Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 10:09 AM

378 posts, read 1,030,561 times

Advertisements

First thing I'm doing is plugging in my computer and watching how fast forest hides from me !! LOL !! just kidding forest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
I wanna live near you two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 06:47 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,344,504 times
Many thanks Writer! I can't wait to find our home and have some birds running around. Have a couple prospectives to check out. I like the house in Milo better but the property in Levant might be a better location. I am so anxious to make our move.
I have had some feedback (thanks to those of you who have responded) on these areas. Am still interested to hear anything anyone has to share about section of Maine.

Old 08-25-2007, 08:09 PM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Levant and Milo are both nice areas.

I was in Levant today buying hay

Old 08-25-2007, 08:18 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times
Talked to a good friend today, her husband got bit by his chainsaw over in Old Town Wednesday. In true Maine fashion he told the woman who's property he was working on that he'd "Be back to finish the job tomorrow" as the EMTs were getting him in the ambulance.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:10 AM

We are not raising turkeys this year.

We only just finished eating the last of our 40 pound birds from last year.

We do have four dozen layers, and we are pleased with the market for fresh free-range eggs.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:26 PM

Ohh I can smell the maple cured bacon sizzling next to those free range eggs.
We are still looking for our piece of Maine farmland. My biggest concern is still the job market. Maine seems to be a great place for retirees and some professionals but the future of a hard working blue collar guy like me seems glum. I hope I'm wrong.

Old 08-27-2007, 07:58 PM

Fortunately I qualified for pension at 42, and so I am still relatively young and able to enjoy this wonderful area. If we had gone to an expensive area I certainly would not be able to afford buying land, let alone living here, on my pension. We still have one child attending school, so we do not have an 'empty nest'.

Since you are not near pension age [for your career field] and most continue working, then perhaps it would be more wise to locate an employer first.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:38 PM

Though after getting out of the Army in '93 I have worked a wide variety of jobs, my skills and interest lie in construction and carpentry. I have been self employed for many years and am well equipped. My wife is a LNA with 10+/- years experience. We are thrifty and resourceful and really don't desire riches but we still need to work as we are not wealthy people. I don't mean to sound pessimistic but it sounds like if you don't have a BA, a trust fund or retired Maine might not be all it's cut out to be in these threads. I really hope I'm wrong about this. In the mean time we will keep looking for our homestead in Maine and listening here.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:52 PM

My pension provides an income that equals a fulltime minimum-wage job. So if I were flipping burgers, I would earn the same. My wife works part-time in a grocery store on their loading dock [24 hours a week].

Between the two of us, we can afford it here. We bought 42 acres of riverfront forest and we are building a house.

If you are a skilled and experienced carpenter, and your wife is a LNA; then unless you have fourteen children that you support, you are better prepared to buy land and build a house here then we are.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:27 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,074,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
We are not raising turkeys this year.

We only just finished eating the last of our 40 pound birds from last year.

We do have four dozen layers, and we are pleased with the market for fresh free-range eggs.
Perhaps you might reconsider on the turkeys. I'm not much for raising/slaughtering livestock, but I'd gladly trade ale and mead for fresh meat and eggs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: