Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 04:06 AM

885 posts, read 1,494,340 times

Advertisements

I bought a wood stove late so I ended up paying $230 a cord, cut ,split and delivered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 08:32 AM

473 posts, read 714,472 times
a lot of us have wood boilers and 10-12 cord is pretty average for that type of unit, BUT- we get our hot water off it, we use it year round because its cheaper than electricity, gas or oil for hot water and it heats the whole house just like a furnace, so we arent just heating a room. also, for those of us that i know with wood boilers, we buy our wood full length by the truck load, my husband and i buy 2 truckloads at a time every february, which is enough for about a year and a half. we cut it to length and split it ourselves whenever the weather is fit- usually takes three hours or so a day for about a week or two to get it all cut and then we rent a splitter for a half day. we do it then because its cooler and no black flies- a 20 to 30 degree day is optimal for working outdoors. its seasoned and ready to use by the end of the summer. not sure what a truckload goes for now, all depends on weight and type of wood. but it costs significantly less to heat the house even at 10-12 cords.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:25 AM

131 posts, read 410,660 times
Thanks mommax3plus2! I was starting to worry that it was way too much. The boiler does heat our water as well. Do you own a splitter or rent one? We have 2 seasoned cords now. Do you suggest we just try to buy split and seasoned wood now to get us through winter?

Old 10-11-2011, 01:30 PM

151 posts, read 199,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekh32 View Post
Thanks mommax3plus2! I was starting to worry that it was way too much. The boiler does heat our water as well. Do you own a splitter or rent one? We have 2 seasoned cords now. Do you suggest we just try to buy split and seasoned wood now to get us through winter?
12 cords, that is a BIG pile of wood, we have a new 1400sq.ft. bungalow with a full basement and we used 2 1/2 cords last year, ordered 2 cords this year, and we are 200 miles north of Maine (Canadaland) and I'm sure it's colder here than Maine. Is the house old, and/or insulated? windows eat up most of the fuel bill too. We pay $140 per cord of hardwood, cut, split, delivered and it's aged about a year.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:12 PM

473 posts, read 714,472 times
we rent a splitter because we get some pretty big wood every time we think about buying one, the size we need just is too expensive.
we paid about $24 per thousand for hard wood, works out around $900 a load- somewhere between 6 and 7 cord of wood- so we figure 16-1800 a year for heat and hot water is pretty good- last time we were getting ready to write out a prepay check for oil (several years ago when price spiked) they were looking for $5k for about 600 gallons of oil and 400 of propane- we used that money to buy the wood boiler.

our house is not yet 20 years old- 24x36 cape with 18x22 addition, we heat the basement too.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:08 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,199,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommax3plus2 View Post
a lot of us have wood boilers and 10-12 cord is pretty average for that type of unit, .
If you are burning 10-12 cords of wood to do anything, you are paying WAY to much. As I said, I heated 2100 sq. feet with 3-4 cord. There is no way that heating my water costs more than two cord, so you are paying DOUBLE what I was. And, if you are running that wood-boiler all year round you are producing tons of pollution and wasting tons of BTU's.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:25 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
The sales pitch for wood furnaces is the day-to-day convenience of thermostat operation. Set what temp you want the house to be, and the furnace will handle the rest. It is a convenience issue.

Also that by having it outside it is seen as cleaner. Not clean in the context of air pollution, but clean in terms of wood particles and ash in your house. You can keep your carpet clean longer since nobody is hauling firewood into your house. The convenience of less house cleaning is a big selling point.

Nobody said they were fuel efficient.
Nobody said they do not smolder.

Picking on how much wood they use, or how much smoke they put out are not topics printed on sales brochures.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:35 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,199,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
The sales pitch for wood furnaces is the day-to-day convenience of thermostat operation. Set what temp you want the house to be, and the furnace will handle the rest. It is a convenience issue.
The best I ever had was a 2,000 square foot solar home I owned in Caribou. I heated it with a pellet stove for under $500. That was sweet.

My sister has one of those outdoor boilers, but she heats her water with electricity when she doesn't need heat. She likes it, and she lives far from her neighbors.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:56 PM

53 posts, read 176,275 times
This is a great thread, lots of things for me to think of as I am looking for my new home in the spring.

Not sure if I should start a new thread for this, but it fits in with the burning topic, if you were going to use a wood stove to heat with, would you get a regular one to burn cut and split wood in, or one that burns pellets? which is better, and cheaper to heat with?

Old 10-12-2011, 02:58 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safecracker View Post
This is a great thread, lots of things for me to think of as I am looking for my new home in the spring.

Not sure if I should start a new thread for this, but it fits in with the burning topic, if you were going to use a wood stove to heat with, would you get a regular one to burn cut and split wood in, or one that burns pellets? which is better, and cheaper to heat with?
Pellets are easy and convenient, but the regular wood stove still works when the power is out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: