Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 09:23 PM

17 posts, read 35,607 times

Advertisements

Hello all..I am so intrigued with Maine.Its beautiful and my family and I desperately want to move there.I have no clue as to what cities are great and which are not.I am a CNA (nurse aide) and the hubbs can do just about all.He is currently a maintenance supervisor for a residential management comapany.Neither job would transfer.I have 2 kiddos 7 and 9.My oldest is severly autistic so a school with a program for him is a MUST! We currently live in Fort Collins,CO.Its great but extremely expensive and its taken a toll on us all.I am content here but who wants to live their life just content.I miss the beach!I sound nuts I know but we made the move to Colorado from Tennessee back in 07 just on a whim.We had never even been to CO and its worked out great.Opinions on towns,schools,real estate,and rentals would be greatly appeciated.Camden looks like a great place....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 03:57 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandi_28 View Post
Hello all..I am so intrigued with Maine.Its beautiful and my family and I desperately want to move there.I have no clue as to what cities are great and which are not.I am a CNA (nurse aide) and the hubbs can do just about all.He is currently a maintenance supervisor for a residential management comapany.Neither job would transfer.I have 2 kiddos 7 and 9.My oldest is severly autistic so a school with a program for him is a MUST! We currently live in Fort Collins,CO.Its great but extremely expensive and its taken a toll on us all.I am content here but who wants to live their life just content.I miss the beach!I sound nuts I know but we made the move to Colorado from Tennessee back in 07 just on a whim.We had never even been to CO and its worked out great.Opinions on towns,schools,real estate,and rentals would be greatly appeciated.Camden looks like a great place....

You must like expensive places, Camden is nice, but it is costly. The surrounding towns are much less so. Just a tip... get a job first. poor time to go job hunting in Maine now, with fall here and all.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:32 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Good advice from Austin, but while you are looking check out Lincoln. It is far less expensive than Camden.

Welcome to Lincoln, Maine!

Old 09-02-2011, 06:54 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Camden, Rockport, Belfast, Bar Harbor, Ellsworth, [and many other places] on the coast have a tourist economy. Their revenue is from tourists. Their home prices tend to be much higher because of that. Local boards of tourism spend more effort to make them look appealing to folks from away when surfing the internet. It is kind of expected that when looking at homes, you may be considering to be a future seasonal resident.

If you really want Camden then focus on towns within a 20-mile radius and inland.

Maine has a lot to offer that is not coastal.

Good luck

Old 09-02-2011, 07:35 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,199,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandi_28 View Post
Go where BOTH of you find jobs (if both of you need to work to live comfortably) BEFORE you come here. That won't be a small task. Today we heard that ZERO jobs were created in the nation last week, and Maine is a very poor state in this nation. I'm not trying to dissuade you, because we need all the taxpayers we can get, but it isn't easy finding work here.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:59 AM

1,180 posts, read 2,489,740 times
Heed the advice, do not move up here without jobs unless you have banked enough money to live at least a year on your savings. Most likely, you will want to located in one of the larger cities in Maine. Jobs are few and far between, and winter will be here before we know it.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:53 AM

Just out of curiosity whats your definition of expensive?? Thanks for all the info.I wouldnt be able to move untill a year from now.It is just beautiful tho.

Old 09-02-2011, 09:32 PM

404 posts, read 777,637 times
Mandi Just do a craigslist search of different town rentals and you'll get an idea of prices. expensive is subjective. Proprty taxes are high 2-4k per year. sales taxes are low only 5% and no tax on food.
While its not your quintessential Maine town but close to the beach. Take a look at Scarborough and surrounding areas. There are apartment communities, condo communities and seasonal rental houses who need property maintenance or management such as your husband does. Am I right to assume some times his type of job sometimes come with a housing benefit?
There are also a couple hospitals near Scarborough, Maine medical & mercy hospital for work for you. A number of Drs offices and even senior care facilities for work for you. A nice one IS Piper shores, near the beach.
Senior communities can also use some one with your husbands skills. Schools around Scarborough should have support for your child actually most schools around here do.
Do your online reasearch and then consider cold calling, partcularly in your husbands case, work for you might be easier.
Its usually easier to find work around bigger cities such as portland. Brunswick, and Bangor also has a number of apartment communities.
Along the coast you'll find the condo and seasonal rental opertunities. Inland you find your ski resort opportunities Sugarloaf and Newery.
Check out Jobs in Maine - search for jobs in Maine It has a really a good listing of available work in the state. There are jobs here, you just need to be tenacious and don't give up after a few nos or no responses.

Good luck you can do it!! But the others are right in that you should try to find work 1st. I did when I moved here Last year.

Old 09-03-2011, 03:47 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Mandi- a common message and good advice is to find employment first, then seriously think about moving up here-it's a big step in anyone's life, but it's also a huge risk to move a family, and "hope for the best"- some advice may sound negative but it's with good intentions

Having said this, I just looked up cna jobs in maine
CNA Jobs, Employment in Maine | Indeed.com
and on indeed.com there are over 500 jobs- it's what it says, i'm sure it's junked up a bit- but there are many cna jobs available in maine
I dont know what they pay- but it looks like you have many jobs to inquire about- then find an area your husband can find a job, and then things start looking better
So jobs, many jobs are available in maine for cna's

what areas best fit you and your family??
no one can answer that but you- we advise you to come up and drive around and see what YOU like
property taxes can be high, I saw 2-4k mentioned, yes it certainly can be- but it's not the case everywhere- I live on the water in southern/central maine and my taxes are 1100 yr
It greatly depends on what town you live in- towns have different tax rates.

many on this forum, have moved to maine, in the past few yrs, from other states-it can and does happen

the coast is a beautiful place in maine- but the closer you are to the coast the more expensive the housing is (usually)-
much better housing costs the further north you go, and it seems, cna's are in demand all over the state

good luck

Old 09-03-2011, 10:37 AM

Thank you all so much.I dont have to live near a beach.Reasonable driving distance is fine...Someone mentioned housing with my husband's job.Thats a negative.We pay 1175 a month for a 3 bed 1 ba home.Thats alot when you really arent content.Great family town and community but Im set on Maine.I wish I would have looked into it before movingto Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine