U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 01:19 PM

20,612 posts, read 15,431,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
If we didn't have spiders to eat the bugs we'd be complaining about the additional bugs. We are bigger than the spiders, the mice, the snakes that aren't even poisonous and even those cute little bats that don't really get tangled in our hair. We are bigger than them. They won't hurt us. I bet they point and laugh at us for being scared of them.
Birds and frogs can eat the bugs and if you think that spiders will not come after you, you are wrong. They do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 02:28 PM

5,969 posts, read 11,134,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Birds and frogs can eat the bugs and if you think that spiders will not come after you, you are wrong. They do.
Not in the last 47 years. Some of those years were spent in southern states and Asia but so far so good. I haven't yet been chased by a spider. When I worked for the USDA Forestry Service I learned that there are an average of 10,000 spiders per acre of forest in Maine. Having lived in the forest for the last 13 years, that seems accurate. Walking through strands that land of your face will get your attention quickly. There's the strand but...where's the spider?

Old 09-22-2011, 05:44 PM

7,728 posts, read 10,813,696 times
Just wait 'till you run into a wolf spider.

Old 09-22-2011, 05:53 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,611,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Just wait 'till you run into a wolf spider.
This was interesting about the wolf spider:
"Wolf spiders can reach a size of up to 1.2 inches. That is the body size only - if the legs are included the total length of a Wolf Spider can be almost four inches." :

The good news is that they usually only bite when handled... so don't pick them up.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:16 PM

570 posts, read 1,105,667 times
Quote:
Not in the last 47 years. Some of those years were spent in southern states and Asia but so far so good. I haven't yet been chased by a spider. When I worked for the USDA Forestry Service I learned that there are an average of 10,000 spiders per acre of forest in Maine. Having lived in the forest for the last 13 years, that seems accurate. Walking through strands that land of your face will get your attention quickly. There's the strand but...where's the spider?
<shudder>

Old 09-22-2011, 11:25 PM

17,159 posts, read 22,175,230 times
Quote:
good point, happens all the time, when walking in the woods...
maybe, just maybe....they jumped on us, real quick, on the back of our heads, so we dont see them,,,then silently, they crawl,,, down the back of our heads, to our necks, slowly, crawling down our backs, waiting, waiting til we get home, jumping off us, in our kitchens, in our bedrooms

Old 09-23-2011, 08:02 AM

828 posts, read 1,403,286 times
Daddy log legs DO NOT BITE HUMANS!! Their mouths are too small. They DO however eat mosquito larvea thus cutting down on the skeeter population.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:26 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,539,625 times
We have a bunch of daddy long legs hanging around on the house right now. We are not near a lake -- we're maybe 4 miles to the ocean. Sorry, Three Wolves.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:01 PM

501 posts, read 955,347 times
We've got them in droves down here in Maryland, too! I went for a hike Monday afternoon and they were creeping along everywhere. I have a friend who went camping yesterday in the western part of the state and she mentioned them as the first thing about the trip when she returned. It seems this year they are out in full force. Have never seen it like this - maybe it's all of the moist ground from the hurricane.

PS-I have never seen the "harvestman" type that a poster shared on page two here in MD. Ours look like this:

Old 09-26-2011, 01:26 AM

1,549 posts, read 2,240,834 times
That's the kind of Daddy Long Legs we have in NJ - the same as are pictured that are in MD. That's what we call them, anyway.

I hate spiders, but with those i do pull them by a leg and just toss them outside. We have quite a few around right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine