U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2011, 12:48 PM

4 posts, read 17,516 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move from Southern California to Maine in the upcoming year. I need advice as to where I should settle my family. It would be me and my three daughters ages 11-15. I work in the medical field and I've heard there are ample jobs to be had working in medicine throughout Maine. I would prefer not to live to far north. I want to be close to either the beach or some place we could go skiing. I would be willing to commute for up to 1.15 hours. I want a community feel and good schools along with outdoor opportunity (skiing, hiking, lakes, etc). I would also be keeping my home in California, so my price range is 150k. What areas would you recommend?
I am going to be visiting in mid-October so I want to know what areas I should go check out while I'm there for the weekend.
Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 01:05 PM

3,094 posts, read 5,422,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breadgetbun View Post
I am looking to move from Southern California to Maine in the upcoming year. I need advice as to where I should settle my family. It would be me and my three daughters ages 11-15. I work in the medical field and I've heard there are ample jobs to be had working in medicine throughout Maine. I would prefer not to live to far north. I want to be close to either the beach or some place we could go skiing. I would be willing to commute for up to 1.15 hours. I want a community feel and good schools along with outdoor opportunity (skiing, hiking, lakes, etc). I would also be keeping my home in California, so my price range is 150k. What areas would you recommend?
I am going to be visiting in mid-October so I want to know what areas I should go check out while I'm there for the weekend.
Around Portland, but north and west of it.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:44 PM

6,940 posts, read 7,658,930 times
Coming from Kalifornia, I'd say just about any place in Maine would be an improvement!

Old 09-08-2011, 02:25 PM

2,356 posts, read 4,936,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breadgetbun View Post
I will start with your desire for a town with community feel... and the fact you are coming here with 3 children..

Maine is overall very loosly populated, old, and poor.. there are not many towns that have town centers/villages with neighborhoods, lots of kids, and excellent schools.. all in one..

So I might be a little bias in this dept but its my opinion ..

So with that said there a few towns and Cities (yes... cities in Maine are smaller then most towns outside of maine) that might work for you..

Yarmouth, Falmouth, Cumberland, Cape Elizabeth, Gorham, Brunswick....

These towns are located outside of Portland Maines largest city (65k) Portland will offer employment opportunites, a jetport, and it is ON the ocean and commutable to the ski mt's..

The southern tip of Maine has some really nice towns with seasonal populations jumps and you would be really close to Portsmith NH.. a fine city much like Portland with employment opps... you would also be closer to Boston..

My suggestion is to study the maps and the gepgraphy of Maine and then drive around... If you find your way to Portland you can drive rt 88 north out of portland which will take you along the coast to rt 1 through the communities of Falmouth, Cumberland, and yarmouth... Brunswick is off of rt 1... good luck!

Old 09-08-2011, 04:06 PM

17,159 posts, read 22,167,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
I will start with your desire for a town with community feel... and the fact you are coming here with 3 children..

Maine is overall very loosly populated, old, and poor.. there are not many towns that have town centers/villages with neighborhoods, lots of kids, and excellent schools.. all in one..

So I might be a little bias in this dept but its my opinion ..

So with that said there a few towns and Cities (yes... cities in Maine are smaller then most towns outside of maine) that might work for you..

Yarmouth, Falmouth, Cumberland, Cape Elizabeth, Gorham, Brunswick....

These towns are located outside of Portland Maines largest city (65k) Portland will offer employment opportunites, a jetport, and it is ON the ocean and commutable to the ski mt's..

The southern tip of Maine has some really nice towns with seasonal populations jumps and you would be really close to Portsmith NH.. a fine city much like Portland with employment opps... you would also be closer to Boston..

My suggestion is to study the maps and the gepgraphy of Maine and then drive around... If you find your way to Portland you can drive rt 88 north out of portland which will take you along the coast to rt 1 through the communities of Falmouth, Cumberland, and yarmouth... Brunswick is off of rt 1... good luck!

Excellent tips!!
I'll add one more with google earth, and streetview, you can actually virtually view many maine towns and mainstreets

"city data" has a breakdown of populations, average age, incomes, etc, of various towns

Old 12-31-2011, 05:45 PM

6 posts, read 21,036 times
We lived in Old Orchard Beach, Me for several years...nice small town. It is very close to Southern Maine Medical Center in Biddeford and Maine Medical Center in Portland. Any town along the southern coast of Maine is wonderful, however OOB, Saco, Biddeford, South Portland or Portland are all close to the hospitals and beaches. Cape Elizabeth is also very nice and is close to the beaches and med facilities. The southern tip of Maine as previously mentioned is close to Portsmouth, NH and Hampton Beach, NH. You will also find much more afforable shopping for groceries, liquor, etc. in NH. There is also no sales tax in NH. Good luck!!!

Old 01-01-2012, 09:06 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,851,373 times
Hmmmmm......beach, 150k, Cumberland, Falmouth, Yarmouth Cape...something doesn't add up. lol

Mean housing prices in 2009 for Cape according to CD. Cumberland, Yarmouth, Falmouth are probably similiar prices: All housing units: $481,339; Detached houses: $492,933; Townhouses or other attached units: $328,978; In 2-unit structures: $555,459; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $495,997.

Maine housing is probably cheaper than SC but not 150K cheaper. Maybe Grey or L/A. You sure that 150k figure isn't a typo?

Old 01-03-2012, 04:07 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,855,908 times
Check out realtor.com
You can search by town/city. The properties are listed with the highest priced homes first followed by lower priced homes. Here's a sample:

1688 Acton Ridge Rd - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #1036905 - Realtor.com®

Old 01-05-2012, 12:50 PM

15 posts, read 48,039 times
We want to do almost the direct opposite! We currently live in Maine and want to retire to AZ this year. We live along the Maine coast in the village of Wiscasset, voted 'The Prettiest Village in Maine' for 40 years or so. Our house is a remodeled ranch that now looks like an old New England 'cottage' and is about 1/4 mi from the harbor. Wiscasset is 'Mid-coast' Maine, between Portland and Bar Harbor. There is a very good local hospital in Damariscotta, about 13 mi away, as well as one in Boothbay Harbor, about 20 mi from here. Wiscasset is a small village of about 4,000 people and is very quaint- lots of old historical houses, etc. Several good restaurants, TONS of antique stores, and a good school system. Also a very nice Recreation Center with indoor pool, etc. Check it out on the Internet......

Old 01-05-2012, 04:56 PM

17,159 posts, read 22,167,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momokling8 View Post
We want to do almost the direct opposite! We currently live in Maine and want to retire to AZ this year. We live along the Maine coast in the village of Wiscasset, voted 'The Prettiest Village in Maine' for 40 years or so. Our house is a remodeled ranch that now looks like an old New England 'cottage' and is about 1/4 mi from the harbor. Wiscasset is 'Mid-coast' Maine, between Portland and Bar Harbor. There is a very good local hospital in Damariscotta, about 13 mi away, as well as one in Boothbay Harbor, about 20 mi from here. Wiscasset is a small village of about 4,000 people and is very quaint- lots of old historical houses, etc. Several good restaurants, TONS of antique stores, and a good school system. Also a very nice Recreation Center with indoor pool, etc. Check it out on the Internet......
wiscasset is a bottleneck in the summer- on busy route one, sometimes backed up for miles
Red's Eats was featured on the food network channel-always a crowd there

up the road (rte 1) is another very nice town-damariscotta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or