U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2011, 11:06 AM

176 posts, read 408,932 times

Advertisements

Hello I was just wondering about this part of coastal Maine. I went to Kennebunkport about a month ago. I liked it. I hear about Portland, Bar Harbor etc...but I never hear about parts to the North, or I guess as you call it the Downeast.
My specific question is it less populated along the coast the further north you get toward Lubec?
I am just curious. I am hoping to return to Maine again. I really liked the coastal region. I would like to do some exploring.
Thank you for reading my post. I look forward to your insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2011, 12:44 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,665,376 times
I can talk about Mount Desert island, if you have something to ask.....

Old 09-24-2011, 01:31 PM

17,159 posts, read 22,175,230 times
I lived in kennebunkport, very pretty area,
bar harbor is very nice and scenic- lots of money around both of these areas-

the further downeast you go, the higher concentration of working locals, nice areas too, less people,,,but it depends on what you like- I like seclusion, and privacy,,,,some folks dont

Old 09-24-2011, 01:33 PM

3,015 posts, read 4,872,001 times
THe further up the coast you go the less population you will get. But that's OK, we like it that way. We look out for each other better up this way, IMO. Seems like most folks that move to Maine like the bigger popuklation and Boston being close by.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:23 PM

1,158 posts, read 2,122,663 times
Far less, people, and as my friend tinbender says, we like it that way. People do look after you, in more ways than a lot of people know. People are friendly and very accepting of those from elsewhere. I drove from Calais to Eastport this afternoon, and probably only met 40 cars in 30 miles.

There are lots of places to explore, and the scenery is beautiful. I moved here a year ago and would not want to live anywhere else, that is IMHO.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:30 PM

Actually I don't mind sparsly populated. I like friendly as well..I'm a Texan I don't mind a slow pace. I just care about beautiful scenery, getting outdoors and yes in Maine....getting some excellent seafood I was just curious as whenever people talk about Maine they don't talk about that area...which makes me more and more curious wanting to go visit. This last summer in Texas was brutal. I have put up with heat all my life...but heck...I am looking for a huge change. I really enjoyed the beauty of the coastal North Atlantic. It is something so very different from what I am used to.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:52 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,240,834 times
I love that part of Maine, and i'm looking to re-locate there.

Probably Eastport, Lubec, or Jonesport.. to name a few

I love that the prices are reasonable, most of the taxes are, the views are beautiful, and it's quieter.

A friend just moved to Eastport and loves it.. there is a downtown there. She and her husband bought 2 properties the first time they visited, and moved there year-round when he retired.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:00 PM

234 posts, read 801,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katefrisco View Post
Actually I don't mind sparsly populated. I like friendly as well..I'm a Texan I don't mind a slow pace. I just care about beautiful scenery, getting outdoors and yes in Maine....getting some excellent seafood I was just curious as whenever people talk about Maine they don't talk about that area...which makes me more and more curious wanting to go visit. This last summer in Texas was brutal. I have put up with heat all my life...but heck...I am looking for a huge change. I really enjoyed the beauty of the coastal North Atlantic. It is something so very different from what I am used to.
I am from Pennsylvania (by way of New Jersey), but I have driven that part of Maine several times.

There are probably several reasons why you don't hear too much about that area. As someone else has mentioned, the farther North you go from Bar Harbor, the sparser the population gets. It almost seems to diminish noticeably with every mile.

There are also NO tourist destinations in that area, so you don't have a lot of returning vacationers talking about it (except for me - I love it there!)

But, if you enjoy solitude and you don't mind long winters, it may be right for you. In my opinion, it is one of the most beautiful areas on the East coast.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:25 AM

Thanks for the responses!

Old 09-28-2011, 03:08 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,665,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
People do look after you, in more ways than a lot of people know. People are friendly and very accepting of those from elsewhere. I drove from Calais to Eastport this afternoon, and probably only met 40 cars in 30 miles.
2 Perfect Examples:

I'm moving in about 3-4 weeks. I called up a wood dealer for wood for the winter. He called me back in PA this morning to tell me that he only had green wood at the moment but that he would be happy to give me some in November that he will be kiln drying. Called me in Pennyslvania!!! Sure the price is higher than for his normally aged wood from last spring, but its cheaper than I have to pay in PA. But I was impressed that he called me in PA. Only two hours later his son contacts me on facebook and apologizes for not getting back to me sooner, but says he only has green wood at the moment, and that I should call his dad for some kiln dried wood available in November.

Or

I called the local moving company, Norumbega. We agree that he probably doesn't have a big enough truck but is willing to drive to PA to pick me up anyhow. And then he says that I should call him back after i decide how I'm going to get my stuff up to MDI, "... so I won't worry what happened to you."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or