U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 10:09 AM

10,157 posts, read 9,927,962 times

Advertisements

Watched a cooking show on seafood. They ran a film clip of them putting together a clam bake on the beach. I noticed they put flats of whole eggs in the shell and then covered with seaweed. How does that work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 11:27 AM

3,106 posts, read 5,440,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Watched a cooking show on seafood. They ran a film clip of them putting together a clam bake on the beach. I noticed they put flats of whole eggs in the shell and then covered with seaweed. How does that work?
That's a really neat way to get rid of those old eggs, without having to go to the dump. People think you're cooking them in the shell in a really neat way, when actually you're just leaving them behind.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:44 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,155,044 times
Sometimes I think I really don't live in New England. I have never seen anyone put eggs into a clambake. Okay, in all honesty, I haven't seen anyone do the sausage thing, either.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:45 PM

3,015 posts, read 4,879,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Sometimes I think I really don't live in New England. I have never seen anyone put eggs into a clambake. Okay, in all honesty, I haven't seen anyone do the sausage thing, either.

Me either. Maybe it was Mr Austin they saw getting rid of his eggs. He's a stealthy bugger and loves a good practical joke.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:00 PM

3,106 posts, read 5,440,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Me either. Maybe it was Mr Austin they saw getting rid of his eggs. He's a stealthy bugger and loves a good practical joke.
If somebody has a fit and makes you go back and dig up the eggs, I shell them, put them in brine and sell'em as pickled eggs. Maybe you've seen them on some of the store counters...

Old 09-23-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
If somebody has a fit and makes you go back and dig up the eggs, I shell them, put them in brine and sell'em as pickled eggs. Maybe you've seen them on some of the store counters...
ECS

Old 09-23-2011, 05:06 PM

17,199 posts, read 22,241,590 times
Ive got to admit, ive seen some eggs placed in seaweed in a clambake, ive also seen potatos and corn

As clambakes go-why junk up the plate, with anything but clams and lobsters and a pound of melted butter??
my all time fav!!

Old 09-23-2011, 06:29 PM

After doing a little research on this egg thing... I do believe they are included in the clambake mostly to check and see if the seafood is done. If the egg is cooked through... so is the rest of the bake. If not... try again in a few minutes with another egg. I guess my old method of looking to see if the shells are open is not as gourmet-approved as the egg test!

Old 09-23-2011, 07:14 PM

17,199 posts, read 22,241,590 times
Quote:
After doing a little research on this egg thing... I do believe they are included in the clambake mostly to check and see if the seafood is done. If the egg is cooked through... so is the rest of the bake. If not... try again in a few minutes with another egg. I guess my old method of looking to see if the shells are open is not as gourmet-approved as the egg test!
I always used the open shell rule for steamers, but then again, my brother and i use to dare each other to eat them raw, along with many other marine creatures

I have many old, dear memories of family clambakes,

Old 09-23-2011, 07:52 PM

3,015 posts, read 4,879,094 times
Quote:
Very good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine