Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 06:08 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,317 times

Advertisements

On the retirement forum, Curmudgeon posted a whole bunch of these for difference places:

You can retire to Phoenix, Arizona where...
1. You are willing to park 3 blocks away because you found shade.
2. You've experienced condensation on your hiney from the hot water in the toilet bowl.
3. You can drive for 4 hours in one direction and never leave town.
4. You have over 100 recipes for Mexican food.
5. You know that "dry heat" is comparable to what hits you in the face when you open your oven door.
6. The 4 seasons are: tolerable, hot, really hot, and ARE YOU KIDDING ME??!!

There isn't one for Maine. I could almost do it for Bar Harbor, but there is a lot about Bar Harbor or MDI which isn't Maine since there are so many rfetired move-ins there.

I wonder if, IN GOOD FUN, you native Maniacs could compile one for: You can retire in Maine, where....

etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 06:35 PM

157 posts, read 327,718 times
This should be fun - what a creative and valuable thread to us awayers possibly planning retirment in Main.

Old 09-06-2011, 07:10 PM

164 posts, read 240,596 times
Hmmm.. this does sound like fun...

you can retire to Maine, where...

1) The seasons are almost winter, winter, I'm freezing my butt off, and almost done with winter

2) If you're driving and seem lost, and pull over to look at a map, some kind soul will pull over to help you with directions ( this really happened to me!)

3)There is a beautiful , balanced mix of concern for one's neighbors, with respect for privacy and a "live and let live" attitude.

4) There is always a bean suppah going on at some church somewhere

5) Weekend fun can include seeing how many yard sales you can go to in 1 day.

6)You can find a whoopie pie in any convenience/ grocery/bakery/gas station pharmacy in which you happen to stop.

7) they have the most uniquely red hot dogs you'll every see.

8)There is more coastline than in any other state.

9) You'll consider yourself lucky to have found your way here

Old 09-07-2011, 04:09 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
where.....
upon approaching a rotary, you start hyperventilating, then pull over to the right to try to read the signs better, thus, causing 2 other cars to hit each other,.....then, while motoring away , the wife looks at the husband (driving) and says " I told you these rotaries were dangerous"!!!

Old 09-07-2011, 04:27 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,886,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
where.....
upon approaching a rotary, you start hyperventilating, then pull over to the right to try to read the signs better, thus, causing 2 other cars to hit each other,.....then, while motoring away , the wife looks at the husband (driving) and says " I told you these rotaries were dangerous"!!!
Augusta rotary: close your eyes, hit the gas, pray for the best. At least the barber shop's not in the way anymore.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:05 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,706 times
You can retire to Maine if you aren't constantly telling people how much better they could do things here - like where you used to live.

You can retire to Maine - if you learn how to "spell" Maine

Old 09-07-2011, 05:14 AM

you can retire to Maine, where: life is calmer.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:09 AM

119 posts, read 263,523 times
I know this is going to be an un-popular, non-answer.

As a native Mainer I just don't consider anywhere in Maine (or anywhere in the north for that matter) as a retirement destination. My retirement does not include 5-6 months of shoveling snow, plowing snow, or slipping on the ice and breaking my azz.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxed in Maine View Post
I know this is going to be an un-popular, non-answer.

As a native Mainer I just don't consider anywhere in Maine (or anywhere in the north for that matter) as a retirement destination. My retirement does not include 5-6 months of shoveling snow, plowing snow, or slipping on the ice and breaking my azz.
So when do you retire?

Old 09-07-2011, 07:13 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
You can retire to Maine - if you learn how to "spell" Maine
WHAT -- we can't retire to Maine until we learn how to spell???

Sheesh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine