U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 02:47 AM

17,175 posts, read 22,210,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
As far as their coats...the only thing I've noticed and that happened shortly after we moved here...well, back story a tiny bit:

I got them spayed and neutered last October. In Miami, it is HOT. (In case you hadn't heard.) That area where they were shaved for their trimmings never really grew back. They were bald there.

We moved here and they started to finally grow some fur back in around June. It's really slowed down and it's still not fully filled in. (Wish it would hurry UP already!)

Other than that, their coats look the same. But, as you said, maybe the first year it won't catch on.

Also, I want to reiterate that I'm talking about hiking. For the back yard, sure, I would let them out and if I see them start to shiver or look like they are cold, easily brought back in.

But if we are out, hiking, a good half an hour away from the car, I can't bring them back immediately, hence the question about the boots. Or heck, even a coat. (I can't believe I'm typing that.)

For example, say, in January or February, (if it's even open, I haven't yet checked), I want to take a friend who is planning to visit over to Acadia National Park. Naturally the dogs will go with me. We would be hiking for at least two or three hours, half of that away from the car. If they start to get really cold or their feet start getting too cold...I'm not going to be able to easily carry a 45 and 24 pound dog in my arms back to the car.

I was just wondering if it does get cold enough that some people in Maine do that for their dogs? I don't have a problem getting them boots for when we hike, (and I suppose a coat if I must), I just don't want to be the laughing stock in Maine and have everyone think I'm one of "those" people, one of "those outsiders". Dang it, I forget what people called them again.

I'm considering it at least boots wise since it's their first winter ever, (real winter, not fake winter like Miami), was just wondering if it really does get *that* cold.

And yes! The first time it snows? I cannot wait to open that door and watch as they bound outside!

"Hurray! We're outsi......wait...wha...?????"

I'm going to be snapping some serious photos and figure out the video on my camera. It should be a riot.

These are my dogs:

At the rest stop when you first enter Maine! =)

Im sure those dogs will love the snow, I had a retired greyhound (racer) for 13 yrs, as dogs go, she certainly wasnt built for snow and ice, or the cold, but she fared well
when I had two greyhounds, one absolutely loved the snow-but ice would freeze in her paws, and they werent too coordinated on slippery surfaces- definitely not snow hiking dogs,,,however even when it was cold out- when the dogs were moving, they never seemed cold, and these dogs have very short hair, with little on their underside

the dogs you have, will love the snow!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 05:43 AM

5,969 posts, read 11,143,258 times
If they'll leave boots on, it won't hurt to use them. They'll probably appreciate the extra warmth at least the first winter. It's hard to tell ahead of time. They might adjust just fine. They already walk a lot so their feet probably aren't tender. I'd start with short walks and add a little time to build up to hiking time. You won't find many groomed paths for hiking. That's definitely something to look into ahead of time.

Old 10-01-2011, 07:59 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,545,610 times
I wonder if your dogs have some border collie in them?

Sorry, I've not much advice on the snow issue with dogs -- I think they will be just fine. You obviously would not go hiking with them if it's 5 degrees. I bet they will have a blast!

Old 10-01-2011, 11:18 AM

5,969 posts, read 11,143,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawmom View Post
I wonder if your dogs have some border collie in them?
I wondered about collie. My collies have/had those cute tipped over ears.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:07 PM

4,958 posts, read 10,371,321 times
Our hound mix loves the snow. Our pug (who sadly passed away last year) hated it! He would go outside, do his business, and come right back in. To burn off energy in the winter, he would race through the house a few times. Our neighbors have a Pomeranian that they walk year-round. No boots, and he seems to be fine. I wouldn't recommend that for a short-haired small breed though.

Old 10-01-2011, 03:47 PM

20,687 posts, read 15,469,075 times
Thanks everyone.

I think just for their first winter, I'll get them some boots. I think I'll pass on a coat. If it turns out that they're pansy dogs, then maybe coats next year but I really think their fur is long enough for cold.

I used to keep the a/c on 60-65 in Miami and they are way more active the cooler it gets, (I've noticed around here), so I think in that department, they'll be ok.

I wouldn't hike when it's 5 degrees out but I might do it when it's 30 or a little less. But I have to check up on what Acadia National Park does in the winter. I'm so used to things being open all the time that I forget I have to check on things now. But surely I am not the only one who would go there in winter time?

As for collie...hmm. I really don't know. I've guessed all kinds of things:

They have purple spots on their tongues and the girl's tail curls over her back so I thought maybe some chow. But they like people way too much....that could be the lab in them though.

I've wondered quite a bit and I really want to find some place that does DNA tests that are accurate.

The boy has an extremely high prey drive. But, now that you mention collie...and maybe other breeds do this but when he's "stalking" the girl, he will go down to the ground like a collie does. I always told him he was acting like a cat but maybe he is acting like a collie.

Heck, I don't know what they are. The girl is so fricken smart she makes me look like the Dog Whisperer times 10. I teach her something, she has it down within seconds. Literally seconds.

The boy...well, he's so eager to please but...let's put it this way: We've been working on "shake" with the boy for over a year. He still doesn't get it.

The girl picked it up right away and now knows "left" and "right" and I don't give her any cues. In fact, the other day, I went to "shake" her paw, I said, "left" while I reached for the right one and she brought up her left one. She's a Mensa dog.

The boy is loyal, eager to please as I said, stalks and has a high prey drive. He also has some dog aggression we've been working on...through a trainer who costs way too much.

She's smart as a whip and mischievous. She loves everyone and everything and knows she's cute. I call her the manipulator.

Sound like any breeds you know?

Anyway, again, thank you for the answers, all of them. I'm going to order them some boots now and anxiously await the first snow.

(And I'll post them in the Photos of Maine thread when that happens....in case anyone wants to see.)

Old 10-02-2011, 12:03 PM

75 posts, read 172,700 times
If you leave your dogs in the car in the winter, they should have coats as they will not be active. Also, there is a type of ice melt that is good for pets as it's non-toxic. I would also use a pet friendly anti-freeze in case the vehicle springs a leak. Unlike the summer where it would drain away, it would get mixed into the slush.

For the rest of the time; every dog is different, observe your dog and take action as needed. Dont waste your money on fashion products, buy quality. We use ruffwear products, and they are built well, but expensive. I think they make a jacket.

Old 10-02-2011, 02:27 PM

20,687 posts, read 15,469,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Raven View Post
If you leave your dogs in the car in the winter, they should have coats as they will not be active. Also, there is a type of ice melt that is good for pets as it's non-toxic. I would also use a pet friendly anti-freeze in case the vehicle springs a leak. Unlike the summer where it would drain away, it would get mixed into the slush.

For the rest of the time; every dog is different, observe your dog and take action as needed. Dont waste your money on fashion products, buy quality. We use ruffwear products, and they are built well, but expensive. I think they make a jacket.
Still looking at boots. What do you think of these?

Muttluks Fleece Lined Boots - Black at BaxterBoo

(And they have ones in pink for the girl. That's as fashionable as I'm getting.)

Old 10-02-2011, 02:47 PM

75 posts, read 172,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Still looking at boots. What do you think of these?

Muttluks Fleece Lined Boots - Black at BaxterBoo

(And they have ones in pink for the girl. That's as fashionable as I'm getting.)
I can't comment as I'm not familiar with them, or the company.

Ruffwear has these
Bark'n Boots Polar Trex Winter Boots for Dogs

I've bought the swampcooler, palisades pack and webmaster harness for my dog and have found the quality in par with human hiking gear. In fact it's commonly sold in hiking stores along side human gear.

I have one suspicion with the muttluks....why so many colors? In all the gear I ever buy, a company more concerned with fashion/colors, is less concerned with quality and function.

I would suggest taking a look at these things in person before dropping $50-$80 on a set. The other thing, can you replace a single boot if it gets lost? You can with ruffwears stuff.

I really should work for them....I praise them too much

Old 10-02-2011, 07:58 PM

404 posts, read 642,986 times
Last winter was my first winter in maine a subsequently my golden retriever's too. I actually did buy hey a tastefull coat but I only put it on her during heavy snow or extreme cold. She seemed to like it. I Noticed from time to time her paws would bother her possibly salt possibly from dryness. so I bought her some mushers wax....get it early in the season it gets hard to find and is like $8 and it seemed to help. Think of it like chap-stick for paw pads. Humm, I wonder if you could use chap stick?
Enjoy your 1st winter, your dogs will! But by march you'll be ready for it to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine