Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2011, 03:50 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman
below the volvo line, if you dont want your neighbors intruding or bothering you, just put up an old bush/cheney political sign, a sarah palin sign would work as well.
I have heard of that line.

Where do you say it is?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 03:54 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Wow Maineah, I totally understand your frustration with your disrespectful neighbors,however, a little communication goes a long way. Shooting up the land where they were intruding was a bit harsh. I would question weather I would want to live next to you also. My husband and I visited Maine last February and haven't been the same since. We are retiring early and are looking for some beautiful old house to restore. I am very social and I hope to be able to make some friends but you are painting a very lonely picture for me as an away person. Maybe we should realize that we are all Americans instead of the us against them mentality. If we wind up as neighbors I will respect your space, but could I target practice with you? I have a 22 that I haven't been able to use living here in the city. I hope you have better luck with your new neighbors.
You'd be more than welcome to come over and target practice with me anytime. The bullets would still hit where the neighbors had the picnics as I have made that a permanent shooting area. My point was I shouldn't HAVE to say or do anything to keep people off my property. They should simply respect my rights as a property owner and stay off our land without asking first. If they had asked I'd have said fine. If they had been the least bit friendly about it I'd have had no complaint. In fact I know full well people use our land all the time out of view of the house and I don't have a problem . If you set up picnics overlooking my home I DO have a problem with that. To me it smacks of voyerism and I don't like it at all. Suppose I decided to go out to my garage in my underwear after taking a shower. We live in an isolated area and no one can see what we're doing unless they are trespassing. Should I have to worry about some interlopers having a picnic on my lawn and check first before I walk across my driveway in my skivvies??? NO.. I shouldn't! Especially when you do not have permission to be there in the first place. The only reason it became a target range was the wood cutting wasn't enough of a hint. Some people need a bigger hint. Why should I have to communicate with them???? They are the ones trespassing. Perhaps THEY should have communicated with ME, BEFORE they set up their multiple picnics???
You'll find that my disdain for uninvited people on my land extends to MOST Mainers. If they know you they don't have a problem for the most part. If you ask ,generally they will grant you permission to do what ever you like. Heck there are always people asking if they can fly model rockets, kites, and airplanes in our fields and I love to see them having fun, picnics too!...Again the key is THEY ASK. Even my best friends get an annual call from me to see if it's still ok to hunt, fish, fiddlehead, or what have you on their land and they do the same with me. There is never a problem but it's just good manners and respectful to ask even when you already know the answer.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:06 PM

468 posts, read 758,251 times
Thanks all for an interesting conversation on visiting/trespassing on others' property.

I have a question, though.

While visiting my sister's family in suburban Boston this evening, I got to walking around the neighborhood, looking at how the landscape has changed over the past 45 years. (My sister's family now lives in the house we grew up in.) This suburb was fairly rural at the time and less so now, but this particular neighborhood got all the construction done decades ago. It's still acre house lots with a mixture of woods and fields. Back in the 60s, all the kids on my street felt free to walk all over every family's yard, even if a particular family didn't have kids and largely no adult ever challenged us. I guess this continued until I was in high school at which point I was old enough to feel "funny", intruding into somebody else's woods, even if that woods was only a partial acre or so, connected to our partial acre of woods, etc. Looking back on those 1960s from the present 2011 , I can't now imagine we felt so free as kids to have the run of the neighborhood, but I'm not sure that this inability to believe what we did back then was okay because times have now truly changed (due to safety and other concerns) or just because *I* am much older and changed myself now

My question for folks here is, what expectations do rural Maine kids have for not trespassing on their neighbors' fields and woods? Do parents see to it that their kids respect their neighbors' land (more than my, and my friends' parents did), or do rural, (Maine) kids get more of a pass to wander around the neighborhood such as I did years ago and if not, is this a rural - suburban Boston difference or a time and generational change, or both?

Old 05-31-2011, 06:32 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
We still shoot when we feel like it, we hunt the land, we cut the trees, we grind up or burn the brush and we take good care of the area. We allow people to use it with permissionbut asking first is key.
I couldn't believe it one day when I came home for lunch and the neighbors (who lived there before the place sold again last fall) had set up a nice picnic under a tree on a small hill on our land practically IN OUR YARD about 120 yards from my back deck...I don't like confrontation and people using the property for passive uses like skiing, snowmobiling, hunting, etc. has never been an issue.
Exactly. I was brought up to respect other peoples' property and privacy. The basic rule was "If it isn't yours, then you have no right to [do anything with] it." (Unless explicitly given permission otherwise.)

We didn't take 'short cuts' through other peoples' property. A toy or tool left unattended could not be assumed to be available to use- if you didn't own it, then you didn't touch it, period. We didn't pick fruit from other peoples' trees or bushes, or flowers from their gardens. Rules like this didn't only apply to the world at large, but also in the home- going into parents' or siblings' rooms without being invited was forbidden and you didn't mess with their stuff without permission...even now, when mail comes that is addressed to my wife, I don't open it, nor do I go through her pocketbook- she has a right to her privacy.

A while ago I had a problem with kids on snow machines. This past Winter a man and his wife came through, but they stopped a reasonable distance from the house and came to the door to ask if they could cut through. Of course, I let them.

This Spring, I heard the roar of dirt bikes from the next field over while I was cutting wood. I didn't think much of it until they appeared at the edge of my field, coming from a gap in the woods. It was apparently the same two kids that I had previously tossed for tearing things up with their sleds.

The first one stopped short and hollered to the other "Oh, [bleep]! The guy's outside!" Then they turned and fled. It's a shame, they clearly knew that they were not welcome but they were intent on going where they were not welcome anyway. They obviously had no respect and intended to do whatever they wanted to as long as they thought they wouldn't get caught.

That afternoon I constructed a fence across the trail. Two inconsiderate individuals have spoiled it for everyone else. Maybe I'll build a gate, I don't know. I'd hate to have to deny *everyone*, but it would take time effort and money to put a gate up. I should go to the effort and expense to screen out miscreants and let others through? It's much easier to just be a ***** and cut everyone off.

I don't like confrontation either and try to avoid it when possible. The problem could have been solved if the kids or their parents (or both) had come to me, asked permission and agreed to some simple rules- keep to the treeline on the far side of the field away from the house, no excessive speed or noise, and no lights flashing in my windows at night...of course, that applies only to snow machines in Winter, the dirt bikes aren't going to be allowed at all. Bikes have no problem on pavement, and there are a number of reasons why we have a house that is in a very private setting. We value the peace and quiet while we are enjoying the warm weather and nature, and the prospect of unexpected travelers roaring through would hinder our complete enjoyment. Sorry kiddos.

Old 05-31-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beltrams View Post
Thanks all for an interesting conversation on visiting/trespassing on others' property.

I have a question, though.

While visiting my sister's family in suburban Boston this evening, I got to walking around the neighborhood, looking at how the landscape has changed over the past 45 years. (My sister's family now lives in the house we grew up in.) This suburb was fairly rural at the time and less so now, but this particular neighborhood got all the construction done decades ago. It's still acre house lots with a mixture of woods and fields. Back in the 60s, all the kids on my street felt free to walk all over every family's yard, even if a particular family didn't have kids and largely no adult ever challenged us. I guess this continued until I was in high school at which point I was old enough to feel "funny", intruding into somebody else's woods, even if that woods was only a partial acre or so, connected to our partial acre of woods, etc. Looking back on those 1960s from the present 2011 , I can't now imagine we felt so free as kids to have the run of the neighborhood, but I'm not sure that this inability to believe what we did back then was okay because times have now truly changed (due to safety and other concerns) or just because *I* am much older and changed myself now

My question for folks here is, what expectations do rural Maine kids have for not trespassing on their neighbors' fields and woods? Do parents see to it that their kids respect their neighbors' land (more than my, and my friends' parents did), or do rural, (Maine) kids get more of a pass to wander around the neighborhood such as I did years ago and if not, is this a rural - suburban Boston difference or a time and generational change, or both?
Kids don't wander in the woods anymore. At least in this area. We never had any problem with kids in the woods and fields around here. When our kids were growing up there were always kids over here riding dirtbikes, playing paint ball, sleeping out in tents. They had a ball. Ticks are a big reason the kids don't go out in the woods around here anymore. They are miserable. We let the kids ride their dirtbikes out back. I set a track for them to ride on and the field is big enough for them to ride almost unnoticed by us. Same for the snow machines. They don't hang out there much and usually just pass through. Occasionally you get an idiot that finds it necessary to go across your lawn or ride his machine around your barn . I deal with them individually as most of the kids are ok. It comes in waves. Boys discover girls at 16-17 and the bikes stay parked after that until the next generation of kids shows up a few years later.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:19 PM

468 posts, read 758,251 times
Quote:
Kids don't wander in the woods anymore. At least in this area. We never had any problem with kids in the woods and fields around here. When our kids were growing up there were always kids over here riding dirtbikes, playing paint ball, sleeping out in tents. They had a ball. Ticks are a big reason the kids don't go out in the woods around here anymore. They are miserable. We let the kids ride their dirtbikes out back. I set a track for them to ride on and the field is big enough for them to ride almost unnoticed by us. Same for the snow machines. They don't hang out there much and usually just pass through. Occasionally you get an idiot that finds it necessary to go across your lawn or ride his machine around your barn . I deal with them individually as most of the kids are ok. It comes in waves. Boys discover girls at 16-17 and the bikes stay parked after that until the next generation of kids shows up a few years later.
I should say that growing up, though we felt we had free run of everybody's back woods, we never would ride our bikes on somebody's yard, though we might on some of the fire trails cut through other people's woods. Dirt bikes didn't really exist in any great numbers when I was a kid, but had I had one, I certainly never would have gone on anybody's property with that. That is, we did follow limits as to how obtrusive we were on Mr. and Mrs. So and So's land and a dirt bike would have been too much.

Down in MA, the ticks certainly are a big factor as to why kids don't go into the woods anymore. Happily, I can't say I've seen many deer ticks at all in Aroostook as of yet. Frankly, I'd rather deal with black flies for a month or two rather than deer ticks just about the whole time the snow is gone.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:06 PM

565 posts, read 934,670 times
Quote:
You'd be more than welcome to come over and target practice with me anytime. The bullets would still hit where the neighbors had the picnics as I have made that a permanent shooting area. My point was I shouldn't HAVE to say or do anything to keep people off my property. They should simply respect my rights as a property owner and stay off our land without asking first. If they had asked I'd have said fine. If they had been the least bit friendly about it I'd have had no complaint. In fact I know full well people use our land all the time out of view of the house and I don't have a problem . If you set up picnics overlooking my home I DO have a problem with that. To me it smacks of voyerism and I don't like it at all. Suppose I decided to go out to my garage in my underwear after taking a shower. We live in an isolated area and no one can see what we're doing unless they are trespassing. Should I have to worry about some interlopers having a picnic on my lawn and check first before I walk across my driveway in my skivvies??? NO.. I shouldn't! Especially when you do not have permission to be there in the first place. The only reason it became a target range was the wood cutting wasn't enough of a hint. Some people need a bigger hint. Why should I have to communicate with them???? They are the ones trespassing. Perhaps THEY should have communicated with ME, BEFORE they set up their multiple picnics???
You'll find that my disdain for uninvited people on my land extends to MOST Mainers. If they know you they don't have a problem for the most part. If you ask ,generally they will grant you permission to do what ever you like. Heck there are always people asking if they can fly model rockets, kites, and airplanes in our fields and I love to see them having fun, picnics too!...Again the key is THEY ASK. Even my best friends get an annual call from me to see if it's still ok to hunt, fish, fiddlehead, or what have you on their land and they do the same with me. There is never a problem but it's just good manners and respectful to ask even when you already know the answer.
What is "proper" procedure if you do not know the persons phone number? Go up to their door randomly and knock? I ask because I don't want to trespass on anyones land, but at the same time I really don't like people coming to my door.

Also, can people own the land under power wires? Last year we walked thru a what i thought was a hiking trail, but now i know its a snowmobile trail. Should i have asked permission to the guy that land abuts it?

Old 05-31-2011, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthetrees View Post
What is "proper" procedure if you do not know the persons phone number? Go up to their door randomly and knock? I ask because I don't want to trespass on anyones land, but at the same time I really don't like people coming to my door.

Also, can people own the land under power wires? Last year we walked thru a what i thought was a hiking trail, but now i know its a snowmobile trail. Should i have asked permission to the guy that land abuts it?
In this day and age it's very hard to believe you can't find someone who has a phone number you want even if it's a cell phone. If you don't want to knock on the door just put a message in the mailbox. I answer the door when people knock. I may be cautious and possibly armed, though you won't know it. I'll be polite and helpful and will most likely grant your permission to use our land for whatever you have in mind as long as it seems reasonable. You can use a phone, borrow a jack, flashlight or what have you but if you approach in an aggressive manner then I will react accordingly and the outcome is not my concern.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:59 AM

1 posts, read 2,114 times
Default criminal perversion, dark doings

Wow
going back to the beginning of this thread

recently i was in a "group" where a person said they were shot with a BB gun at a holiday party
when asked what was done they replied that the alcoholic shooter was taken to a former police officers basement where he had his own private jail cell and would be kept there until further notice.

and no one seemed to care or thought it was wrong

interesting

Old 06-01-2011, 11:00 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
What is the Volvo Line? Sorry new to the Maine lingo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine