivers in maine, many have native american names- some are pretty hard to pronounce.

I respect the Indians- I often wonder how they got thru the winter centuries ago, very resilient, resourceful, and brave peoples

Old 09-06-2011, 05:37 PM

I did not make my original post to engage in a debate, if it appears a such perhaps it is my poor communication via the written word. When I become passionate about things such as my ancestry, my emotions may be engaged and I may not write succinctly, although I have re-read it and cannot for the life of me see where I have violated the rules of CD. It was merely an observation based on my perceptions of what was stated elsewhere. I have oftentimes witnessed diatribes on this forum based on events, articles, and opinions even the Governor of the state of Maine that began elsewhere and see no one calling foul. All were carried here for our examination. I was not aware this was viewed as a transgression as long as it pertained to Maine, of which this subject did. I expressed sadness over others mindset and additionally wished them well. As for political discussion, I neither mentioned nor implied politics with the exception of the Maine legislators (politicians) making law the renaming of these places, and the Indian Citizen Act of 1924 (again politicians), and these only in the context of discussion. Thank you for your insight. Because I do not prescribe to you logic does not mean I missed have missed any point.Jn my way of thinking it means I do not have the same view as you and that is not a bad thing on either of our behalf's. I will make no further comment on this topic unless requested to. Again, no disrespect to you. I have always enjoyed your slant on things here. I harbor no ill feelings and wish you wellness. We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:59 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,151,445 times
Quote:

Perhaps if you posted a link to the actual article?

Old 09-06-2011, 08:20 PM

1,808 posts, read 2,894,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
there are pockets of ignorance everywhere, keep in mind, the anonymous "comments" can be by faceless, teenagers trying to be ignorant comedians, just trying to get a rise out of folks
I believe that's why Kiwiluver may have wanted to segue that BDN article to a discussion over here where only the smartest Mainers contribute. I'd like to read it now. The link is a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I respect the Indians- I often wonder how they got thru the winter centuries ago, very resilient, resourceful, and brave peoples.
A big +1 and a respect for them too....I personally have a hard time just taking the trash out regularly or emptying the dishwasher.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:25 PM

Six Aroostook County locations renamed to remove racial slurs — Maine News — Bangor Daily News

Old 09-07-2011, 04:56 AM

17,181 posts, read 22,210,802 times

I just learned something- squaw means *****???

first time i've heard that- thought it meat indian woman

Looked it up on websters dictionary, doesnt mention *****
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or