U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 08:23 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,399,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
The point I was making is that if you have a friend/lawyer who did your will, then you have an "in" the the lawyer community.
I agree with almost everything you've said here. I too have had to hire school attorneys when I served on various boards, and you get what you pay for. But, that's not the same thing as a person using an attorney. The organizations that I served on the boards of directors for had attorneys on retainer. The average person doesn't have the resources or the need to do that. And, there is no "in" in the legal community. They bill by the six minute block... that's your "in." Sorry to be so blunt, but I've dealt with at least a hundred of them over the years in many different venues, and it's best to think of them like plumbers. Pick a good one, the one that is an expert at your problem. Then watch them like hawks. Those minutes add up fast, especially when you are paying them to "think."

Old 09-23-2011, 08:59 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,213,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
I agree with almost everything you've said here. I too have had to hire school attorneys when I served on various boards, and you get what you pay for. But, that's not the same thing as a person using an attorney. The organizations that I served on the boards of directors for had attorneys on retainer. The average person doesn't have the resources or the need to do that. And, there is no "in" in the legal community. They bill by the six minute block... that's your "in." Sorry to be so blunt, but I've dealt with at least a hundred of them over the years in many different venues, and it's best to think of them like plumbers. Pick a good one, the one that is an expert at your problem. Then watch them like hawks. Those minutes add up fast, especially when you are paying them to "think."
Agree! But the "in" isn't to their community, its an "in" in having one to help you immediately when you need it, and someone, like your doctor, who knows your history and your needs.

I chose both of my lawyers because they were also friends. Both of them come to my parties, and both of them know my family, and we end of talking aobut our kids and families more than the law stuff. IMO, this is what you want if you can get it. My lawyer works out of the Blue Hill office of his firm, but he came from California. His wife is a retired corporate lawyer who was a partner in a big firm out on the west coast.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:02 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,597,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdio68 View Post
This is what they told me in a letter i got today; By virtue of the foregoing, a lien is claimed on the above property (my land) by (Creditor's name for tenants mobile home), to secure payment of $10,732.00, together with interest, court costs and attorneys fees. They put both my name and my tenants name on the letter sent to me stating; Enclosed is a copy of a lien which has been recorded at the Penobscot County Registry of Deeds in Book *****, page 230. Please contact me to arrange payment of the amount you owe so the lien can be discharged. I OWE THEM NOTHING! HOW CAN THEY EVEN PUT MY NAME IN THIS. THE MOBILE HOME IS NOT MINE. HOW CAN THEY EVEN INVOLVE ME IN THIS. I DON'T OWE THEM MONEY. MY TENANT DOES!
I understand that you're upset, but as AustinB says, before venting on a message board with well-intentioned strangers (me included), have you called the creditor to calmly explain your situation as you have here? Have you checked at the Registry to verify that the lien has been filed? After those steps, if you are still not satisfied, then you should contact a real estate attorney. Good luck.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:20 PM

11 posts, read 17,286 times
Duh!!! I did contact a lawyer the next day. I was just getting people's opinions on this forum. My lawyer was probably home in bed at the time i opened the letter and posted this thread. It was 9:45 pm!

Old 09-24-2011, 06:28 PM

11 posts, read 17,286 times
Most of these replies are stupid and don't even answer a simple question! Stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-24-2011, 07:40 PM

568 posts, read 928,833 times
Stupid? You come on here and ask people's opinions and then call them stupid? Maybe they did not answer your question, maybe they got off track but to call them stupid is really uncalled for. That is not how people should conduct themselves here. In case you haven't noticed, most people on here are happy to help when they can and in turn simply would like to be respected.
I am pretty sure you might not want to ask any more questions.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:49 AM

10,517 posts, read 10,300,839 times
Quote:
Most of these replies are stupid and don't even answer a simple question! Stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cant imagine why you would be dragged into a lawsuit, with such an attitude like this....

Old 09-25-2011, 06:19 AM

2,899 posts, read 3,045,013 times
Quote:

I don't see where most of the answers are stupid. I understand you're upset but lashing out at the people you asked for help isn't the answer. On the contrary, the answers were well meaning. Hope it all works out for you, despite your frustration. Just go easy on your lawyer.

Old 09-25-2011, 06:38 AM

4,084 posts, read 7,402,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
This is an example of how everyone should have an attorney that they can call on. It easy to get one, just get a will done. Once an attorney or his/her law firm does your will, then they are YOUR attorney. And everyone should have a simple will.
Lawyers, like doctors, have their specialty. A lawyer who handles Wills, Estates, etc. is different from someone who handles Automobile Accidents, Criminal, Eldercare, etc.

Just because a lawyer drew up a Will, doesn't mean he is well versed in laws regarding Civil suits, even though he may profess same.

Regarding the original question/situation, I would get copies of the lien, contact the creditor to get all the facts to present to your attorney.

Since the responders on CD don't have all the facts, it would be difficult to get specific answers.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:52 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,213,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Lawyers, like doctors, have their specialty. A lawyer who handles Wills, Estates, etc. is different from someone who handles Automobile Accidents, Criminal, Eldercare, etc.

Just because a lawyer drew up a Will, doesn't mean he is well versed in laws regarding Civil suits, even though he may profess same.
Of course! Everyone knows this, I thought...maybe people don't. I didn't mean to imply that you wouldn't want to find a real estate lawyer. Likewise if you get into a criminal case, you want a trial lawyer. However, this issue with a lien on your property inappropriately is not a complicated real estate transaction. Any competant lawyer should be able to help you with this.

But the point here is that if you have a lawyer that is good and that you trust, if its not his/her area, he will be able to get you to another more appropriate lawyer more quickly than if you have to cast about yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine