Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 08:07 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

Clearly not a native Mainer [rather a retiree who migrated to Maine]

We like the calm lifestyle, and the friendliness.

My pickup truck radiator blew a month ago, as we were parked on the shoulder waiting for it to cool. One car passed by and did not stop [out of state plates], but while we were there a total of eleven vehicles passed us, and ten of them did stop. One guy even offered to swap out my radiator for a spare that he keeps in his barn. You just do not get much more friendly then Mainers.

Push a quarter of your vehicle into a snow bank, and see how many people will stop to pull you out. [nearly everyone will stop to offer help] Even elderly blue-haired ladies will stop and offer. "Honey, I keep a tow strap in my trunk. If you can hook it up, I will pull you right out of that snow bank" People in Maine are friendly.

Except for those one or two dog-thieves [who must be from away].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 08:44 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,168 times
Although I love Maine, am from here and have retired here, I think it's important to keep in mind that most people are good everywhere. Just as an example, when I was living in Georgia a few years ago, my timing belt failed and my car died on I-95. There were at least 50 cars that stopped to see if they could help. One person let me take their car to the next exit to make a phone call (no cell phone coverage at that location). Another took my wife and daughter to the next exit so they could get out of the hot sun (over 95 degrees). A very kind state trooper brought me water (it's against the law to leave your vehicle there) and eventually allowed me to leave the vehicle, gave me a ride, so I could wait with my family (five hours for a tow truck).

Why I'm saying this is because many people from away come to Maine expecting us to be different. We aren't. Maine has the problems everyone else (e.g. drugs/crime) and has a hard winter on top of it. Our population is small and we have lots of room, so we don't tend to get on each other's nerves as much as other places. We also have a tradition for independence and a live and let live attitude. So, if you fit and don't try to make Maine like wherever you escaped from, it's a wonderful place to live.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:54 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,950 times
The original post on retirement forum was a fun way of poking fun at oneself and one's environment.

Everybody's environment has difficult things or funny ways of saying things, etc. that can be used to make a joke. We know we are relaxed when we can laugh at ourselves and our foibles.

It was just a fun thing, not a serious explanation of why someone would or would not want to retire in Maine or Sanfrancisco or Minnesota.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:02 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
Sorry folks, we're doing it wrong.

You can retire to Maine, where...you can make fun of those from away and still get invited to the BBQ.

Technically, there should only be 3 periods after "where". The 4th means the end of the sentence, I believe.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:41 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,391,174 times
You can retire to Maine, where...they invented the words "rain date".

You can retire to Maine, where...going to the dump is a major event.

You can retire to Maine, where...motorcycles spend almost half the year in your garage.

You can retire to Maine, where...in the dead of winter, you think about where you're going to put your imaginary medal for surviving the dead of winter.

You can retire to Maine, where...having only two jobs is condsidered laziness.

You can retire to Maine, where...having only one type of shovel is sad.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Sorry folks, we're doing it wrong.

You can retire to Maine, where...you can make fun of those from away and still get invited to the BBQ.

Technically, there should only be 3 periods after "where". The 4th means the end of the sentence, I believe.
Now that's funny! Especially from a guy who is "from away" himself.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:04 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,887,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
Really? Crap! I thought I was born here. WHere did I put that birth certificate?

Old 09-08-2011, 07:20 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
Quote:
Really? Crap! I thought I was born here. WHere did I put that birth certificate?
Tin!!! All this time I thought you were a native!

Old 09-08-2011, 07:47 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
BAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! ohhhh..... geez, that was funny!!!

Wait. You're serious?

Last edited by mollysmiles; 09-08-2011 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: holy cow.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
My FIL has dementia(not suggesting that you have dementia, of course). After sitting in the doctors office for an hour, he asked for the 30th time why he was there. My wife said for the 30th time, its for your diabetes. he said, "I have diabetes? When did I get diabetes?" He's had diabetes for 30 years of the last 92.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine