Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 03:49 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,199,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
Best you keep your trash barrels in the garage or somewhere where the skunks can't get at them or you will end up with a huge problem. We had a couple "mostly" white skunks pass through our back yard on a regular basis through the winter. It seems a couple neighbors keep overturned old canoes in their back yards and the skunks use them for shelter.
I thought skunks hibernated through the winter?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 04:10 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post

No one said they chose well insulated shelter to hibernate under. Not very green in that aspect. At least they don't use fossil fuel to heat.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:22 PM

6,630 posts, read 13,534,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
Maine has only one true hibernator, the chipmunk. They're most active in winter from late January into March, their mating season.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:43 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,245,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Maine has only one true hibernator, the chipmunk. They're most active in winter from late January into March, their mating season.
Maine bears don't hibernate?

Old 09-27-2011, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Maine bears don't hibernate?
They wake up, move around and might leave the den briefly. They're most active starting in January when the sow goes into labor and gives birth. Boars wake but have little to do so they sleep more than the sows. Their metabolism and heart rate slow drastically and they live off their stored fat.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
They wake up, move around and might leave the den briefly. They're most active starting in January when the sow goes into labor and gives birth. Boars wake but have little to do so they sleep more than the sows. Their metabolism and heart rate slow drastically and they live off their stored fat.
Interesting. Thanks!

Old 09-27-2011, 10:42 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,165,214 times
Many, many, moons ago I used to hear *old timer* hunter/trappers talk about "fisher cats" (when I used to go visiting with my father who hunted almost yearly and had a large number of friends who hunted religiously). I think it is a very old and now obsolete term maybe?

I can recall 2 or 3 of our cats disappearing (within a span of around 3 years) right around the time I caught a brief glimpse of one in the woods. I believe that was one of only a handful of times I caught glimpses of them - they're extremely good at keeping out of sight. That was a timeframe when quite a few of our neighbors lost their housecats as well. Fishers can be vicious little buggers.

I also recall asking my father what kind of cat would eat its own kind, and that's when I was educated in the fact that it wasn't an actual cat - rather a fisher was a kind of weasel. Back then we didn't have google, so I had to look a picture of it up in the encyclopedia.

Oops. Just dated myself there.

We have skunks who like to hole up in our driveway culverts. One of them was pretty large. We also saw them frequently on the lawn during a January thaw one year.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Maine has only one true hibernator, the chipmunk.
Do our bats hibernate or migrate?

We have lots of bats in the spring and summer, a few in early fall, then we don't see them again until at least March/April.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:03 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,654,623 times
Our dog had a "meeting" with a skunk three weeks ago and even after several treatments still is referred to as "puppy la pew." Hopefully your dog won't decide to chase the black and white ***** cat.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Do our bats hibernate or migrate?

We have lots of bats in the spring and summer, a few in early fall, then we don't see them again until at least March/April.
Both, kind of. Bats that don't migrate will slow respiration and the body temp drops. They can wake briefly and fly during the winter. A true hibernator doesn't wake. That leaves me wondering about those chipmunks - why are they storing so much food?

Skunk Off! works well on my dogs. You spray it on, rub it into hair and skin, and leave it. Don't wash off. On damp/wet days they'll smell a little so I spray them again. It also works on clothing, in the air, on floors and anywhere else the dog manages to get to before you realize what happened and get it out of the house. There's a recipe online for peroxide, baking soda and dish detergent that works well. It made my father's red dog a blond but at least he didn't smell bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine