U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 03:04 AM

885 posts, read 1,189,891 times

Advertisements

I recently purchased a new air tight wood stove. I never used air tight before so am a rooky. Last night I tried to start a breaking in fire. Every time I shut the door the fire goes out and just smokes. I ran it for a bit with the door cracked and even then when the door got shut....out went the fire even with the built in damper wide open.....pretty discouraging to say the least.....any ideas what I am doing wrong?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 05:48 AM

346 posts, read 658,643 times
Not being the expert on this stuff, I'd have to guess that you're not giving it time to heat. Once the vent pipe get's warm, I'd think that you'd be good to go.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:19 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,407,148 times
Namder, from your description, I'd say there's an air inlet or two on the stove that you're not opening. An airtight stove has adjustable openings on the stove itself to allow air into the firebox. When you're just starting a fire, you want those inlets to be wide open to allow outside air to feed the fire. After it's going and you have a good bed of coals, you can close it/them partially. A damper, usually on the stove pipe, doesn't let air into the firebox; it adjusts the speed of the flow of air through the firebox and up the chimney. And you want that, too, to be wide open when you're first starting a fire.

ETA: You don't mention the brand of stove you own, but it should have come with a set of instructions on how to use it if you bought it new. If not, try the manufacturer's web site online. Most stove companies post operating instructions on the sites, often with FAQs.

Last edited by Coaster; 10-05-2011 at 06:31 AM..

Old 10-05-2011, 07:06 AM

75 posts, read 172,643 times
It's all in the setup.

How old is your wood, how big is the split?

How wide and tall is your flu?

How tight is your house, some are too tight and don't allow for proper drafting facilitating the need for an external fresh air kit

How many bends in your stove pipe? All going up hill?

Do you have a small bed of coals prior to closing it up?

My guess: A long 6" flu, bigger not 2 yr logs, and not much of a coal base.
My Solution: Smaller logs, ash and birch to start, kiln dried or lumber scraps to heat the flue initially and set the base. Then the larger logs for extended burn.

Old 10-05-2011, 04:12 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,667,320 times
The column of air in the chimney might be to cold and heavy to let hot air up through it. The new airtights usually make it difficult to stuff newspaper into the exit pipe. but usually a little cardboard or newspaper will burn hot enough to get the air in the chimney moving. Of course if your chimney is too big for the stove or too cold you may need to put in a stainless steel chimney liner or an insulated SS liner. Its what I will have to do for my interior chimney because its an 8 x 14 inch chimney: way way way too big for a stove with a 6 inch exit stack.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:39 PM

17,167 posts, read 22,195,062 times
I usually crack the door to establish a draft to get the fire going, use plenty of newspaper- and dry kindling, get the kindling going before you throw on anything heavier

If its windy, it sometimes is a challenge to get it going

oh yes, the more color in the newspaper/paper (like a store flyer) that paper doesnt burn as well as plain regular newspaper

here's a video i found on youtube- i've never used one of these starters (usually newspaper will work) but it looks quite effective

Secrets of Starting a Great Fire - YouTube

a few good tips in the video too

http://youtu.be/VjlQfmTN4Ts

Old 10-05-2011, 07:08 PM

29,738 posts, read 47,525,692 times
Comments given so far sound good.

Keep trying

Old 10-05-2011, 07:59 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,667,320 times
LL Bean and other stores sell something cvalled FATWOOD which is usually oak strips of wood that are soaked in some kind of accelerant.

If you criss-cross these at the bottom and then put on some kindling, you can get a pretty fast raging fire before you know it. They have really very little accerant but they will start with a match and you don't need a propane torch.

I've used it for years.

Old 10-06-2011, 04:06 AM

885 posts, read 1,189,891 times
All were right.....I left the door open and got the fire burning around 300 degrees on the stove pipe and was able to close the door with no troubles. I let it burn out as recomended and will repeat the process again tonight ....then tomorrow get a real good fire going! Thanks all!

Old 10-06-2011, 12:24 PM

39 posts, read 53,968 times
You didn't mention if it is new or usesd. If it has previously been used, you might look at the top of the inside. It may be removed and about a quart of creasote may fall out. That solved the same problem that you are having for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine